306 DTurbo engine problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 DTurbo engine problems
Hoping you guys in the UK can help me out a little.
Sorry if my writings are a little weird, I`m from Norway :p

I got a 1996 1,9 D-Turbo. Got about 200.000 Miles on it.
A couple of months ago, I tuned up the fuel pump and adjusted the waste-gate.
I did it according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbkN3PaGRQU (And the stage 2 video)

Fitted a turbo gauge, and got about 15-16 psi.

Don't know if the tuning has got anything to do with my problems, but thought it was worth telling about just in case.

I also just serviced the engine, with new oil, air filter and diesel filter.

The problem:

When the engine is cold, it starts up, and the stops. Then it usually takes one-two more tries to start. Today I was worried the battery would be empty.

When i get it started and drive, the revs suddenly fall, and the engine is "lagging" for a while before it suddenly runs perfect for a while.

This is mostly when the engine is cold.

When the engine is warm, and i keep the clutch in the engine suddenly revs up to about 2000 rpm. If i rev the engine up, the rpm falls to normal again.

The problems only get worse and worse.

I have worked some on cars before, but never on a D turbo with this much electronics.

Sorry for my poor English Confused

Hope some of you got any tips.

Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like air ingress to me. Next time you go to start it cold pump the fuel primer grenade until hard then try and start. If its OK then look for an air leak in fuel system. Could be wrong though
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I had that same thought, so I tried doing that earlier today, but it did not help.
Thanks given by:
Does sound like air ingress tbh, check for leaks round the fuel filter housing Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Today i got the car lifted up, checked the fuel lines. No sign of leakage.

Got home to the work shop, opened the inspection hatches under the back seat, no sign of leakage.

I Unscrewed the plastic rings to take a look into the tank. Everything seemed fine. Got a little surprised that there were no pump in the fuel tank, thought there were a low pressure pump there?

I removed the intercooler, and inspected the fuel line, and found no leakage.

What I noticed, was that the rubber hand pump "lost pressure" and became soft after about a minute. Thought there was a flow back valve?

If the problem is that the fuel flows back into the fuel tank, maybe its an idea to mount an external flow back valve on the fuel line in front of the hand pump?

I discovered a small leakage at the bottom of the fuel filter housing.
Not sure what this white plastic thing does. Anyone know?

[img][Image: IMG_1601_zps4f0f15fa.jpg][/img]
Thanks given by:
That's your problem mate, you'll want to remove the fuel filter housing, pop the little metal retaining ring off on that white bit, extract the white thermostat and renew the O ring on it, common problem, you're welcome Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Awesome, thanks mate Smile I`ll contact a Peugeot dealer tomorrow and try to get a hold of that O-ring.

Thanks allot for all help and answers to this post Smile
Thanks given by:
Contacted the parts dealer today, and it turns out that they only sell a complete set with the termostad included. (EXpensive)
Does annyone know the metric meassures for the O-rings, and does it got a flat or round surface? Belive there should be two of them?
Thanks given by:
Just take it apart and look mate, I just bought a bag of various size O rings and found one that fitted Smile
Thanks given by:
The problem is that I use the car to work every day, and I live far away from anny parts dealer. So hoped to be able to find the O-rings befor I took it apart.
Maybe I`ll just have to buy a set of O-rings and try them out Smile
Thanks given by:
Ive got a spare entire bit here you can have for the cost of postage and a beer Smile fuel heater not leaking at all. In fact I have two for some reason.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Take the housing off, fully degrease it and cover it in silicone sealant.
Alternatively you can do the 'penny mod'

You might also find the housing will leak around the base and on the join with the lid.
Liberal application of silicone will seal both.

You do realise that with diesel leaks the air will leak INTO the fuel lines, the fuel will not always leak out.
So you cannot tell you've got a leak by doing a visual inspection.

You cannot have air in the fuel lines as the engine won't run.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for offering bashbarnard Smile But i changed the o-ring today, and the engine runs like it should again Smile

The new problem i got, was that i didn`t take the housing of, so i lost the lock ring holding the thermostat in place. Censored

I put a round locking ring there instead. Don`t know for how long it will hold the thermostat in place.

Anybody know what the original "lock ring" is called?

What`s the penny mod r3k1355?

Yes, I know that air in the fuel system makes the engine stop. I`ve had some diesel engines in boats earlier.
Thanks given by:
Glad I could help, like I say it's a common problem on these engines, I've done a few of them in the past Smile
Thanks given by:
The penny mod is taking the white stat out completely and gluing a penny in the hole instead, keeps the fuel warmer which is helpful in cold weather when you're running veg oil.
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2014, 07:59 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: The penny mod is taking the white stat out completely and gluing a penny in the hole instead, keeps the fuel warmer which is helpful in cold weather when you're running veg oil.
I didnt nwed to glue penny in on mine it waa tight as hell going in. Had to hit it on with a punch!! Works a treat though.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Dturbo problems! BruceeyDturbo 26 6,100 22-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Facelift berlingo d turbo rear engine mount problems Jamieh2013 7 2,304 12-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  How to replace 306 1.9 TD DTurbo XUD9 DHY engine? shazilla 37 10,598 18-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Last Post: daniel.mountain.7