egr metal gasket

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
egr metal gasket
Ive had a absolute mare fitting a new inlet elbow gasket and the egr gasket fell on the floor while i was doing it and i think ive put it back in the wrong way as its whistling like mad now !!so does anyone know which way round it goes 
Thanks given by:
Did you put the gasket between the elbow and the blank or the blank and the egr pipe?
Thanks given by:
There is no blank mate
Thanks given by:
Was it a new gasket? As they're probably just a 1 time use gasket
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It looks reusable and has a lip on one side as if it locates on either the egr valve or the elbow but im not sure which way round it goes as it just fell out
Thanks given by:
The lip is crushable so it's one time use item as conner says, sometimes you can be lucky and get it seal again.

Try it the other way and see how you get on, you might be lucky.
Thanks given by:
Id try a smear of gasket paste or firegum tbh. The indented side goes inside the EGR pipe from my recollection, as the clamp has an Angled lip. :-)
Thanks given by:
Thanks phill ill give it a try hopefully ill get lucky, also if that was the wrong way round would it cause the elbow paper gasket to fail??
Thanks given by:
Also could i just do away with the metal gasket and make one out of a cereal box ?
Thanks given by:
Can try but my cereal box gaskets leaked worse than the originals lol.
Thanks given by:
I wont bother then i only fancy doing it once more so ill try and get it right lol, ive got to say the 2.0 hdi is a horrible engine to work on everything is so close together
Thanks given by:
Personally id buy a blanking plate off flee bay (around £3) which bulges the joint tight, and makes the Engine run, perform and drink fuel better etc. Put one on mine, and its a far happier machine giving better turbo response, high 50's mpg and a cleaner ride. To begin with the Engine bay does seem to be a bit of a pig, but you learn to work round things, and the standard of your mechanics gets better. The main problem is the Engine is Angled to give better weight distribution (which Peugeot started in the 205 GTI era) and as the 306 was never designed to accommodate a large 2ltr lump in the first place, they basicley shoehorned it in.
Try taking a turbo off lol, and keeping the skin on your fingers. A good tip is don't always follow Haynes, and try to obtain certain Peugeot inhouse software, which tells you how to work round things. Plenty of help on here too :-)
Thanks given by:
To be fair this engine isn't to bad to work on, it's only the egr and turbo on the back of the lump. On a lot of car there are a lot more components behind the lump HP pump, alternator and starter to name a few.

I'm sorting a boost leak on my girlfriends 206 HDI as we speak. I found there wasn't even a metal gasket on this one.
Thanks given by:
Agree'd the HDi isn't too bad to work on except the turbo and EGR. I find much more problems with seized or rusty bolts than access on them!

That said, can't beat the PD Golf for access...everything was so easy to get to, even the turbo down the back! The 1.6 Focus engine is fairly small but they seem to have packaged it poorly. I mean I've never done an oil filter change before that requires removal of the airbox and unbolting a boost pipe! lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metal intake pipe to turbo pug306driver 0 635 01-06-2021, 08:06 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  2.0 HDI Cambelt Tensioner Plastic vs Metal Tom85 3 1,355 24-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  metal rocker covers??? dr_jekyll 14 1,757 29-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Last Post: welshpug