gearbox fluid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gearbox fluid
hi guys wheres the plug to top gearbox fluid up?
Thanks given by:
Its on the top of the gearbox, normally brown plastic, with a white pressure release plug in it, however they are sometimes white, black or grey.

As below

[Image: 5741_under_bonnet_2.jpg]
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Or you take the wheel off, undo a 19mm i think? On the side casing (the level plug) its towards the bulkhead, and fill up through that until the oil overflows abit
Thanks given by:
(17-11-2014, 12:22 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Or you take the wheel off, undo a 19mm i think? On the side casing (the level plug) its towards the bulkhead, and fill up through that until the oil overflows abit

Thats the way i have always done them
Thanks given by:
couple of quick questions as I have also decided to do my gearbox oil.
I know it is 75w80 that I need but what is the best brand and best quality oil?
Secondly do I need to replace the washers on the drain, level, and filler plugs when I remove and replace them?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Best oil is the genuine stuff tbh. 9730 AA part number off the top of my head after buying so much lol.

As for the washers, I always forget and they often leak after lol. Also check your driveshaft oil seals, as you'd need to drop the oil again if one needs to be changed in a months time.
Thanks given by:
I can't find the washers anywhere haha. Or are they just a standard size that loads of gearbox's have?
Thanks given by:
I think they're the same as engine sump plug washers.
Thanks given by:
Okie dokie. Cheers mate Smile will get this all done this coming weekend Smile Will probably pop to the nearest peugeot garage and get some washers and a drive seal as well if it doesn't look like a too bad job
Thanks given by:
(17-11-2014, 09:57 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: couple of quick questions as I have also decided to do my gearbox oil.
I know it is 75w80 that I need but what is the best brand and best quality oil?
Secondly do I need to replace the washers on the drain, level, and filler plugs when I remove and replace them?

Thanks

This is peugeot spec & probs cheaper than pug

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-BV-Transmi...B008PS2OQ2
Thanks given by:
The washers for the gearbox im 99% sure are the same as the sump plug for the engine. Pretty sure 31327 is the part number, we stock them at work
Thanks given by:
https://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/To...980_4.html

Can't remember what the postage is though, but that's where I get all my fluids from. Sump plug washers can gotten from Amazon as a job-lot (100+).
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
I normally get 3 or more goes out of a copper sump washer by backing it up with a bit of ptfe tape. The ptfe tape consolidates the joint.

I carefully wrap ptfe tape over the washer and make a very neat job of it.
I roll ptfe tape on my knee to make string. Then I wind a little on the sump plug thread, not over the whole thread, but around the thread immediately in front of the washer ie. make a ptfe ring.

I ensure the joint surfaces are perfectly clean and never ever overtighten.

Steve (saving you 50p)
Thanks given by:
You can anneal copper washers by heating then up with a blowtorch and reuse them plenty
Thanks given by:
Any decent motor factors should be able to sell you sump bung washers for pennies.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm thinking to change the gearbox oil, is it recomended the TOTAL one, or any difference with the COMMA or Valvoline?And is it 2litres?
Thanks given by:
It is two litres and i'd stick to the total stuff myself, used comma before and it was awful.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: