Engine vibrating

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine vibrating
Hey got my 306 2 weeks ago its a 1997 1.6 , done 190k kms i live in menorca (spain), the car is from the mainland. ive tidied up bodywork exc, and i plan to get a sportex exhaust, 15" calibre motion 2 alloys and and deciding on what to do with the air filter. but 1st the engine is vibrating a lot when idling, and in turn the whole car and exhaust is moving. it is also sounding like a tractor and is down on power, now we thought it was to do with the exhaust which is blowing, but it seems to be many things. but from what i have read the idle sensor could need changing, and the engine mountings need checking, but that doesn't explain the lack of power and the noise. i don't have access to a ramp for a few weeks. so any ideas/advice is welcome.
Thanks given by:
It sounds like it's misfiring? That'll give you a rough noise and a lack of power. It could be due to many things though!

Has it had a service recently, especially spark plugs?

If its idling at the right speed (800rpm ish when warm) and doesn't stall then the idle valve is probably ok.
Thanks given by:
misfire; change the plugs, fit ngk . if its still misfiring try leads and lastly a coil pack (most expensive item)
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 04:59 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: misfire; change the plugs, fit ngk . if its still misfiring try leads and lastly a coil pack (most expensive item)

it will be getting a full service when i get the access to the ramp, and i had to replace a coil pack on my ford puma but it didnt sound anything near the same. there is also a petroly smell too. could it be the cat, i hope now.
Thanks given by:
leads all changed and plugs, fixed the acceleration problem, but the noise/vibration is the head gasket. 600euros.
Thanks given by:
turns out its not the head, a valve had cracked.
Thanks given by: