Turbo swap time estimate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo swap time estimate
As some of you know I'm going to be fitting a K04 to my 205. It should be ready this week hopefully.
How long roughly will it take take to fit? I need the car pretty much everyday. I am expecting teething problems as it's just standard procedure with custom parts :roll:
I'm nearly a level 2 qualified mechanic so I know my way round cars to an extent.
I'm thinking 2/3 hours maybe? Then an hours driving then an hour picking up bits of engine off the road lol
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
I got my old turbo off and the new one on in 2 hours, working pretty quickly. But then as normal something caused problems and it took another 4 hours to get it all done.. (oil line would not line up)
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Not sure how different it is to a 306, but should be around that with your level of experience, add time in for rounded bolts and stuff that could happen !
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I removed a turbo from a donor car in scrappy, very sore back and in total, about 5/6 hours later we had it out, the faff of removing oil lines each end at awquard angles, with the exhaust studs, is a pita
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Yeah kinda what I expected. Luckily the engine hasn't been in long, while it was out all the manifolds where off so atleast I know the bolts wont be seized.

Cannot wait to the K04 on.
Had a little play with a Leon Cupra R TDI yesterday which resulted in him nearly stcking it on a round about and getting embarassed by a french diesel :clap:
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
If the turbo is already on the manifold it shouldn't take that long tbh, oil lines will be the fiddly bit
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Takes me about 2-3 hours to do a turbo change....

I've done it 14 times now, so that's a fairly accurate time, if it's your first time, expect 5 hours, because it's a bigger turbo - all day at least...

My advice: Don't think you can cut corners by not removing things that might be in the way, just remove them immediately, it'll make your life 500x easier rather than struggling.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
^^This pretty much, I would take the time to take the exhaust studs out as they just get right in the way
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, don't think you can get away with leaving some studs in, you probably could, but you'll be there for fecking hours trying to get it past, then trying to undo them with the whole weight of the turbo on them... It's a right twat.

The only one you CAN leave in is the cambelt end short stud on the inlet manifold.

Also don't cross thread the oil line into the block... Don't ask how I know this.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Yeah, don't think you can get away with leaving some studs in, you probably could, but you'll be there for fecking hours trying to get it past, then trying to undo them with the whole weight of the turbo on them... It's a right lady garden.

The only one you CAN leave in is the cambelt end short stud on the inlet manifold.

Also don't cross thread the oil line into the block... Don't ask how I know this.

How do you know this Ruan?? whistle
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Also don't cross thread the oil line into the block... Don't ask how I know this.

Also intrigued.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I remember the first swap I did, thought I could get away with leaving some studs in (completely forgot they could be removed in all honesty..) And spent a WHOLE day buggering about, getting very angry.

Done 3 myself now, the whole removing parts and fitting parts is the easyish yet time consuming part, the two bits I hate are oil lines and getting the turbo in/out the small gap.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Ruan Wrote:Yeah, don't think you can get away with leaving some studs in, you probably could, but you'll be there for fecking hours trying to get it past, then trying to undo them with the whole weight of the turbo on them... It's a right lady garden.

How do you know this Ruan?? whistle

DONT ask.....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I can't remeber are the T2/K14 oil lines the same? If so it would make life alot easier.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:I can't remeber are the T2/K14 oil lines the same? If so it would make life alot easier.

Yeah Wink
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Cheers mate!
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:I can't remeber are the T2/K14 oil lines the same? If so it would make life alot easier.

Yeah, the T2/K14 share one oil line and the GT15/K03 share another Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:I removed a turbo from a donor car in scrappy, very sore back and in total, about 5/6 hours later we had it out, the faff of removing oil lines each end at awquard angles, with the exhaust studs, is a pita

guessing you needed the oil lines?
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
There's a video somewhere that shows what happened to my face after that happened.
Thanks given by:
Joe Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:I removed a turbo from a donor car in scrappy, very sore back and in total, about 5/6 hours later we had it out, the faff of removing oil lines each end at awquard angles, with the exhaust studs, is a pita

guessing you needed the oil lines?

yep, always good practice to keep the oil lines, even if you dont need them NOW - could come in handy if you ever need to sell the turbo on again or something
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Mine took me about 10 hours in total but that included a walk to get some now turbo to down pipe bolts and grinding the old ones off. They seemed to have been made of cheese
Without those problems probably took about 8 hours for out and in but always expect problems. It is french after all!
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
id give your self a day, just to make sure all is ok afterwards.
Thanks given by:
A day might be a bit overkill , with some mechanical experiance I'd say 4/5 hours is fine.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ‘As new’ 1989 Peugeot 205 GTi to be auctioned; the estimate will likely astound ROBCAT 14 3,624 02-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Last Post: C2K
Smile Power Estimate Nathan1305 23 2,982 07-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  Anyone give me an estimate? Matt 27 7,592 12-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Last Post: C.A.R.