Engine removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine removal
Thinking of taking my engine out for a few reasons to do Cambelt,clean engine just wondering if it's a hard job to do? I have a bit of knowledge and fairly handy with tools,
Thanks given by:
Nah not that bad. Time consuming more than anything. Obviously a crane is a must and a few buckets for the various different fluids you'll have to drain.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I am thinking of exactly the same to do my cam belt but I need to do a clutch too.

Its an easy enough job to have the engine out, work of a couple of hours. One of the biggest pains in the arse is undoing the hub nuts to get the drive shafts out.

The whole front end can be removed by unplugging the 3 plugs on each headlight, one on each fog light, the 3 bolts across the bottom of the bumper (if they are still attached, most are gone) and then just undo the 4 13mm bolts that hold the slam pannel
Thanks given by:
Undoing hub nuts is easy. Getting the driveshaft intermediate bearing out on the other hand... Confused
Thanks given by:
Leave the intermediate in if you are removing the engine...
Just split the inner joint (take boot clip off) ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Nah sod splitting CV joints. its 2 11mm nuts to release the center bearing then a hammer and chisel to knock it out.
Thanks given by:
Take clip off, pull shaft, no need to even remove hub nut, just ball joint.
Then can get to those 11mms while engine out!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(14-12-2014, 10:37 PM)Piggy Wrote: Take clip off, pull shaft, no need to even remove hub nut, just ball joint.
Then can get to those 11mms while engine out!

I found it easier to do this way than taking the hole shaft out
Thanks given by:
I just whip the 2x11mm's off, air rachets are your best friend for it, then you just get dum dum's best friend out a bfo hammer and a drift
Thanks given by: