pas removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pas removal
Right for alot of people pas removal sounds insane and I expect alot of criticism as im doing it just to free my bay up some more. Ive had ago in a mates 205 xud pas deleted and parking was amusing though the only road difference I could notice was torque steer (if it was actually down to no pas).

I expect parking etc to be a nightmare but while im rolling on main roads will I notice the pas delete?

So far from scraps of information ive been able to find ive gathered that the belt is 6pk 698.
[attachment=20146]
That i'll be able to lose everything apart the alternator and tensioner (already deleted the air con system).
[attachment=20147]

my final question is if I go ahead with this will I be able to remove the idol wheel with the engine still in the car? Space looks to be extremely limited.
[attachment=20148]

please correct me where im wrong Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Leave the lower idler in place, it's the top auto-tensioner you want to remove. I don't know if you can get it out with the engine in place, i've never tried.

Speaking from experience, it will be a right bastard to maneuver, the 306 hdi front end is a lot heavier than a 205 xud and is on wider tyres. Very pleasing on a hill climb though. Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thought that was the tensioner :/ how the hell do you flip the belt on then? Sad
Thanks given by:
Well, it is a cammed idler, thats what you use to take up the slack before releasing the auto-tensioner, which does the actual tensioning. Have updated my above post with non-pas hdi experience btw
Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just read it, so would I liturally just have to flip the belt on?
The pugs only on 165's anyway Big Grin lmao
Thanks given by:
Ok cool. You should be able to get it on and off ok if you release the idler, it should be quite tight though. Ideally you want to change the idler for something you can apply some proper tension with, just needs a square drive slot or something.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Im with ya Smile thanks
Thanks given by:
You could change to ePAS if you want to keep parking ability and give more bay space.
Thanks given by:
Thats what im thinking of doing at a later date and wing mounting the bottle
Thanks given by:
I drove my hdi with out the pas, and I tell you, it will be a right bastard! wide tyres and non pas, don't go well at all!
Thanks given by:
Im on narrow stretch
Thanks given by:
Still a comparatively heavy car though with a fairly quick (by non-PAS standards anyway) rack.

A 205 without PAS is easy enough even when parking, especially if it was running a normal 3.9 turn non-PAS rack.

306 will be much heavier steering at low speeds because of the additional 250kg weight and the gearing on the steering rack, assuming that you weren't planning on swapping the rack for a non-PAS one from a poverty spec ZX/306?

I wouldn't personally remove the PAS on a road going 306, yet I would (and did for many years) have a 205 without.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Ok fair play :/
Thanks given by:
please please please please tell me its possible to remove the auto tensioner for replacement with having to take the engine out or the front end 3 quarter to pieces to do it, pleaseConfused
Thanks given by:
(18-11-2014, 04:15 PM)pug306driver Wrote: please please please please tell me its possible to remove the auto tensioner for replacement with having to take the engine out or the front end 3 quarter to pieces to do it, pleaseConfused

Yeah its easy tbh, changed several in situ. You just need to remove the inner splash guard (if it hasn't removed itself!) then unclip the rad hose.

Don't think a ratchet fits though, I used mole grips on an allen key iirc.
Thanks given by:
I have removed the "static" non sprung loaded idler pulley, the initial pulley that "takes up the slack" of the aux drive belt tension and then locked, before the auto tensioner is released, and that's dead easy, but htf do you get the "auto tensioner pulley and body" off the engine?????

also the fuel filter ( and tank ) pipes with the plastic "unions"............

a timing belt etc change is coming up in the new year and I'm gathering info etc early.........post mot.........
Thanks given by:
It's just held on by a single hex bolt, would take less than a minute if there wasn't a peice of chassis in the way lol.

The plasic fuel pipes, you just squeeze the coloured bits together and pull the pipe off.
Thanks given by:
thanks for the pipes trick tom, will try this week end........I will prey for an hour before I try and remove them..........

the "fixed" but adjustable bottom idler pulley is easy to remove etc and does have an allen bolt fixing or clamp, but what about the "auto tensioner" the sprung loaded one..... and one with the ribbed plastic pulley, how is that held onto the engine please....??

how do I replace that, as a "unit"...........a complete new one,body, spring mech and plastic pulley? etc etc etc ......
Thanks given by:
Sold as a complete unit. The sprung one has a body that sits slightly lower and further back on the engine than the pulley, it's fixed by a single hex bolt, as Tom says. The picture in this link shows it nicely: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...181&000112

If you want a pic of it on the engine look in the aircon removal thread that's running in this section at the moment.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If I remove the aux belt completely would I be able to take the car for a quick spin to test what its like with no power steering?
Thanks given by:
I reckon so yeah. Battery needs to be in good health and have as little electrical gubbins on as poss. Day time is probably better.
Thanks given by:
Nice one Smile
Thanks given by:
thanks poodle,

I see the large hex bolt that holds the plastic pulley on, and assume the large bolt you refer to that holds the "complete unit" onto the engine screws in from behind.......out of view in pic??

ive had a close look at the engine on the red stand above, and can I make out 2 holes just above the red patch on the drive belt?? these are holes for the "unit" bolt and a "peg" on the unit to stop it rotating?? ive tried to enlarge the pic for a better look but no joy........with berry my head under the bonnet this afo and look see..... as ever, thanks, and a brilliant forum Heart
Thanks given by:
(18-11-2014, 08:00 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote: If I remove the aux belt completely would I be able to take the car for a quick spin to test what its like with no power steering?

It won't be a particularly good test though, as you'll still have the PAS ram on the rack that'll be full of fluid - this will weight up the steering considerably.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
True but will give me a general idea, if disconecting it with fluid makes it a "worst case scenario" test then its prob better then me doing it and not realising how heavy it will be
Thanks given by:
not at all, its very different without the ram weighting things up.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Mehhh I think im just going insane anyway as looking at deleting the abs to just to tidy the bay up insanely for next year
Thanks given by:
If you look at the link i posted you can clearly see the hole in the centre of the metal body of the tensioner, there's a bolt that goes in there, 8mm hex iirc.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ahh, yes, I see it now....thanks poodle......
Thanks given by:
No problem matey, best of luck with it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: