Cam belt change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam belt change
Look Welcome to the club, as Niall says, we've had a particular member that was a problem and always on the wind up, the way you write reminds me of him, but anyway I digress, try and take better care of your Pug than your Landy and pipe up if you need any help Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
You don't need to worry about that "particular member" anymore. Like i say, he won't be back. He's .nets problem now lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hi.

I spent nine years in the RAF as a motor mechanic/fitter (different meanings from Civvy Street). At 19 I (just me) was responsible for getting 300 driving school vehicles mobile every morning. At 25 I was in charge of vehicle servicability on a SAM site about 200 miles from Vietnam (not that us Brits were involved in that particular war). It was well known that the tattiest vehicles on camp belonged to the MT boys ... they knew just how far they could push things, and still keep moving. I have never walked home, nor called out the rescue services for anything that could be attributed to lack of servicing. Misfuelling? Yes. Punctures? Yes, but only recently. Blown piston? Yes. Broken wiper cable? Yes. OK, perhaps I do tend to treat my motors irrevently.

I bought the 306 as a hack, with the intention of driving it till it stopped, then get another. Frankly, I find nothing about to get excited over, but it has earned a lot of respect. And hey, a car is primarily to get from A to B, anything else is a bonus. Twenty years ago my car pulled 30mph/1000rpm and red-lined at 6500rpm. I decided that if I wanted to keep my licence, I'd better find a way of having fun without a testerozone pump. Old Land Rovers. (But I will try to include a piccy of my wife enjoying her 70th birthday prezzy).

I was surprised at how warm a welcome I got from this forum ... and then suddenly I became a target for poking with barge poles. OK, explanation accepted. I try very hard not to wind up, or offend people, but it does happen. Poking fun at French cars? I can justify from my own experiences, if you wish, but this is my first Peugeot, and I can't fault it, subject to a couple of age related niggles.

I will try to access my heater motor by lying on a plywood ramp resting on the sill, and come back if that doesn't help me.

In the meantime, can anybody guide me through my rejected password problems ... in words of one sylable, pretty please.

Thanks given by:
You are very welcome on here pal Smile

I do suggest trying some jobs yourself with guidance or even assistance from us chaps as I hate to see garages bank ra*e people like that! £70 for a oil n filter change!? Fully synth valvocrime...flip!

And remember, it gets you from Ato B in warmth and comfort, look after it! Best thing you can ever do to increase the longevity of a vehicle is regular oil changes. Smile

Oil n filter can be had for under £20 delivered from ECP online. Then a spanner and a old oil container for a drain tray and job done! Even have a cuppa T while waiting for it to drain! Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Oil n filter can be had for under £20 delivered from ECP online. Then a spanner and a old oil container for a drain tray and job done! Even have a cuppa T while waiting for it to drain! Smile
[/quote]

Hi Piggy,

My SWMBO insists that I am too old to roll in the mud. But I am not too old to wield a man-size hammer drill to put up pictures. Inconsistent!

A little anecdote, if I'm allowed ???

I had to do a service on an AEC Matador (I think 10,000cc engine) Never done one before, so constant reference to manual.

Drain oil. Check! Remove filter from bottom of sump and clean in parafin, then replace. Check! (Note that I had my hand inside the sump). Refill sump ... 48 pints. Check!

My 'oppo, down in the pit shouts "There's oil coming out the dipstick hole!". He was right. Double check capacities, book says 48 pints, notice board says 6 gallons. ??? Maybe I miscounted the number of jug-fulls?

Roll waste oil drum under drain plug, lift telescopic funnel, slacken bung until it starts to dribble oil, go for NAAFI break.

Return 20 minutes later, oil still dribbling from dip-stick hole. Slacken bung another quarter turn. Bung drops out. Bung is about two inches diameter. Bung falls into funnel blocks the pipe. Funnel rapidly starts to fill. Panic! I slap my hand over the drain hole to stop the oil coming out. Elbow hits the funnel, which promply telescopes back in the funnel. Oil in funnel bounces out ... all over me. Does this explain my aversion to oil changes? I utter a mighty oath, let the oil get on with whatever it wants to do, go into stores, book out some clean overalls. Mop up floor later. Don't tell Chiefie.

Explanation? This was a 4x4 truck, with the sump shaped to fit above the differential. The manual did not mention that there was a drain bung at both ends of the sump. I had only drained one end. Ooops!

At that time there was a Brycreem advert on TV, extolling the bird-pulling power af a dab. But it warned about being a "Two-dab man". Tell me about it.

I had further adventures with that particular Matador.

Thanks given by:
lol

Sounds like the kind of fail I'd make!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cam belt change dannyboy101 0 705 13-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Last Post: dannyboy101
  A/C removal and belt change philpemberton94 0 776 16-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Last Post: philpemberton94
  Belt change Scott_GT 4 1,455 09-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Last Post: Dave