URGENT: Ticking on Ignition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT: Ticking on Ignition
Hi Guys,

Something has happened to the car in the past few days. I went back to it after sailing and it would only tick when i tried to start it. Had to bump start in the end!

A few hours later after an hours drive it would turn over very slowly but not fast enough to fire. With everything turned off it eventually started.

Yesterday it again started very slowly twice. When driving the voltage gauge says between 13 and 13.6v. What do we think?

Failing alternator or battery?

Sam
Thanks given by:
Battery. But double check the alternator chargeing as well with multimeter. Cold will kill off a lot this time of year
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Ahhh thats very frustrating its a Bosch Silverline which can only be a year old!
Thanks given by:
It's probably the alternator tbh, my my Bosch still works fine after 2.5 years starting diesels!

Also check the connections are tight on the alternator and battery. Unless the omex is draining power with the ign off anyway!
Thanks given by:
It's the battery. I'd put a pint on it and don't pay any attention to the voltage gauge on the PLX.
This weather kills them.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Not after a year though! Especially on a light petrol engine without glowplugs...

If it is the battery at least its under warranty.
Thanks given by:
Can I take it back to ECP with no proof of purchase and get a swap? All I have is a screenshot of the it and the 'eurocarparts' seller name in my purchase history on ebay!
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2014, 09:48 AM)SRowell Wrote: Ahhh thats very frustrating its a Bosch Silverline which can only be a year old!

Avoid silver calcium batteries, they're absolute naff and fail almost instantly when they go as it sounds like yours has. Stick with a regular lead acid!
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Got it on the charger just to make sure its got a decent charge before I leave for London tonight! Got jump leads with me too!

Started up a little bit slow this morning but did start fairly easily!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDI ticking noise from passenger airbag Potta_91 5 1,610 28-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Mattinthehat
  Air recirculation Valve Ticking HELP!!!! mattgreene 6 1,784 28-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Last Post: mattgreene
  Indicator ticking when I'm not even indicating? Help CalNeedham3061.4 9 2,182 13-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Toms306