Reading map files

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading map files
Hi everyone,

Has anyone on here aside from the pro's ever tried mapping? I have my file on my laptop, downloaded winols, and have found both my drivers wish maps so far Smile

Anyone got any hints or tips as Im finding it hard to know what to look for? or any good links?

Before people go off saying its best left to the pro's, its just something ive always fancied doing, my hdi estate only owe's me £88 so if I brick the ecu its not much loss lol

cheers
steve
Thanks given by:
Well thats a very cheap estate for £88! Dont know how youve managed that! Anyway... i always bought maps for my car and i got the omex properly mapped at Track N Road in Essex. James Pickering is probably the man to talk to. I know Steve with the RoverMG has been messing around with his own maps too!
Thanks given by:
Yeah drop jammapic on here a message he's always keen to help. I know he's very busy at the moment though.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Another Steve with the ecu bug lol Agreed that is a very cheap estate

Can't say I've touched diesel mapping only looked into it briefly while trying to learn the basics, currently only looking at rover MEMS petrol mapping although there is plenty of guidance out there for the EDC15/16 ecus
There is some other fuel maps to look out for, torque and smoke limiter maps irrc. Drivers wish I think is often the highest values of the lot and since the ecu uses the lowest values you won't see much change if you only change drivers wish. (this is only information I've picked up from trying to learn about mapping myself so may be wrong)

For the general public who value their cars I'd say go for a known tuner such as Jamma, prosteve etc as you don't want to be creating high exhaust gas temperatures and melting turbos or pushing pumps beyond their safe operating limits. You could go the route of slap +10% on all the fuel maps and call it a day lol
Although this might just make the car more smokey rather than give it any poke and look broken like the XUD boys #comefightmeveglovers

As for tools think the mpps is the new favourite of the hdi lot as it seems a bit more reliable than the kwp and galletto as proven by a member on here who found his galletto was soldered properly, something I've found on gallettos too. Think the mpps also has a recovery function if you manage to brick the ecu although I would double check that.
Also make sure your checksums are in order before uploading and always keep a backup of your original file
Have you got a full version of winols or just the testversion? As you won't be able to save your work if it's just test
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2014, 07:16 PM)SRowell Wrote: Well thats a very cheap estate for £88! Dont know how youve managed that! Anyway... i always bought maps for my car and i got the omex properly mapped at Track N Road in Essex. James Pickering is probably the man to talk to. I know Steve with the RoverMG has been messing around with his own maps too!
Got to love a ebay bargain, cost me £275 but I sold the cat off in and got a refund off my insurance from my last 306 Smile

(14-11-2014, 08:38 PM)Jtrigga Wrote: Yeah drop jammapic on here a message he's always keen to help. I know he's very busy at the moment though.
I didn't want to bother any of the mappers on here as it their trade, but I may drop him a pm.

(14-11-2014, 08:56 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Another Steve with the ecu bug lol Agreed that is a very cheap estate

Can't say I've touched diesel mapping only looked into it briefly while trying to learn the basics, currently only looking at rover MEMS petrol mapping although there is plenty of guidance out there for the EDC15/16 ecus
There is some other fuel maps to look out for, torque and smoke limiter maps irrc. Drivers wish I think is often the highest values of the lot and since the ecu uses the lowest values you won't see much change if you only change drivers wish. (this is only information I've picked up from trying to learn about mapping myself so may be wrong)

For the general public who value their cars I'd say go for a known tuner such as Jamma, prosteve etc as you don't want to be creating high exhaust gas temperatures and melting turbos or pushing pumps beyond their safe operating limits. You could go the route of slap +10% on all the fuel maps and call it a day lol
Although this might just make the car more smokey rather than give it any poke and look broken like the XUD boys #comefightmeveglovers

As for tools think the mpps is the new favourite of the hdi lot as it seems a bit more reliable than the kwp and galletto as proven by a member on here who found his galletto was soldered properly, something I've found on gallettos too. Think the mpps also has a recovery function if you manage to brick the ecu although I would double check that.
Also make sure your checksums are in order before uploading and always keep a backup of your original file
Have you got a full version of winols or just the testversion? As you won't be able to save your work if it's just test

Yeah I am trying to find the torque limit map, smoke map etc just not really sure how to find them Confused , yeah I have the free version of winols, do you know what free software I can get to allow me to modify the maps? I also have tuner pro but haven't used it yet as theres more info on winols.

To start with I just want to be able to find the maps and label them etc, then start with the simple stuff like egr off before I start trying for more power.

also what can I use to do the checksums?

cheers
steve Smile
Thanks given by:
There are loads of YouTube videos on this. Mostly vag but should be similar. I started trying to learn last year but don't really have the patience lol.
Thanks given by:
I would join ECUedit.com and ECUconnections.com. Plenty out there to read and learn. You can also get the basic idea by comparing 110 and 90 files.
Thanks given by:
All the info you could ever need is online! ecuedit.com, ecuconnections.com and chiptuners.org have all the info you could ever need!

Get your German translator out and have a read of the EDC15 Funktionshramhen (Function Description) - read all about how it works internally.

http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/down...hp?id=6397

Compare the 90 and 110 files and even other EDC15C files - you can get the idea of how they work quickly. Regarding the torque limiter, there's a post somewhere on one of those 3 forums of someone describing how to find the HDi90 torque limiter, WinOLS doesn't pick it up in it's Bosch map finder - but to be honest, don't use the automatic map search to begin with until you really understand what you're looking for - it doesn't pick up probably 50% of the useful ones anyway...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Good call Ruan - EDC15 Funktionshramhen (Function Description)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rempa files lh_4827 9 2,954 25-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jammapic
  hdi map files the milkman 5 1,495 06-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jammapic