Hey guys I'm new here. Vnt question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey guys I'm new here. Vnt question
Hi guys I have a 180,000 mile Peugeot partner fitted with my trusty 260,000 mile xud 306 lump. It goes very well although the exhaust is the standard thin original partner pipe. I'm looking into putting a vnt on. It's running a Lucas pump I know not the best. Although I'm not looking for massive power just more drive ability. Questions I have is
How to control the vnt?
The best vnt to go for? Not massive!
Oil feed?
I have access to a welder ect I'm very mechanically minded! Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks

[Image: 94941676d6d7a374251b1bfe9088f773.jpg][Image: 6ba77c2e911cdae9443c152b188e95e2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This is a very normal response:

use the search button.

The questions you are asking have been asking a 1000 times and I bet I am not exaggerating!

You will gain a lot of drive ability by simply fitting a bosch pump and doing a stg1 tune with a better exhaust setup. And in my opinion a VNT is pointless without a bosch to set it up well
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Little point if you're not going for more power, simply putting the GT15 or K03 off a late XUD9 would improve it vastly in terms of driveability without half the cost, complexity and ballache.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I asked the best size vnt and how to control it. A Bosch pump will come later. Like I say I'm not looking for massive power.
Thanks given by:
Put a Bosch on before you start playing around with turbos is what I would suggest.

When you say your not after massive power how much are you after?
Thanks given by:
Say 150 bhp. Where can I source one of these arduino controllers?
Thanks given by:
150 is just about achievable with t2 and bosch I reckon. Or close to it. To be fair bosch WILL improve it with a quick stage one tune. So easy and effective. You only really need a vnt for big power. Look through some project threads here the vnt boys are 200bhp plus.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Don't get me wrong, a GT1749VA with an Arduino would make an incredibly easy car to drive, but it's whether it's worth the hassle... You could gain decent driveability improvements simply from fitting a Bosch VE to it...

You don't so much "source" an Arduino, so much as build it yourself... It's not exactly a plug-n-play kit by any means!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Yes but a vnt will give it a lot more lower end power
Thanks given by:
if you want to go for a vnt, you could slap a gt2052v on, control it via boost actuator and mbc - and utilise its full potential in the future with fuel upgrades, uprated head studs and a stronger bottom end.

It'd be overkill for the current setup, but would give you more flexibility in the future - and tbh it sounds like you just want to get involved and weld something on.

Picture wise there might not be anything specific, you'll just want to make some steel adaptor plates up so you can bolt the new turbo to the existing exhaust manifold and another for the downpipe.

Or as Ruan suggests, go for a gt15 or k03 off the later xud and have a cheap bolt on turbo that will be more responsive than the older T2 or K14.
Thanks given by:
(16-11-2014, 12:30 PM)daniel.mountain.7 Wrote: Yes but a vnt will give it a lot more lower end power

Unless you've got a pump that will deliver fuel, it's not going to make any more power, is it?!

Air on it's own doesn't equal power!
Thanks given by:
I totally understand what your saying about the pump. That isn't an issue as it will get one. I'm looking for parts etc I need to source. I have a spare kkk turbo with a proper actuator sat in my garage. Tbh I don't want massive boost. I love the reliability of these engines I just want a little more from it and something to occupy my mind. One thing will no doubt lead to another
Would a bosch pump have to come off a Peugeot? I know the injectors obviously will have too

The volvo d5 turbo doesn't look like it will take much fitting
Thanks given by:
Volvo d5 turbo...depends which one...some early ones would be no better than what you have now
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Errr, well, "not much fitting" - I had one fitted and wasn't exactly... Errhum... OEM fitment I'd say...

It required sledge hammers, grinders, holesaws, arc welder, ally strip (lol) etc to make it "fit"...

I would never say that fitting one is a days work, it's multiple days of effort etc... If you want reliability, I wouldn't suggest it, you're going to spend more time ironing out issues, everyone will tell you this! A smaller, more modern wastegate unit will give you everything you're after without half the effort, unreliability etc...

If your car is a project, you don't mind replacing components, it's a bit of a laugh - go for it...

Also Piggy - to be fair, the early GT2052Vs are hardly a "bad" turbo! They'll still make more than enough power to cause issues with these engines!
Thanks given by:
I see what your saying. So if not vnt what's the best wastegated turbo you would recommend along side a bosch pump?
Thanks given by:
Stock a t2 o k14 on for a touch more power or a gt15/k03 for drivability. Saying this ive killed a gt15 and a k03 ive got a k14 on atm and its fine. All standard turbos. All easy bolt on. Bosch is really the vital first step though.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Are all the oil feeds the same between turbos? As I've already got another turbo. Just unsure what it is. Il take a pic tomorrow. I've sourced a pump and injectors. They come complete with engine lol
Thanks given by:
@Ruan, early D5s used a TD04 variant so just worried he would buy one of those!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
*T5s used TD04s, all D5s used GT2052Vs and the later ones using GTB2056VLKs... And one after that using a twin turbo setup...
Thanks given by:
Don't wana argue babes but I am 99% sure I found a weird td04 variant on some of the first d5s when I was looking for a GTB! Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Now now lol
Thanks given by:
(17-11-2014, 08:13 AM)Piggy Wrote: Don't wana argue babes but I am 99% sure I found a weird td04 variant on some of the first d5s when I was looking for a GTB! Undecided

Trust me, all the 167hp ones are Garrett GTs - the earliest ones ran a GT2052SV, then went to a GT2052V, then GTB2056VK for the 181hp ones.

The earlier 2.4d which used the VW 5 pot TDi ones used I think a K14-2...

All the other modular 5 cylinder petrols used TD04s exclusively mind...
Thanks given by:
Ahhh maybe it was the earlier 2.4d
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I love you Ruan.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by: