Battery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery
I seem to have a drain on my battery. Have for a while now. Pulled out the stereo and disconnected my sub when it decided not to start on Monday thinking it's probably related to that.
But nope, although it's been fine all week it, it struggled to start this morning, only left it for a day! All the dials flipped round etc so deffo a drain somewhere.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it could be or if they've had a similar issue and what they found it to be!

Emma.
Thanks given by:
I'd thought it was one of the relays but I'm not god with these things.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2014, 01:58 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I'd thought it was one of the relays but I'm not god with these things.

Not what I'd heard. Tongue

On topic, have you made any other changes to the electrical system recently? And if Danny has a multimeter, get a reading from the battery and alternator to make sure they're charging properly. Smile
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Best way would be to test with an amp meter and pull the fuses one by one
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, will get him to do some investigating for me! Fingers crossed I don't have a repeat of it not starting at 6am haha
Thanks given by:
It's more than likely the battery sounds like the classic signs of it being on its last legs.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Yep will be the battery. Loads of them will be going this time of year!

Its very easy to check for parasitic draw. Neg lead off, multi meter in line of battery and neg lead on amps, unlock car then lock and watch the readings (will have to wait 5 mins or so for various bits to shut down if they don't instantly on the 306. Id expect a reading of about 0.02a or there about.

Also, moved to the correct section.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
You say the battery but it was brand new only a couple of years ago.. I will check and see what's the story with any kind of drain coming of the battery though.

Seems a bit odd that it's not consistent, like it'll be fine for ages then randomly one day the dials will flip round and it'll be slow to crank
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Knowing the quality of the French electrics, could be an intermittent short somewhere maybe....THAT will be fun to find! Confused
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yes.. I was thinking this Sad I remember doing a test yonks back with it the last time we changed the battery and couldn't find any significant drain on it. If it is the battery though, it'll probably still be in warranty!
Thanks given by:
Just because it's only a few years old doesnt mean it can't be faulty. If you do lots of short trips, it could destroy it nice and quickly not to mention winter puts a serious strain on them.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
It had this issue even when it was doing long trips daily, it'd do nearly 60 miles a day with 20+ being motorway.. so some sort of weird drain seems likely. But recently it's only been doing short trips, so maybe coupled with the cold could be killing it :/

Would it be possible a dodgy earth point could cause it?
Thanks given by:
No.
If it's nr a dodgy battery then its suffering from draw which you need to test like I said above.
Or, it could be that your alternator isn't charging it but you would notice this as once it went flat, that would be that and it would need charging.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flat battery/ can't open at to charge battery Aaron _d95 18 7,819 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Last Post: C2K