Tuning for fuel efficiency

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuning for fuel efficiency
is there any way to increase mpg via tuning or increase low end torque on a dturbo
Thanks given by:
yes . . . . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Suppose just a light pump tunevwould help get up to speed a bit better, cant think you would increase mpg much though that way. Most people tune for power Wink
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
a moderate stage one tune will see better mpg and more low down torque . . . . . you'll go up hills in higher gears than before because of the extra torque . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Must .................... resist .......................................... trolling..................................
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2014, 08:20 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Must .................... resist .......................................... trolling..................................

Must.................resist................................banning...............!!!!! lmao Tongue
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yes you can and also using the most modern and efficient of the turbos will help too so pop on a GT15

Sadly the best gains will come from fitting a HDi box and narrower tyres and then working on aerodynamics so making a front and rear undertray will be a very good start.
Thanks given by:
I can confirm a hdi bix is great. Got one in mine. Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
alright nice one guys, yes i know tuning is for power and thats the main reason im doing it. im just wondering if theres any way to tune it in such a way to have abit of compensation or will driving it like a granny after tuning be more economical. cheers
Thanks given by:
Dont drive like a granny. It will labour the engine causing less fuel efficient. Use the turbo. Turbos make things more efficient. Revving the bollocks off it obviously wont help though
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
hmmm thank god. ive got a mate with a 306 hdi esate(non mover) that hes let me have what ever i want from it, whats the turbo likely to be. and how big a job would it be do change the box or should i buy one (removed from a car) and just get a garage to fit it
Thanks given by:
Turbo from hdi wont fit. Check yours if its a later 306 it will likely have a k03 or gt15 which are the ones you want. The box isnt a bad job just time consuming. I think toms306 done a guide on fitting. If your pulling the hdi to bits pull the rods out they selk for 50 quid anyway. Also make sure you have a bosch pump. Would be better but bot vital. If your gonna end up doing a turbo at same time though would be easier just pulling engine out imo.
Thanks given by:
bosch pump and run on veg. Then dont worry about mpg due to 50p a litre fuel!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Get it on it stage one tune Smile = better low/midrange torque so you wont have too drop gears as much plus you will smile everytime you want too rag it Tongue  Then you will want stage 2 bigger turbo / modified bosch etc . Its the love off xuds we always want more Smile 
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2014, 09:44 PM)Piggy Wrote: bosch pump and run on veg. Then dont worry about mpg due to 50p a litre fuel!

^^^^^ This...... Good job I'm on cheap fuel I'm lucky to get 35mpg on mine normally average 30mpg.......

Thanks given by:
(16-12-2014, 09:06 AM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(15-12-2014, 09:44 PM)Piggy Wrote: bosch pump and run on veg. Then dont worry about mpg due to 50p a litre fuel!

^^^^^ This...... Good job I'm on cheap fuel I'm lucky to get 35mpg on mine normally average 30mpg.......
How are you driving!! I regually get 50+mpg every fill up with veg
Thanks given by:
I'd wager you've got too much smoke but can't see it then. I was getting around 30-35mpg on the veg. Turned the screw back 1/2 a turn and it's not that much slower and mpg shot past 40 on similar runs.
Thanks given by:
How are you getting 30mpg!?

I never dropped below 45mpg on my stg1 tune xud9 and running 100% veg...no matter how i drove!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Stop start constantly because of my job, slight smoke off boost grey in colour not black, boosting around 16psi.....

I got more mpg when I was on 11mm, I don't understand the shite mpg either apart from the constant stop start. It's something that annoys me daily I've tried advancing pump made no difference. My only thinking now is a more efficient turbo to bring power in lower down, just glad the fuel is only 25p per liter.

All that said I can't remember ever having a d turbo getting over 40mpg

Thanks given by:
Assume I had too much fuel turned into it and driving at 3K in 5th for long distances was 10psi on the gauge with a T2 and getting the 30-35mpg.
Flooring it the peak on the guage was 20psi by 3K. I like flooring it. I grew up with VTEC. It's a habit.
That's what was killing the MPG. Doing local journeys or low ave speeds it was fine and getting 40's.
But I need to cruise at high speed, so I'm clearly in need of a higher rolling radius and/or a HDi box.

Plus backing off the fuelling a little as it was far too much fun and coaling with ease.
And I probably do not drive with mechanical sympathy, but then if it's capable of spinning up the turbo by 2K with coal, then TBH I'm happy driving it that way.
Too used to the DI with VNT.
I'll change my tune when I start monitoring things and realise the EGT's are too high. Tell then I'll find limits the dumb way.

I've often had low MPG in whatever I drive compared to some that own the same car.
So either I'm driving much faster and more aggressively that others, my cars have always had problems Smile or some people exaggerate.
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2014, 03:58 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Stop start constantly because of my job, slight smoke off boost grey in colour not black, boosting around 16psi.....

I got more mpg when I was on 11mm, I don't understand the shite mpg either apart from the constant stop start. It's something that annoys me daily I've tried advancing pump made no difference. My only thinking now is a more efficient turbo to bring power in lower down, just glad the fuel is only 25p per liter.

All that said I can't remember ever having a d turbo getting over 40mpg

With your driving surely a petrol would be better!!  Get something that already runs LPG at 55ppl as well...

Though at 25ppl your veg must be pretty poor...doubt that helps the mpg!
Thanks given by:
25ppl is a good "normal" price to pay for collected oil from restaurants. If it's crap you don't pay anything. It's decent quality and I filter it plenty (more than I used to) it's all nice clear liquid.

Looked at lpg in past but I don't like the idea of an lpg tank in the boot I'd hate to be rear ended in a crash pop the tank and a spark, I'd hate to think of the explosion.

Thanks given by:
Oh my flipping goodness.

What is it with the myth of exploding lpg?!

Have you SEEN an lpg tank!?!? Its made like a tank! About 100 times stronger than the rest of your car!

Plus if you did manage to crack it or pierce it, goodness knows how, it would likely freeze before anything else!!

Still dont understand your low mpgs though, somethings not right there surely.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2014, 08:58 PM)Piggy Wrote: Oh my flipping goodness.

Have you SEEN an lpg tank!?!? Its made like a tank! About 100 times stronger than the rest of your car!

Plus if you did manage to crack it or pierce it, goodness knows how, it would likely freeze before anything else!!

This.. Ive seen one cut to peices ans they are like minimum 5mm thick.. Smashed it with a sledge hammer and not even a dent lol
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2014, 08:58 PM)Piggy Wrote: Oh my flipping goodness.

I didn't know that.... Now I do I'd consider one tbh...

You Carnt automatically assume that I know everything like your self piggy...... And using exclamation marks all the time is just stupid I no your trying to get your point across but know need to shout all the time!

Thanks given by:
Exclamation.......i take your point though, any more over zealous use of aforementioned marks piggy I'm changing your sig or fcuking with your life in general!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin pmsl
Thanks given by:
Hand bags are outt!!!!11!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Its no secret to know you already have messed with my sig, nickname, under name, and rep, which has never been reinstated.

!!!!''!'!!'!''!2-37_(3!37,!2'@"2);(,!!!!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-12-2014, 01:04 PM)Piggy Wrote: Its no secret to know you already have messed with my sig, nickname, under name, and rep, which has never been reinstated.

!!!!''!'!!'!''!2-37_(3!37,!2'@"2);(,!!!!!!

haha I know mate, but in honesty it wasn't all me, I'm only kidding by the way as regards this thread, as regards rep well.... I left you with some, I'm not entirely heartless, I'm sure when we meet eventually we'll get on like a house on fire, I might even get you a pint for your missing rep lol x
Thanks given by:
Sly spelling edit Chris......i see all Tongue
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  K14 efficiency/ boost pressure question simonh 13 3,062 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Last Post: colzyxx