GTI Caliper Issue - Seized 'Slider/Damper' ???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTI Caliper Issue - Seized 'Slider/Damper' ???
Pics describe this better than words..

Basically, taking the carriers apart, on each carrier there is 2 damper type springs on each side...
on each carrier i have one seized

The boot to protect it from seizing has obviously failed at some point and rusted the inners - the insides are greased which acts as the damping for these little widgets.

Anyway, anywhere i can new ones from? Besides the scrapyard as we have NO Gti's in our scrappies, OR is there i way to get these out - got some WD40 soaking at the moment and a lot of MTFU on it..

Heres some pics.

GOOD! Big Grin

[Image: W4z1h.jpg]

BAD 1 Sad

[Image: IJNV1.jpg]

BAD 2 Sad

[Image: Ovo7B.jpg]

EDIT: ALSO saw Johnny re-build his calipers last year, read it on .net, maybe he could have some input if he's around, rather than his usual spam..
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Need a new slider kit, cheapest I could find was £27 each caliper. I've just done mine
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Anton Wrote:Need a new slider kit, cheapest I could find was £27 each caliper. I've just done mine

got a link for that mate at all??
Thanks given by:
Mate i didnt realise they were like that Confusedad: anything i can help with?
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
http://www.biggred.co.uk/index.php

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/ ... d9626.html

It's a pita job, good luck
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Oi i dont just spam ill have you know ha ha!! You don't have to buy new ones just stick em in some coca cola for a day or so!!! No joke then wire Brush em, wet and dry em, good to go, clean out the Channel they sit in get a pipe cleaner in there and recoat with red rubber grease, jobs a good in
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Also if they don't need a new seal set then don't it's a fecker getting to pistons back in with new seal as well as getting the rubber in its recess
Thanks given by:
Ok, update, Dan, it's cool mate, i'll see how much the new bolts cost... will keep you in the loop Smile

So, i managed to get both out, the 2nd was an absoloute PITA - ended up BENDING the bolt, mental - got a drill and wire brush adapter and blitz'd them for couple of hours, hands are killing but they look clean and fresh now, gave them a lick of black hammerite and they should be fine.

As for the main piston, would you be able to test them with your hands? i can compress them and it squirts everywhere, good enough?

Anton, i found them on ebay and sent them a message for the specific part, i'm not sure what im looking for/size/spec etc.
Thanks given by:
Ginge bring them along to Ace tomorrow and ill have a look, I fear that even though you have "smoothed" it back, that the hole will be slightly bigger than the sliding pin
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Will bring you some proper caliper grease as well on Monday,, Iam sure they can be saved
Thanks given by:
Yeh, i'll bring them tomroow..

Where can i find the code for the caliper - i've found the slider pins, but unsure on caiper code - can't find it on the caliper?

measured the pin and its 70mm in length, 10mm width, but they offer 5 different pins...
Thanks given by:
Ok, for those of you that maybe interested - been in contact with BiggRed http://www.biggred.co.uk/, and posted my bolt to them

He (Tony) has found the correct bolt, an Astra bolt http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270955072452?r...3D1&_rdc=1 which fits and is the same measurements.

Just paying for 4 new ones, great help indeed - be aware, the bolts do not include rubber seals/boots so will need to pay for them seperately
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Sterering Ram/ Steering damper pugfrank 6 3,118 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: pugfrank
  Front caliper refurb - stuck slider pins 306rhys 11 1,807 12-07-2015, 02:36 AM
Last Post: HDi--Power
  rear disk slider bolts tigerstyle 7 1,166 16-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Stef205