Rover 214si

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rover 214si
This is awesome , shame it's not being done to a vvc engine. Is the idea behind this "just to see if it'll work"
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2015, 05:59 AM)lolsteve Wrote: This is awesome , shame it's not being done to a vvc engine. Is the idea behind this "just to see if it'll work"

Ahh its all for a laugh really.

The injection system was pretty shonky and unreliable on this car but the engine is ace.

Idea was to both "have a go" as a diesel person in the past its never something I have looked into let alone done.

Also, to make it faster and sound epic Big Grin

NOW

It "runs"?
On 2 cylinders and also 0.5+0.5 cylinders?

Revs up well but something going on with the idle jets on the drivers side carb, rut roh.

Also need to re-mount them on some flexible gaskets because I did a bad thing and just have bolts/paper ones for now.

[Image: IMG_4926_zps0k24umrt.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4931_zps8s8lm4kr.jpg]
[Image: signaturerrf_zps1c82612b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
These really are great engines, I've said that to Steve before. A bit more money and time spent on development and they would have been totally reliable. Although saying that I did 20k in a 414SLi that I ran as a cheap daily when I had my AX GTi and it was totally reliable, great on fuel and very nippy for a 1.4.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
They are topper engines! shame steves fannyin about with cams and remaps instead of solid cam the vvc engine ( doing a way with the vvc system) and going throttle boddies.
Thanks given by:
Running a lot better now, 4 cylinders even.

Will be a working car again soon  ThumbsUp 

Thanks given by:
What's the whirring, sounds sort of like an over-tight cambelt...?

Intake sound is gorgeous, looks really tidy.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(20-04-2015, 08:38 PM)Poodle Wrote: What's the whirring, sounds sort of like an over-tight cambelt...?

Induction noise that squeaking! It gets even more high pitched if you take the trumpets out.

Hoping it will be less audible with the aluminium trumpets and air filters in place.

Thanks given by:
Interesting how some of the more interesting rover projects I've seen going on are on a pug forum

Think I'll be following suit with the itb's especially if it's quite simple? How is the mems reacting to them? It's a MEMS 1.9 right?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2015, 12:01 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Interesting how some of the more interesting rover projects I've seen going on are on a pug forum

Think I'll be following suit with the itb's especially if it's quite simple? How is the mems reacting to them? It's a MEMS 1.9 right?

Ah yes, well I originally joined this site with an E36! mainly to steal diesel tuning knowledge  Itwasntme

Not sure about the ITBs really, this is the first time I have really messed with petrols at all. But this car is a tad more old fashioned than the VVC.

I had MEMS 1.2 with single point injection and a single coil. Disconnected the ECU plug with the lambda sensor and TPS on to throw it into limp home mode. (And all the SPI stuff that has been removed)

Now all my ECU does is the ignition control and dash instruments. The carbs do all the fuelling (not ITBs on this car)

With MEMS 1.9, ITBs and MPI you might need to do some mapping or some varient of programmable ECU?
Thanks given by:
Haha random, not heard that before.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
First drive this morning.

Drives very well and sounds pretty epic, have a bit of a snagging list to start working on though.

The ignition timing is not changing with load/revs so its down on power, pretty sure this is because I need to mount the throttle position sensor somewhere as its not even plugged in right now.

Idles very rich, probably needs the idle jets working out/changing (pretty spot on AFR when driving though)

Electronic vacuum pump for the brakes gets VERY hot, not sure if this is an issue or normal operation, its the pump half that heats up not the electric motor, also makes no odd noises.

Need some kind of heater matrix bypass, when the heater is off no water gets to the thermostat and the heat shoots up, rad stays cold, as soon as the heaters are turned on the main radiator heats up as it should (old manifold was water heated which has been bypassed causing the issue)

Nothing that scary really though!
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2015, 08:38 PM)Poodle Wrote: What's the whirring, sounds sort of like an over-tight cambelt...?

that whirring sound is the purr of a happy k series engine poodle, The vvcs do the same, but have the tick on top, from the vvc system.

Thanks given by:
Well, got attacked by an Audi on the M25 yesterday.. not the one in the pic though, that is just a coincidence lol

[Image: IMG_5511_zpswhsyinzo.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2015, 06:07 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: Well, got attacked by an Audi on the M25 yesterday.. not the one in the pic though, that is just a coincidence lol

[Image: IMG_5511_zpswhsyinzo.jpg]

Tossers.. What happened?
Thanks given by:
its not dead is it?
Thanks given by:
Nah not dead, they just cut across lanes last minute to jump out an exit and threw a load of stones at the car, detonated the windscreen!
Thanks given by:
RIGHT,

Bad news, due to some un Rover related things going on in my life right now, involving not living in the UK for much longer, this car is going to be looking for a new owner.

Someone who will actually enjoy it for what it is, which is an older car that needs tinkering with every now and then, not a muppet who will buy it, driving it for a few months without even looking under the bonnet when wonder why it wont idle properly because its not been tuned in a while and say its shit then sell it again. (the usual type that seems to buy from me via ebay!)

Wish I could keep it Sad
Thanks given by:
New windscreen times.

They accidentally ordered me one with an epic 90s spec blue window tint.

Love it.

[Image: IMG_5704_zpsf6zfz0bc.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5703_zpstzahmnso.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5706_zpsijnkwera.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5709_zpsdwo2gyrm.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5710_zpswhaetgdr.jpg]
Thanks given by:
looking bob on! I have toyed with that idea with the Blue tint too.
Thanks given by:
IIRC that's a standard 200 windscreen. I'm sure all 3 of mine had that.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2015, 02:09 PM)C2K Wrote: IIRC that's a standard 200 windscreen. I'm sure all 3 of mine had that.

Standard on the convertible, option on the hatchback

This car had the original screen with number plate etched into it with no sun strip since 1993 Wink

Until yesterday  Rofl
Thanks given by:
Middle of the night playing with a camera at the Retro show

[Image: PIC_8733_zpsych2trwo.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok, so I find myself working away from home for nearly a month unable to do anything with it, meanwhile the code for the box of witchcraft has been made and also a diagram on paint that really didn't need making but I needed something to do so here it is.

I want to mount the bottles on the bulkhead so that they are easy to see, but then keep as much of the rest as possible hidden.

[Image: Vacuum%20Diagram_zpsxzx4rpca.png]
[Image: DSC_5545_zpskjtfnogq.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells P38 Range Rover 2.5 DSE Eeyore 10 4,644 11-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Proctas Rover Metro GTA 16v procta 180 80,555 28-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Last Post: procta
  My First Car - 1991 Rover Mini Neon [Image Heavy] phillmoore 39 13,498 26-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Last Post: silverzx