XUD9TE into straight diesel PH3?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD9TE into straight diesel PH3?
Hi all, I bought a 5 Door PH3 straight diesel a few days ago for £280 to replace my d-turbo (RIP)

It was really cheap (280 quid with MOT to end of June) and, being a straight diesel, isn't very fast. I was just wondering if I would be able to swap the XUD9TE into it. I know that it'll fit on the same mounts but this car has an ECU which is throwing me off a bit, especially since i didn't think any mechanical diesel 306 had an ECU.

How would I go about making all this work? I don't even know where to begin so thought i'd ask all the Gurus on here. The shell of this car is fantastic and the axle is really tight and i love everything about the car apart from the way it goes. I also can't afford to buy another D-Turbo so please don't suggest doing that.

Many thanks!
Thanks given by:
Yeah the ph3s NADs do have an ECU.

But you don't need it if you're chucking the DT engine in...it's just the same as a HDi>XUD swap which has been done a few times now...
Thanks given by:
Brilliant news! Thank you so much! I absolutely adore this car and i think it looks great, I just want more power. Looks like me and my mates will be getting the engine crane out again, lol
Thanks given by:
Think it's all just a straight swap, just double check that you don't need the ecu left in anywhere for the remote central locking or anything. Other than that as long as you have the donor there all should be plug and play Smile
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
For the central locking you only need the BSI box under the dash.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the help. I had a look around forums and it seems that I need the D-Turbo wiring loom which will plug into the n/s chassis leg plugs and thats about it. So hopefully this goes well, I will start looking for an engine. I need boost again Tongue
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2014, 03:52 PM)Toms306 Wrote: For the central locking you only need the BSI box under the dash.

Fair doo's mate. Wasn't sure if it needed to communicate with the ecu at all

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
My central locking doesn't work anyway so I wouldn't have been loosing anything, haha Tongue
Thanks given by:
Just use a Ph2 (1997-1999) XUD9TE wiring loom - it plugs straight in.

Only thing you'll need to change is the dashboard clocks - they work off a different type of RPM signal that the ECU provides from a different type of flywheel sensor.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
have done one on these, drops in pretty easily, think left ecu in and just wired in a switched live from the ignition for the stop solenoid on the pump.
Thanks given by:
Always good to have someone who has done it Tongue What wiring loom did you use? Was it the one in it or a d-turbo one? Also, did you use d-turbo clocks to make the rev counter work?
Thanks given by:
I do belive the woring loom from the xud is just plus and play. So unplug the loom from the xud at the wing and just plug it straight into the new motor. Also you will need the xud clocks to get the rev counter to work.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
didn't change the loom out at all, used existing + finding an ignition switched +ve for the fuel pump solenoid

left it without a working rev counter too :/
Thanks given by:
I'm not too worried about the rev counter anyway. Thank you so much for your help!
Thanks given by:
Ph2 1.9 xud turbo clocks are straight swap too and with the loom from same will give you all working Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So if i swap just the ph2 clocks and use the ph3 loom it'll work? Or will I have to use the ph2 loom to make the clocks work? Just trying to make this job as simple as possible, lol
Thanks given by:
If I were doing it and based on what has been said above. I would get a d turbo engine, ph2 loom and ph2 clocks and fit the lot all in one hit so it all works.
May need the exhaust too, not sure but I assume the down pipe will be different Smile

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Yup, engine, engine loom and clocks all from the donor ph2 (I say ph2 because they've all rotted out the ear arch and are worthless now lol).

The cat pipe is also different as Dan says, but you'd probably want a decat anyway.
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2014, 08:09 PM)londondan86 Wrote: If I were doing it and based on what has been said above. I would get a d turbo engine, ph2 loom and ph2 clocks and fit the lot all in one hit so it all works.
May need the exhaust too, not sure but I assume the down pipe will be different Smile
I have all of these. I should really buy a hdi and convert it.

Also my phase 2 has no rot in rear arch...
Now...
After lots of welding...
And swearing....
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Lol, its surprising how much can be fixed by swearing. lol
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2014, 08:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yup, engine, engine loom and clocks all from the donor ph2 (I say ph2 because they've all rotted out the ear arch and are worthless now lol).

This exactly.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.9 Straight diesel max fuel? NaughtonGAA 0 995 11-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Last Post: NaughtonGAA
  straight diesel 405 conversion to dturbo Dturbobooost 2 1,157 22-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Dturbobooost
  Tuning a straight diesel (nad)?? Darren123 9 3,309 06-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Darren123