2.0 hdi vs 1.9 d turbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0 hdi vs 1.9 d turbo
I'm contemplating selling my hdi for a slightly older model as mine needs a clutch anyway and can insure an older one cheaper along with my bmw with classic insurance.

Are there any obvious advantages/disadvantages of a 1.9 d turbo over a hdi?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
You've opened a can of worms there lol.

Pros and cons to both, comes down to personal preference really!
Thanks given by:
Lol thought i'd hear a few opinions of people on here. I don't fancy paying £650 insurance if i can pay ~£200 for a similar/same older version lol
Thanks given by:
Is there really that much difference? They came out about the same price for me!
Thanks given by:
Your key is to go and look at the HDi forum and the XUD forum and read what the thread titles are called and what the majority of those threads consist of...

That'll be what you experience with your car generally.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2014, 07:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Is there really that much difference? They came out about the same price for me!

Classic car vs normal insurance. My hdi isnt old enough for the former
Thanks given by:
Ah I see, could get a 15 y/o HDi tbf, they started selling them on a T plate (99).
Thanks given by:
Thats what i'm thinking, but might consider a 1.9 d turbo, depends which one turns up first at a good price. Not like i'll get much for mine, considering it needs a clutch in the near future Sad
Thanks given by:
Or read one of the other HUNDRED threads asking this same ruddy question!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Xud is better.

Yeah thats right I went there!!!

Seriously though they both have pros and cons. I prefer the xud due to working on modern car electrics and ecus all day and like the mechanicals.

Other people. Not naming any. But Toms306 Wink prefer the more refined hdi.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Got to admit, the hdi is nicer to drive day to day. Throttle response mainly wins there for me.
Still prefer the 2.1 though! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
XUD is a nice simple engine, minimal electrics to the point that it's even possible to run one with no electrics at all if the stop solenoid was gutted of the plunger. I know that's a tad extreme, but it says how basic the engine is.
On the other hand, Hdi is much more technical, but far more efficient with it and uses more modern technology.

Personally, I love the XUD. If it's kept cool and well lubricated, they can achieve galactic mileages(not saying an Hdi can't as well).
Thanks given by:
I'd only get an XUD if it was in a 3dr Phase 1 with the GTI-style exterior (sports bumpers etc).

The HDi is not without it's problems, but it's quick enough to be interesting, quiet (tappy injectors aside) and very, very frugal.

It's all sensors with the HDi, but as long as they all work it's fine lol

It's diagnosing a fault which can be the fun bit. This forum is probably the best source for that sort of information.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2014, 11:44 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: I'd only get an XUD if it was in a 3dr Phase 1 with the GTI-style exterior (sports bumpers etc).

That's what i ideally want as i love the look of phase 1's. But i haven't seen any for sale anywhere, i'll keep searching
Thanks given by:
Good phase 1 D-turbos are getting a lot rarer than when I started buying them 5-6 years ago, quite hard to find a straight example without nsr rot, seem to be going up in price too....

Oh sorry, xud all the way Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Xud is shit.

HDi is boss.

/Thread
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
The xud is the better option if:
* you wanna run on veg
* you wanna mod it yourself
* do the majority of the work on it yourself
* want phase 1 epic coolness
* happy with mid 40s mpg (mine achieved this)

The hdi is the better option if:
* you want a modern diesel
* you want genuine 50mpg
* you want refinement, smoothness etc
* you want a modern one with good remote locking etc
* tax is £140 if you buy one of the last ones
* you can get an estate one easily (don't see many xud estates)
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Mostly agreed except you can do the majority of work on a HDi as well... My HDi's only ever went to the garage for MOT...if they made it that far. lol
Thanks given by:
I get just over 50mpg every single tank on my xud. And it runs veg
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
HDi is great if you don't mind going out one morning and it just won't start and you have to drag your laptop out, decipher "fault codes", replace 50 parts trying to find which one it was, becuase the fault code can mean a thousand different things. When HDis work, they're reliable as sin, but if it stops working, you've got a right job to try and get it back to working without it consuming your entire bank account in new sensors.

XUD is great if you don't mind it sounding desperately clattery when cold, you are aware that the headgasket WILL go if you neglect to keep your eye on coolant temperatures. People just assume you can twist the max fuel screw 180* and you get instant reliable power - not the case.

There's a stark contrast with how people look after HDis vs XUDs, you wouldn't get 60 quid Sid in there with the wire cutters bodging away with the HDi wiring loom, yet you'll get anyone in with an XUD because someone told them they're simple. You then get the classics such as bypassing the heater matrix, running it on the SHITTEST veg available, not changing oil, leaving it with little to no coolant in, allowing it to overheat in traffic because you couldn't be arsed to fix the fan wiring, then nailing it flat out up a hill.

It's just that thankfully the HDi will generally stop you from being a total retard in terms of bodging, it'll drop fuel quantity if the diesel or coolant gets too hot, it won't even run if most stuff is broken... Hence they give the perception of being reliable because you don't see the problems - it just stops and won't work instead!

Look after either and it'll give years of long service... It's up to you which you go for, but either you have to look after, it's just that one will stop you being a retard, the other won't and will break quite happily if you're not sensible.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
^^ what ruan said.
Thanks given by:
HDi's throttle response is awful.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it's tragic.

Poke the throttle... Half an hour later, oh look, the engine raised 5rpm.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like your TPS is broken Ruan. lol

Its not that bad tbf, you soon get used to it and give it a poke slightly earlier.
Thanks given by:
Honestly, HDis you can drive up the road and just randomly bash the pedal as fast as you like and it makes NO difference to what the car does... I've never driven a car with a map that fixes this yet - they're like the original granny spec stock map, just they're making 150hp rather than 90hp...

My V50 is really bad for it and the Siemens 8vs are the same, seemingly they have the throttle dashpot/hysteresis controlled by vehicle speed - which results in you tapping the throttle to raise the RPMs, you notice the engine responds in a certain way, so you pull away, then the throttle pedal response totally changes and almost stalls! Drives you nuts to begin with!

But as you say you just get used to poking the throttle 10 minutes earlier! To heel/toe the V50 you have to just depress your foot on the accelerator for 5 seconds which will then get it to about the right RPM... It's definitely not a case of a little "bwap" on the accelerator, lol! I'm sure it's amazing to stop people wrecking DMFs but it fucks me off royally that whenever you get in a modern fly-by-wire car, it can't respond to inputs properly!
Thanks given by:
The 206 hdi throttle response is pretty amazing tbf

You can mash and let off in .1 of a second and it will do nothing mind
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I know what you mean Ruan, guess it just doesn't bother me as much as it does you! lol

What does bother me is the 'hole' just above idle though, same on all newer diesels I've had but seems worse on the Focus. I've been told it's the EGR opening and blanking it would cure it, not sure how true that is though.

Can't heel toe in the Focus either, applying the brakes cuts engine power lol. I've never heel toe'd in my life though. lol
Thanks given by:
For me, it's the first diesel & turbo i've ever owned so just enjoy the torque lol compare that to jap cars that im used to, having to rev the hell out of them with no torque whatsoever
Thanks given by:
XUD, foot mashed into floor = guaranteed 100% collar movement and 100% delivery of fuel Wink
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Xud rules lol nice and simple to work on no electronic injectors for this guy or ecu,s :-)
Thanks given by: