Manual Fan advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manual Fan advice
I've had a issue with my fans from the beginning, if you leave the relays in they are constantly on when ignition is on. I've checked the wires and the plug and it all seems okay so rather than try to fix this I'm going to wire a slimline fan in with a manal switch so I can turn them on when needed. My question is what will I need to do this? I'm not great with electrics but only 1 way to learn Smile all i can think of is..

* 12" slim line single fan
* relay (any in particular or are they all the same?)
* 2 way switch (on and off)
* wire

Is that all that's needed or am I missing things

Thank you guys Smile 
Thanks given by:
Fuse it as close to the battery as possible!
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2014, 10:16 AM)SRowell Wrote: Fuse it as close to the battery as possible!

Cool so what rating fuse will I need? 
Thanks given by:
I ran a 15amp fuse on my twin fan set up so you should be fine with a 7.5 or a ten, just make sure the wire is good enough more than anything really
Thanks given by:
yes. If you get wire from halfords it has the rating and examples of use on the back of it.
Thanks given by:
I wired mine through a relay. I used the alternator as a signal wire for the relay so the fans don't come on until the engine is running so even if you sit there with the ignition on the fans won't run so no flat battery lol
Thanks given by:
I made an overly complicated two stage circuit lol using a relay two fans single fuse, a thre position switch and a diode , gave me single fan setting on one side of the switch and two on the other for hot days or constant hooning, only had to fit the manual fans as my standard fan wiring had rotted on my phase1 and i knocked the wiring when fitting the fmic and it never worked since
Thanks given by:
What Wattage is the fan?
If its an 80w fan (most are) then it should have a 6.66amp fuse...obviously doesn't exist so bang a 7.5 in there.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2014, 09:17 PM)Niall Wrote: What Wattage is the fan?
If its an 80w fan (most are) then it should have a 6.66amp fuse...obviously doesn't exist so bang a 7.5 in there.

yep 80w fan and i was just looking at this wire. any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120922604583?_...EBIDX%3AIT
Thanks given by:
Hi,

The water-cooled FIAT 126BIS uses a 2-speed electric fan, controlled by engine temperature. I assume the higher fan speed will divert power from the back wheels, so best avoided if possible.

Thanks given by: