Monthly 2nd Car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monthly 2nd Car
(26-11-2014, 11:28 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, theres more to it than the post code tbh, hours of changing minor details to see what works best for one. Confused

Didn't realise your post code was so bad though, don't live in the city centre do you?
I live about 4 miles from the city centre, but it doesn't matter, all of Leeds and most of West Yorkshire is band F. It makes a huge difference. Send me your postcode and I'll get a quote.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah it does make a difference, but I meant there are loads of other factors. And some of them you'll be better for than me (employed, homeowner, etc).

My step Dads insurance increased moving down here from Barnesley lol!
Thanks given by:
Shocked 
New Fiesta ST Tom Inlove!
Test drove one yesterday and they are bloody awesome and amazing to drive!
Thanks given by:
If I could afford a new Fiesta ST it'd be a daily! lol They are epic though, tested one myself a couple of months back.
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2014, 09:47 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Yeah it does make a difference, but I meant there are loads of other factors. And some of them you'll be better for than me (employed, homeowner, etc).

My step Dads insurance increased moving down here from Barnesley lol!
Just got a quote based on a mates postcode in Pickering, North Yorks which is band B, 205 GTI 1.9, £101 Wink
Thanks given by:
Crikey, more difference than I thought!
Thanks given by:
Hi,

If you are going to cancel your VED standing order, do it in plenty of time, else you will be paying for the next month too. I see no reason why you cannot cancel as soon as you know you are taxed. BUT CHECK THAT ... previously a tax disc became void immediately it was surrendered, or retained when car was sold.

But beware the pitfalls. Big penalty if you do not make SORN declaration when tax period expires. Big penalty if you do not cancel tax and make SORN declaration when insurance expires.

Always tax it for 12 months. A penalty (5% ???) is added to 6 months tax, which you do not get back. So if you tax for one month on, two months off, four times a year, you will pay an extra 20%. Surrendering 12 months tax, the refund is pro-rata ... although trying to get my head around it makes my brain hurt.

I have read that you can (could?) not tax a car on-line during the same month that you made a SORN declaration. I have also encountered a problem when trying to tax a SORN'd car, on-line, at 23.00hrs of day before I wanted tax to start, but no problem after midnight. Maybe it was just me?

There used to be a scheme where you could "suspend" your insurance, mid-term, then re-activate at a later date. I think this was common when cars were laid up for the Winter. But the insurers may have "improved" their service since then. Most insurers have a Cancelation Fee (£35?) plus other penalties for early cancelation ... something like a refund of only 50% after 3 months, and 25% after 6 months.

Google 24 HOUR INSURANCE, phone and ask if they can help. I think they do up to a month at a time. But pricey, so you will have to decide which bullet to bite.

Thanks given by:
Hi,

I done a Google, came up with TEMPCOVER.COM

Thanks given by:
Got your message with your postcode Tom. 205 GTI 1.9 - £98 Wink
Thanks given by:
lol Which insurer is that with?
Thanks given by:
I just called up to add a celica with 17" alloys declared onto my policy along with the bmw coupe, £70/year extra for another car. Epic win!
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2014, 11:23 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: I just called up to add a celica with 17" alloys declared onto my policy along with the bmw coupe, £70/year extra for another car. Epic win!

how old are you buddy? Sounds like an epic deal!
Thanks given by:
He's a few years older than us Sam, 27/28 iirc! Liams also a similar age I think.

Looks like my best option for this would be classic insure for the whole year (if I could get it sub £200) and tax for 6 months and SORN for the other 6. ~£300 a year, then £50 for MOT and fuel can be added appropriately. Would it be worth it? Not sure atm...
Thanks given by:
I'm 27 lads, with 10 years NCB and no fault accidents in the last 5 years Smile
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2014, 11:26 AM)SRowell Wrote:
(28-11-2014, 11:23 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: I just called up to add a celica with 17" alloys declared onto my policy along with the bmw coupe, £70/year extra for another car. Epic win!

how old are you buddy? Sounds like an epic deal!

28. Makes no sense, it's £250ish to insure on its own but £70 inc admin fee to add it on as a 2nd car. 5000miles limit though for both cars included

Footman james ftwThumbsUp

Edit: i have 10 years no claims but a no fault claim in 2010 and a fault claim in 2012, first mistake i've ever made and wrote off a clio sport by changing lanes without checking blind spot
Thanks given by:
I tried an online quote with them but they couldn't quote for some reason. May have to find some balls and try phoning. Confused
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2014, 12:00 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I tried an online quote with them but they couldn't quote for some reason. May have to find some balls and try phoning. Confused

Yeah, i had that with certain cars i tried quoting online, you have to call up. Super friendly people, best service i've experienced by far.

Ironically, their quote on normal insurance for my hdi was £4000! Lol
Thanks given by:
tom your better off trying brentacre insurance, as they will mirror your no claims on a second car. which will push the budget up for you.
Thanks given by:
Brentacre are absolutely brilliant, been with them 4 years now.
Thanks given by:
Yeah will have to try a few. Smile
Thanks given by: