What to look for on a HDI?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to look for on a HDI?
Shocked 
Looking at buying a 2001 HDI estate at the weekend and just wondered if there is anything in particular I should look for? Had a 306 before but the 1.9 D so hoping the
HDI has more power!

Speaking of power, any suggestions as to what basics I can do to ease more power out of it besides an air filter, de-cat and a remap?

Thanks in advance :-)
Thanks given by:
Rust in the rear arches, rear axle wear.
Smokey on start up.
Nasty noises from belts or bottom pulley.

You be amazed what a remap, deEGR and decat will do (leave the filter alone)...you'll have twice the 1.9D power!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Do believe the bottom pulley has been changed as well as the cambelt, will be sure to check the other points you've raised though :-)

When you say de-egr, is that just simply disconnecting the wiring or fitting a blanking plate?

Will probably just re-new the air filter with a good quality OEM one if it's not sold by the time I get to go view it.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, get it blanked off and then mapped out ThumbsUp

Next stages are a step up in cost, fmic and clutch
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Shocked 
Sounds like a plan if the car is still available, if not then will just have to find another!

A fmic and uprated clutch maybe a little too much at the minute but something definitely to consider down the line.

Are there any minor handling mods that can be done? I know it's an estate but it's going to get a lot of use everyday

Thanks for your help btw Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
Yeah...have a browse around this forum and you'll spend your wages quick enough on little ideas Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Big Grin 
Haha I'm sure I could!

Cheers for your help again mate
Thanks given by:
If your looking for a sorted HDi estate that already has GTi suspension (superb handling and ride quality) and has alreay been re-mapped with a decat etc then you should consider Ozonehostile (user on here)'s estate hes decided to sell Smile wont find a better one for the money hes asking and its been meticulously maintained!

That being said welcome to the forum! plenty you can do to a HDi to make decent and reliable power Smile i have a stage 1 decatted 5 door 306 hatch that i use for commuting and as a general hack, ticked it onto 199k miles the other day and its yet to present me any major problems Big Grin
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2014, 10:21 PM)ryansummers1993 Wrote: Looking at buying a 2001 HDI estate at the weekend and just wondered if there is anything in particular I should look for? Had a 306 before but the 1.9 D so hoping the
HDI has more power!

Speaking of power, any suggestions as to what basics I can do to ease more power out of it besides an air filter, de-cat and a remap?

Thanks in advance :-)
Hi there mate. I have a 2001 lx estate with 164000mls for sale. Have a look at gumtree Powys ads, car is advertised on there ( look for welshpool ads) if your interested. I cannot advertise on here, don`t have enough posts to do so (stupid rules)
Thanks given by:
Make sure there is an arch liner in the passenger side rear. If there isnt there will be a whole lot of rust up in the arch where the seat belt mounts. Look for ticking injectors and anything that is worryingly smokey or knocking. Check the rear beam for camber.
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2014, 10:30 AM)SRowell Wrote: Make sure there is an arch liner in the passenger side rear. If there isnt there will be a whole lot of rust up in the arch where the seat belt mounts. Look for ticking injectors and anything that is worryingly smokey or knocking. Check the rear beam for camber.

I don't think any of the estates came out the factory with an arch liner in the passenger side rear
Thanks given by: