Oil on plugs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil on plugs?
Hi guys

Thought I would give my car a service today after having owned it for a couple of weeks.

Put a Pipercross panel filter in, and then went on to changing the plugs.

When I took the old plugs out, they seemed to have oil on them? What would this suggest?

The furthest left plug looking at engine head on had the most, the other three were not too bad. Electrodes were fine but the bottom half of the plug where thread is had oil over them.

Engine is 1.8 16v (2001 XS).

Cheers
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
any smoke on strart up? usually after been left for a day or 2
Thanks given by:
Self lubricating plugs, at least they wont get stuck! lol

I'm sure I remember having the same thing on mine though. Was something like the cam cover leaking and the oil ran along the coilpack and down onto the plugs.
Thanks given by:
It had been sat a couple of months before I bought it. And yes smoke on startup for a while but don't know if this is because it is cold as it doesn't get started for a couple of days at times in this cold weather.

And it has just been sat on my driveway the last two weeks as well, and I start it up every day or so.

I don't get my licence back until 1st Jan so can't drive until then, so it will be sat for another month with just being started up and warmed up every few days.

Might be worth changing the cam cover gasket then? Easy to do?

Cheers
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
Does it use any oil?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
As above, can't really comment on that until I can start to drive the thing.
Thanks given by:
Tbh, these 1.8s weak point is the valve stem seals. If they go, it will use oil. Easiest way to tell is if you get a puff of blue smoke when you pull away from the lights. If so and its using oil obviously, chances are that head needs to come off.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2014, 05:40 PM)Ash J Wrote: And it has just been sat on my driveway the last two weeks as well, and I start it up every day or so.

I really wouldn't be doing this tbh. You'd be better off leaving it a coupe of weeks than cold starting it and just idling every other day!
Thanks given by:
Roger that, shall bear that in mind. Just didn't want the battery to die, but it had a brand new battery fitted when I bought it so should be fine.

Cheers Niall. I will inspect further when I can actually drive it and see if it's using oil and if there is any smoke. In the mean time it will be sat on the drive!
Thanks given by:
You could leave the battery disconnected, unless you've got some 90s aftermarket immobiliser that will throw a fit lol.

You have to idle for at least 20 minutes or so just to re-charge the battery to the state it was in before starting, so starting it every other day won't really be helping it anyway.
Thanks given by: