Guide: Application of Rain-X

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide: Application of Rain-X
Here is a guide of how to apply Rain-X for it to be as effective as possible. Rain-X is a water repellent for glass just like you would use wax on a cars body work. The main reason to apply a rain repellent is it aids visibility during rain or heavy down pours by beading the water and causing it to glide straight of rather than grip the windscreen and reduce visability.

First up you need a windscreen
[Image: SAM_0731.jpg]

For best application always do on a cloudy day or in the shade a hot windscreen will cause cleaning products to mar the surface and and soon disappear leaving it worse than you started. First up if you are applying this when you have not washed the car prior then apply a glass cleaner to remove heavy dirt.
[Image: SAM_0734.jpg]

AG Fast Glass is a good cleaner usually with this product the less is better for effective use but in this case heavy soiled areas need a good soak. so apply quite heavily allow to soak and then remove with a microfiber cloth.
[Image: SAM_0737-1.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0740.jpg]

Next take a piece of clay to remove baked on contaminants on the windscreen and use as you would using it on body work. Use plenty of lube to prevent the clay marring on the surface, work small areas at a time and remove the excess clay lube before going onto the next step. Doing this removes the contaminants off the glass so the rain-x will bond to the screen rather than the contaminants, this also leaves the glass smoother and prolongs the Rain-X life.
[Image: SAM_0743.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0749.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0752.jpg]

Then use the glass cleaner to clean the surface again before the next step. The next step is to polish the screen this is to further remove any grime or contaminants on the glass also aids in the application of Rain-X. You can either use a glass polish or a standard body work polish. Avoid using polishes with silicone, Resins, oils and fillers as this will repel the Rain-X of the glass. Here iv used Megs ultimate compound along side with a waffle pad or microfiber cloth.
[Image: SAM_0755.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0760-1.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0761.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0764-1.jpg]

Buff of and remove all polishing residue and clean the glass again with a glass cleaner.

The Rain-X itself comes in 2 main forms off the self. The Rain-X itself or as a 2in1 glass cleaner. Id suggest using the Rain-X itself as the 2in1 does not seem to work as well just like most 2in1 products. the 2in1 i would suggest to be used as a additional to top the protection up and clean the glass.
[Image: SAM_0767-1.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0771.jpg]

Apply in small doses a little goes along way, working 1/4 of the screen at a time apply on a microfiber cloth in circular motions first then horizontal then vertical for even effective coverage. Allow to dry and remove with a deep plush microfiber you can re apply if you feel needs to although one aplication is enough.
[Image: SAM_0773.jpg]

Finished Product
[Image: SAM_0776.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0779.jpg]

Number of towels used!
[Image: SAM_0782.jpg]

Pictures and Video of Rain-X in Action
[Image: SAM_0787.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0790.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0793.jpg]
[Image: th_Rain-X.jpg]
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Nice guide Smile

RainX is useful on all sorts of stuff, I use it on my motorcycle helmet too.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Good little guide buddy. Never thought about prepping the screen so much before, I just used to wash the car, dry the windscreen and then apply the rain-x.

Also, got confused looking at the photo of the wipers, took me a minute to realise what I was supposed to be looking at lol
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Good little guide buddy. Never thought about prepping the screen so much before, I just used to wash the car, dry the windscreen and then apply the rain-x.

Also, got confused looking at the photo of the wipers, took me a minute to realise what I was supposed to be looking at lol

lmao you plank Dan!

I am with you though on the wash/dry/apply theory, thats how ive always done it. I would never be without a good layer of rain-x on my windows. Works wonders on my rear window for visibility as well, considering i dont have a rear wiper! Big Grin

Might have to give the whole prep thing a try next time i apply it.... :think:
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Does this really make that much difference?

Ive found a clean windscreen and a spray of fast glass everytime I clean the car seems to bead rain off nicely anyway....and requires much less effort! lol I assume this lasts much longer though?? And what about dirt getting stuck to it, does it just get washed straight off with the next rain? Smile
Thanks given by:
as above, never thought about spending time on the glass. but i will now i know.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have found it makes the glass go smeary when using the wipers ...
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Toxic-Jake Wrote:I have found it makes the glass go smeary when using the wipers ...

Probably not applied it correctly then, or you applied it to a dirty windscreen. My first application went smeary, but then i gave the windscreen a thorough cleaning, and the second application was fine, never had a problem since. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Tempted by some of this. As my windscreen wipers are rubbish
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
as with everything prep is key to a good finish. that little step extra can make all the difference. which is why theres cleaning a car then Detailing a car. Few more guides to come once iv pulled my finger out

Thanks given by:
At first I was like, why do you need a guide to do rain x? Wash, squirt, wipe! But then I read it... And now im like... Totally gunna do this!
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Carlack stuffz is bettorr:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-an ... d_348.html
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
maybe a better product but this stuff can be bought for <£5 and available of the self in most supermarkets.

Thanks given by:
What screenwash do people use with rainx? I've been using just plain water, but it doesn't really work for the bugs that end their lives upon my windscreen in the summer! lol
Thanks given by:
Never felt the need to go through all that prep, just wash the screen down and apply

Rain x has being around far longer than clays and most polish on the market

Most polish on the market says not to use on windscreens as it can cause a wiper smear when wet!

I'll stick to the way the manufacturer suggests to apply it
Thanks given by:
swampy Wrote:Never felt the need to go through all that prep, just wash the screen down and apply

Rain x has being around far longer than clays and most polish on the market

Most polish on the market says not to use on windscreens as it can cause a wiper smear when wet!

I'll stick to the way the manufacturer suggests to apply it

you choose what you like to be fair the crap that can be pulled off a wind screen is far better stuck on piece of clay than on the windscreen for the rain-x to absorb into. As for polishes have been around for 100s of years rain-x since the early 70's. clays yes were in the 80s but make removal of contaminants the polishing if your using a polish which leaves smears its a pants polish containing silicone and resins and oils. hence use of a compound which decent one have none for example menzerna

Thanks given by: