aux drive belt autoadjuster

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aux drive belt autoadjuster
hi dudes,

right, found where the belt squeak is coming from, the belt touches the auto adjust body and central allan bolt slightly when cold and stops squeeking when the eng warms up.............the central allan bolt is tight ( 8mm from memoery, same as the pre tension pulley bolt ) .............but........

question, the allan key I have for this will "undo" the allan bolt ( and is able to tighten it back up also ) but ........will the allan bolt come out when total slackened off and pass the chassis rail?? meaning that the auto adjust mech will come off without lowering the engine??

does anyone have one of these off at the moment......I presume there is a "pip" on the back of the "auto adjust unit" which fits into a hole on the engine, which locates and stops the "unit" from turning due to the sprung nature of the unit......

also , how long is the allan bolt, total length from allan head to the end of the thread, so I can suss if it can be removed without lowering the engine etc.......

the horrible rattling noise ( aux drive belt derived as the eng is lovely and quiet when running with the aux belt removed, but some noise from the clutch release bearing in think ) which goes away when the eng is hot, is due to the bottom belt run from the a/c pulley to the crank pulley flapping about, and also ( mainly I think apart from all the slight play in the pulleys when cold adding up ) due to the belts "memory" and tight curve about the alternator pulley, which goes away when the belt/eng is hot.......

as ever a brilliant forum and all help greatly appreciated Heart
Thanks given by:
last time i had that one off there was no need for the lower engine mount to be removed
Thanks given by:
It does come out without having to lower the engine. At worst, you can push the engine sideways a bit with a pry bar - obviously make sure you're pushing something solid and not a cambelt cover etc. Tongue

There is a 'pip' on the back to locate, but its only a couple of mm in length.

I don't know the bolt length, but I've changed a few without dropping the engine. I think the knack is pulling the pulley off with the bolt still in it (but not screwed into the engine). Don't think the bolt completely comes out on its own. It'll be obvious when you're doing it though!
Thanks given by:
As Tom says.

The auto adjuster bolt is 60mm and the manual is 50mm.
Thanks given by:
thanks dudes,

for warned is for armed, I think you know what i'll be doing ( cam belt and aux belt issues ) over xmas day and boxing day Smile........will report back........
Thanks given by:
Does your aircon come on automatically with the windscreen clear setting on the blower? Could well be that making the belt bounce, you won't see any noticeable difference from it not being warm, unless its knackered and been sat for months.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  aux drive belt pug306driver 2 734 31-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Jtrigga
  crank aux drive belt pulley pug306driver 1 979 23-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Slam Wagon
  Drive Belt Length darrenjlobb 13 3,998 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Last Post: welshpug