Why do you own a 306?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you own a 306?
Just wanted it for the engine. Then got driving it and actually quite enjoyed hooning it around and drove it longer than expected.
Done about 4K miles in the thing from mid Aug to end Nov.
Since it had no heaters I've clearly liked it or would have gotten something else to replace or sorted the passat sooner.
Thanks given by:
for me it was the insurance and for what you could get out there on the market, made it the best package, for me. it was either the 306, rover 25 or the Nissan almera.
Rover was out of action so no way was I going to pay £££ for a car that has f*ck all backing,
Nissans are expensive to fix when they go wrong.
ford, and Vauxhall were pricey insurance wise, citron only had the saxo, and the same goes for Renault with the clio. ( both of those two would have been a bastard for insurance, I would have been better off staying with the metro I had at the time.
since then in 2005 I have stuck with the 306, The HDi is a proper cracker! I think its the only one on here that isn't tuned lol.
Thanks given by:
Had 1 as my first car that i bought with the head gasket gone. Done the head gasket with some help from my mate and had that car for a year till i put it through a hedge. Had a 205 for a couple of months while i saved up money and bought the black dt that i still have.

I dunno what it is or why i really like them but there is just something about them and cant imagine myself without 1.

I would argue that the 306 was the last decent car peugeot made and is a shame they stopped making them. Its really is surprising how many you still see about these days
Thanks given by:
I always liked 306's when I was growing up, then a couple of years later my elder brother bought a gti6 and that was it I was sold!
After passing my test I really wanted a gti6 but obviously couldn't afford to insure one so my first car I went for a 165bhp Renault 19 16v which ended up costing me 3 grand a year to insure lol.
After tye first year I decided the ridiculous insurance costs got to be too much so I flogged the Renault and bought my 1st 306, a blaze yellow 1.6xs with a gti6 interior. I LOVED that car especially the way it handled. I just wanted a little more go so on went a set of motorbike carbs, it was no gti6 but a very fun car none the less.
I then went down the Honda route fir the next 6 years owning 5 different mb6's of various specs. In February my son was born and when my missus went off for maternity I flogged the civic to help us get through and we went down to one car as it was only me working.
My missus went back to work full time at the start of December.
So early September I scraped together all the cash I could and started looking for a gti6 as It ticks all their boxes for me i can get my missus amd son in and even the german shepherd fits in the boot (even if i do have to fold her ears down lol) and I still had the urge to own one. Found a very tidy blaze 6 for £1000 so I snapped his fingers off and here I am. Once again a very happy 306 owner again.
It may not be ever reliable like the Honda but its certainly more fun!
Thanks given by:
Was looking for a fun GTI to have as a Trackday toy, chose between a golf mk4 and the 306. And ende up choosing the 306gti. It's cheaper to insure and faster in a straight line so the choice was quite easy :-)
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
Had a 1.1 8v 106 as a first car and always wanted to upgrade to a 106gti. When the time came it turned out to be cheaper to buy and insure a gti6 at the time so I went for my lovely old ph.2 gti6 which a lady kindly wrote off for me. Had a ph.1 gti6 while fixing the ph.2, then the ph.2 truly died, now I have my current ph.1 gti6. All three have been diablo. lmao
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
So my grandparents had the 1.4 and I was given it... Standard peugeot hand me down haha. It was mint condition but the headgasket went along with a lot of other things so stripped it for parts. Got the 1.8 with decent mods for a decent price at the time and loved it. Got the estate for £280 with a dead clutch. Fixed that with Tom and loaned it to him for a while whilst I was still enjoying the 1.8. Got the estate back off tom and the 1.8 went into storage. Estate failed its MOT so the 1.8 came out again and I had just started my first proper job so many monies were free which meant It got throttlebodies and aftermarket ecu etc. Had my first couple of goes on track with the 1.8 and it handles amazingly over the gti6.

Now Im doing stupid miles so cant afford to run the 1.8 so thats coming off the road and the estate is going back on the road! This means I can then turn the 1.8 into a full on track car.

Reason for loving 306s.... cheap parts, easy enough to work on, know my way around them enough to do the basics, the community is great and lots of good friends just from being here.
Thanks given by:
I have a 306 because I enjoy shooting rods out the block/gearbox failure/electrical gremlins/pump failures/headgaskets/high emissions/rear beam failure/twitchy back ends Wink & cramped engine bays to work in xox
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Step 1: Smash Mum's 106.
Step 2: Get something bigger and faster but cheap to run with the insurance money.
Step 3: Fall in love with 306.
Step 4: Smash 306.
Step 5: Use knowledge gained to buy an even better 306.
Step 6: Repeat steps 3-5
Thanks given by:
I don't have one any more but still love the forum and the XUD.

I ran Pajeros for a few years and loved them till I was coming back from Norfolk and the gearbox failed.
I was without a car and a mate had a 306 NAD that was not being used so I gave him £150 for it and really enjoyed driving it after 3 years of 4x4s.
That one died of gearbox failure as well and there was a beaten up D Turbo for sale near me that I got for £350.
It was lowered and had been stage 1 tuned with a K03 turbo and had me falling in love with the XUD straight away.

Think it lasted about 3 months, in which time the ball joint popped out of the wishbone and tucked the wheel/driveshaft/strut assembly under the passenger wing/door, luckily just in the carpark outside my house.

Bought a 1.4 for the Mrs daily, had that till we had too many kids for it.

Then I bought the Blaze and gathered all the bits to Bosch and TD04 it and loved it when it was done but realised it was just too impractical so sold it and bought the Berlingo.

Had a 205 GTI for a bit and now have 205 Turbo D. 

Pug Bug has fully got me. Smile
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
I passed my test in a 206, was gonna buy one but I didn't have much of a budget, I started researching other Peugeots and discovered the 306 was the best selling car of the 90's, right I thought, parts should be cheap, they were rumoured to handle well so I went to buy a DT from a back ally dealer, beam was shot on it but he had a 1.6 petrol in Genesis blue, fell in love as soon as I saw it tbh, bartered him down from £700 to £630 (seems a lot now lol). Did about 40k that car and passed it to the wife when she dented it and bought a xrdt, the diesel tuning bug got me then and I haven't looked back........can't beat a tuned xud9te.......the end Smile lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I needed a cheap runabout and always quite liked the look of 306's, plus you can get a pretty decent spec for next to no money. Boring but true!
Thanks given by:
Had a xsi phas 2 when I was 19,thought it was great and then had my eyes set on a gti6 which I got the next year then had that for about 2 years and then meeting people and learning about the car,I sorta stuck with it.Although I've had honda s and fords I always love my pugs.

I'd probably have a different car (hot hatch) but just go for somthing I know and love Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Good economy, diesel engine, great mileage Looks smart still driving car daily after 16 years owner cost £5.5K 1998 Used half the money to fill up tank than my old 14 year old Orion
Thanks given by:
Had a meeting with a client in the CCTV sector, years ago now. Our talking lead to cars, at the time I had an astra to drive around. I said it was looking for a diesel as the astra was petrol. He showed me something about the handling of the PSA cars. Then said his wife's 306 was a good drive.

A few weeks later a had my first 306 dturbo.

Followed closely by meeting KrisB, then you lot......the rest they say is History. (a very expensive history but I would not change that)

Here's to a few more years of owning a 306, once it's finished being built.
Thanks given by:
(hdi) Turbo and cheap insurance
Thanks given by:
I've had a a string of relatively quick cars that all have been good in their own domain.
Golf VR6 (2.8 6 pot)
5 x Punto GT's (1.4 8v turbo), one of which converted too 2.0 16VT from coupe
S14A 200SX (2.0 turbo)
B5 S4 (2.7 twin turbo)
E46 330D Touring ........current car

Then wanted a cheap track project, and remember a friend having a black 6 years ago, also remember it doing a belt lol. So started searching and come across my 98 Diablo 6. Every panel has lacquer peel but I only paid 400quid with 10months mot, and only want it for track so paint doesn't bother me. Can't wait to get her on at brands.
Thanks given by:
Bought a hdi years ago and fell in love with the looks, handling and the fact your always on edge of what's going to break next. Had a lot of cars since, astras, vectras, t5 transporter, mondeo St tdci (still got as family car), corollas, lagunas, transits, transit connects! I've had near 30 cars in the 10 years I've been driving.... But I always loved the 306 so now I have a gti6.

Something about them being more rough and raw than more modern cars. Just love them Smile
Thanks given by:
(30-12-2014, 07:07 AM)j-n-88 Wrote: Bought a hdi years ago and fell in love with the looks, handling and the fact your always on edge of what's going to break next. Had a lot of cars since, astras, vectras, t5 transporter, mondeo St tdci (still got as family car), corollas, lagunas, transits, transit connects! I've had near 30 cars in the 10 years I've been driving.... But I always loved the 306 so now I have a gti6.

Something about them being more rough and raw than more modern cars. Just love them Smile

Spot on.  I heard a lot of bad with the HDI  and keep the Phase 1
Thanks given by: