hdi boost issue, please help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hdi boost issue, please help
could somone please advise me on my hdi, the car has: turbo back straigh through, front mount intercooler, cone filter and i belive it may have had its egr blacked, the car has also been mapped by bhp uk (burnley).

the car pulls nice to 3000rpm and then runs out of steam, when booting the car there is quite a loud whistle.

at 3000rpm the car it boosting to 15psi (which i think is low) and i i carry on through the revs to near 5000rpm the boost has backed of to 11psi (this was done under load)

could somone please give me some info
Thanks given by:
Is there much black smoke? Sounds like a boost leak tbh.
Thanks given by:
yes it smokes, not too much though, and yes it would make sense wouldnt it!
Thanks given by:
Boost leak be my first guess.
Spray bottle of water with loadsa fairy liquid, spray round all the joints of the manifold to intercooler and to turbo, rev the engine, watch for bubbles
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
cheers lads, glad to hear it is most likley to be a boost leak, am i right in thinking after a stage 1 map it boost around 20psi ish?
Thanks given by:
No, boost will stay at stock levels on a stage 1. They do generally 'die off' after around 3,000 rpm so don't expect a huge improvement but it should be better
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
its this why people fit manual boost controllers? to alter there boost, if thats the case could i not adjust my turbo manualy via the actuator/ waste gate?
Thanks given by:
You could, but doing so would be next to pointless on a car without an intercooler.
Thanks given by:
He has got a front mount danny lol sounds pretty standard to be fair, if there was a boost leak I doubt it would make 15psi
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeah it has a front mount and bhp uk confirmed they re mapped it
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's my bad.. should never skim read!

You'll probably see 18 psi of boost perhaps, but it depends on how much fuelling they've put in the map. Honestly, big tuning companies don't generally get very good results from these engines as they're usually a generic map, the well known forum tuners, prosteve, whippy, JP etc.. have been known to get very good results at a good price. Believe someone on here got a longlife remap along with an SS exhaust and saw 2 hp increase. Just worth bearing in mind if you're chasing HP
Thanks given by:
good point mate, il check for boost leaks, i cant find any il look into getting another map put on it, how would i go about getting in touch with these hdi map geniuses? and yes i am chasing horse power!
Thanks given by:
Pro steve is contactable on here as is JP (jammapic), they both have websites to, MrWhippy seems to have disappeared but still available to contact via email apparently.

If you're chasing horsepower, then these guys are the way to go, it'll be custom written for what you want/need from the car. You have the options of upgraded rail pressure sensors, higher flow HP pumps etc.. plenty of options if you're willing to splash the cash.
Thanks given by:
thanks for the info mate, im located in cheshire, do you know one would be closest
Thanks given by:
So you have an intercooler but only a stage 1 map, I assumed you were on S2. Sounds fine tbh then, plus its a diesel anyway, why are you anywhere near 5k! Tongue
Thanks given by:
all this has been done by the previous owner. and i was only reving it that hard as i want to see what boost it was making at high rpm
Thanks given by:
Sod all....turbo is out of its efficiency range by then. Smile
Thanks given by:
turbo runs out of puff at about 4250-4350
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Ahhhh...I assumed stage2 aswell as it was intercooled.

Psi seems fine then
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If it's quite flat it's probably just a MAF fault, very common. If you bring it to me I can set you up a proper remap and diagnose all the faults at the same time.
If you fit a boost controller before you come to me I can tweak the boost to suit the stage 2 map. If you don't want to change your clutch then I can limit the low down torque to stop it from slipping.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
hi pro steve, where are you located? that would be ideal, how would i solve my maf issue?
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2014, 08:03 PM)dirtyboost89 Wrote: hi pro steve, where are you located? that would be ideal, how would i solve my maf issue?

Steve is at Bristol
Thanks given by:
ouch thats 145miles away, i guess its worth the drive!
Thanks given by:
yeah, I bet that max power cone filter has killed the maf. I missed that was fitted.

highly recommend getting standard air box and filter on it and chuck away that cone....and grab a spare maf for it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
will do chap im not big into k&ns tbh
Thanks given by:
Well what I do is some live testing and from the MAF value I can figure out if the MAF is dead, EGR is open, intake piping is off, boost leak etc, even without an actual fault code Wink
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hdi boost issue? ct-hdi 8 1,581 08-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Last Post: Poodle