Rover 214si

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rover 214si
(17-01-2015, 06:58 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote:
(17-01-2015, 06:35 PM)procta Wrote: check the sensors on the inlet, as that might be giving the ecu some wrong readings,

Ahh, heard about issues with air and water temp sensors, they are probably quite cheap to try arent they? Was just presuming it was my messing that has made it rich, shame this wasnt fitted before the injector swap!

I have my old one, see what colour it is 1st, as mine is brown, but they are cheap to buy anyway new.
Thanks given by:
It's a black sensor on this.

Modern ones seem to have two sensors but can only find the one on this too!
[Image: signaturerrf_zps1c82612b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I will check the manual for the Spi engine, tomorrow to see if there are other sensors, that one might be for the temperature gauge, as they are either blue or black sensors, ( got one of those here spare)
Thanks given by:
Put the old injector in and went for a little test drive

AFR is bang on with now, must be quite a big size difference! The cutting out issue will be back now haha.

Got a long drive tomorrow though so would prefer not to loose a massive amount of range for nothing!

Got 10:1 full throttle
14.5-15:1 cruise

Much better Smile

(Still got the 820e throttle body just swapped the injector itself.)

[Image: perfect_zpscd8a5787.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I knew the Rover 800 injector was different, there were rumours that the injector was told how to spray etc from the Ecu on roves, but this also puts my theory to bed, about how mine ran, when I mpied my 1.4 engine, I used beige injectors, and the lads who done a Pre mot check on the shell, said its running rich, I was running a Metro gti MPI ecu.
That the ecu doesn't tell injectors what to do. hence why it just runs rich.
For the injector then, have a look on ebay if some is breaking a R114 spi or a R100,
Thanks given by:
Yeah,

On the plus side, it seems to show up on the AFR Guage before it has a wobbly! Goes mega lean a few seconds before it starts to act up. So you can blip the throttle while at lights and avoid it cutting out!

It also really seems to like having the 214 injector on the 820e throttle body...goes well haha. Will have to get that exhaust manifold sorted to match.
Thanks given by:
back in the day, maybe putting the 800 spi throttle body was a performance upgrade on the spi rovers, sadly the info on tuning spi rovers now is practically none existent now. Even converting a one to a MPi seems back in the day now. When I converted my Gta 16v spi to mpi ( didn't even need to do it in the end) The help and info was very, very thin on the ground. A lot of conflicting info started to pop up.
have a look at these for an injector for you motor,

this maybe a spi

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Bolt-Onl...418e32f392

and double check this one too,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rover-metro-10...566f4e75aa
Thanks given by:
I have been on ebay again, so I guess this is happening Wink

[Image: PIC_7410_zpslnmyltmb.jpg]
[Image: PIC_7415_zpsebnzmeor.jpg]
[Image: PIC_7417_zpsxwvfff7w.jpg]
[Image: PIC_7419_zpsciosba60.jpg]
[Image: PIC_7424_zpsvrwuv8ds.jpg]
[Image: PIC_7425_zps7wrjeymd.jpg][Image: PIC_7432_zpsty8ahoke.jpg]
[Image: PIC_7434_zpsp1brlegj.jpg]
Thanks given by:
going to be interesting!
Thanks given by:
I like a LOT Big Grin
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Ha ha, that'll be pretty win! Nice little project mate, will watch this with interest! Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys Smile

I am trying to work out the best way to clean these up at the moment, would love to make them shiny as I rebuild them

Can just imagine them all clean like on this pic. Anyone have any tips or tricks for cleaning aluminium/brass? Ta!

[Image: 122WEBER45003.jpg]
Thanks given by:
see tenwierdufos has the right idea, rather than messing about with Ecus and vvc engines, Sadly for me, my car will no longer be a sleeper if I went throttle bodies.
Thanks given by:
Time for a new radiator and ordered that carb rebuild kit so can make some progress on it!

also

for every litre of water that gets lost out the coolant system

a litre seems to appear in my spare wheel well. Them leaky back lights!
Thanks given by:
Very nice, would love to godown the itb route.
keep us updated Big Grin
also looking for a easy way to clean up ali as I got a silver rocker cover that needs sprucing up
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2015, 05:36 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Very nice, would love to godown the itb route.
keep us updated Big Grin
also looking for a easy way to clean up ali as I got a silver rocker cover that needs sprucing up

If you find any tips do share haha.

Well this arrived earlier than expected so might as well go on.

Old radiator was, reasonably sieve like. Amazing it held water at all to be honest.

Also ordered (but not yet arrived) a new sensor for the coolant fan, as currently that does nothing, but the fan does work.

[Image: IMG_4002_zps9wymzry5.jpg][Image: IMG_4007_zpsceyw6dzb.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4001_zpssa4rqlmr.jpg][Image: IMG_4010_zpsfu7o5fv6.jpg]
Thanks given by:
you want to run this, on the waterless coolant, best stuff I have put in.
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2015, 08:19 PM)procta Wrote: you want to run this, on the waterless coolant, best stuff I have put in.

Haha, like last time, its not getting anything posh until it can learn to not make the coolant disappear.
Thanks given by:
(26-02-2015, 07:30 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote:
(24-02-2015, 08:19 PM)procta Wrote: you want to run this, on the waterless coolant, best stuff I have put in.

Haha, like last time, its not getting anything posh until it can learn to not make the coolant disappear.

yeah they do need to learn, Mine needs to burp a few times, as its full of trapped wind lol.
Thanks given by:
I remember my grandad having a green one of these, I loved it until.... the head gasket it went and it sat on the drive for years until a neighbor complained and he had to get rid of it
Thanks given by:
Love the carbs, should be fairly epic.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(04-03-2015, 06:49 AM)Poodle Wrote: Love the carbs, should be fairly epic.

you want to hear one with carbs on tick over in a garage! Was pure hard core!
Thanks given by:
Some changes starting to happen.

[Image: IMG_4643_zpsi041rxvt.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4666_zpsf0f54cm6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4646_zpsm2wtqenh.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4668_zpso3c0qchc.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4671_zpsymi7po3m.jpg]
Thanks given by:
laugh is I binned my old vvc rocker cover, you could have had that fucker.
Thanks given by:
Can't wait to hear the carb's roar Big Grin
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Short inlet manifold is short

[Image: IMG_4803_zpslj2nbjjz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wow that's... short....
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 06:15 AM)Poodle Wrote: Wow that's... short....

Some things to go on the other end of the thing that attaches to that short thing.

I like pictures.

[Image: IMG_4816_zpsgkr4lyvz.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4814_zpscxbrxwzv.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's been an afternoon of bodgery and ebaying.

SO I am currently awaiting the Croatian postal service for the actual carbs.

Having removed the original "coolant heated" inlet manifold it left me with two redundant water pipes that cannot be properly blanked without replacing the heater matrix pipes, which not only have the only fill point on the car, but also go round various corners, so decided to make use of the bonnet lifters and some sealant for a grade A watertight bodge to block them off.

difficult to see on the pics but there is a nylock nut on the other end so all held together pretty well even though it looks horiffic until it can be done "properly"!

[Image: IMG_4840_zpsy7546so7.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4841_zpsrmedyhba.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4843_zps5jjs6hzk.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4846_zpsg6etcnz1.jpg]

Also looking into the best way to provide vacuum to the brake servo, as although I have 4 x vacuum pickups for the carb balancing and map sensor, pretty sure its not going to provide enough vacuum to drive the servo as well.

After a bit of looking into it I settled with the idea of getting an electronic vacuum pump off another car completely, there were two main options, one from a BMW M3 or one from a 1.4tsi VW.

Because the VW one was a good £100 cheaper... I bought that one, now I feel dirty. :|

Need to work out if VW run these all the time the engine is going, or if they are supposed to cut out and cut in as the vacuum changes, if its the latter then some fancy electronics may need making D:

[Image: _57_zpsigfvku3i.jpg]
Thanks given by:
A quick mock up before work today.

I like how this looks

[Image: IMG_4886_zps6bem4nca.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4890_zpsbdeisqpd.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells P38 Range Rover 2.5 DSE Eeyore 10 4,644 11-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Proctas Rover Metro GTA 16v procta 180 80,555 28-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Last Post: procta
  My First Car - 1991 Rover Mini Neon [Image Heavy] phillmoore 39 13,498 26-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Last Post: silverzx