eBay question - am I being unreasonable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eBay question - am I being unreasonable?
First time I've ever had an issue on eBay. So, bought an old Blaupunkt tape deck on eBay, cheap but described as "in working order". Just got it today, the display is shot (which is fine, that was mentioned in the listing), but when I put a tape in, it plays very poorly. For 10 seconds it will play slowly and slurred, then speed up for 1-2 seconds to a faster than normal tempo, then slow back down, and keep playing like this, and I've tested it with 4 tapes so it isn't the tapes.

I've contacted the seller who has offered to take it back if I pay postage, but having already paid a fiver for postage, why should I pay to send it back when he hasn't described it accurately? That's a tenner in postage for nothing?

Surely if he was going to list the display fault, he should be expected to list the playback fault as well?

Thanks for reading. Sad thing about eBay is there's been a lot of threads like this recently Sad
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Indeed. Very annoying.
If you open a case though, after a period of time you can escalate it for ebay to have a look.
They will often just enforce a full refund your way without you needing to return the item.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Kneecap him. It's the only reasonable solution.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
It's one of those things, it's a pain in the arse but if the seller has offered a refund then you are expected to pay the costs to return.

Same when James bought the 206, he was offered a refund all he had to do was take it back.. it wasn't worth it. It really is just a risk with buying on ebay. Anything I buy I always check distance nearest first just incase I happen to find it locally, I think more often than not I've purchased 2nd hand things locally and collected to try and prevent it.
Thanks given by:
It will say in his returns that the buyer pays return postage I expect, most do.

As a frequent ebay seller, it sucks when stuff breaks in transit or has faults unknown to you, you lose so much on postage unless you specify they pay return postage.
Thanks given by:
A what deck !?
Thanks given by:
How much was the deck in interest? Would it be worth counting your losses trying to open it up and seeing if you could find what's causing the dodgy playback speed? Has to be the motor moving the tape spindle or maybe the read head dragging against the tape?

If you paid a bit for it then fair enough returning but when you're just gonna lose money (I'm guessing only item price will be refunded not original postage) then that's £10 out of pocket and if the item wasn't much more? Well I'm sure you get what I'm getting at.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
He should pay as its not your fault its faulty in ways you did not know about.

Either he should of been honest in the listing or its got damaged in the post and he'll need to claim the money back from the courier.
Thanks given by:
Well this has had a happy resolution. He sent me a message to apologise saying he's thought it over and I'm right, so he's refunded me and said to keep the unit, which is very good of him. So I'm gonna try fix it.

By the way Rob, it was £12.50 including postage. I know its not a lot but if something is described as "good working order" I expect it to be. I am gonna take it apart and try adjust it, nothing to lose considering it was free Wink

Thanks for your advice everyone Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Christ there are sum good honest folk! He's got sum good karma coming his way!
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
I never return stuff unless they pay postage, it's fcuked, they either just refund me or pay extra if they want it back, never failed yet, I do write a decent letter/email though lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
"Pay for the postage or I'll cut yer knackers off with a rusty spoon" doesn't count as a decent email Matt.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2014, 11:52 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: "Pay for the postage or I'll cut yer knackers off with a rusty spoon" doesn't count as a decent email Matt.

Worked on you... Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2014, 11:52 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: "Pay for the postage or I'll cut yer knackers off with a rusty spoon" doesn't count as a decent email Matt.
Why not? Sounds good to me....

I went with "I WILL CUT OFF YOUR f*cking HEAD AND SHIT DOWN YOUR NECK!!! I WILL GOUGE OUT YOUR EYES AND SKULLFUCK YOU!!!"

No seriously, I just explained that I didn't want to pay a tenner in postage for nothing and he agreed. Faith restored in eBay.
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 07:06 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:

I went with "I WILL CUT OFF YOUR f*cking HEAD AND SHIT DOWN YOUR NECK!!! I WILL GOUGE OUT YOUR EYES AND SKULLFUCK YOU!!!"

No seriously, I just explained that I didn't want to pay a tenner in postage for nothing and he agreed. Faith restored in eBay.

'Hell i like you, you can come over to my house and f*ck my sister!'

Best film to quote from ever Heart
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 10:59 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 07:06 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:

"Your days of finger f*cking old Mary-Jane Rottencrotch through her pearly pink panties are over!"

"You will give your rifle a girls name. Because this is the only pussy that you will be getting!"
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2014, 07:45 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Well this has had a happy resolution. He sent me a message to apologise saying he's thought it over and I'm right, so he's refunded me and said to keep the unit, which is very good of him. So I'm gonna try fix it.

By the way Rob, it was £12.50 including postage. I know its not a lot but if something is described as "good working order" I expect it to be. I am gonna take it apart and try adjust it, nothing to lose considering it was free Wink

Thanks for your advice everyone Big Grin

Ah good man Smile I only said so as if there was no chance of being refunded original postage and expected to pay extra postage it may have been better.

Glad to see its all resolved, good ebayer that and honest seller.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 07:16 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 10:59 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 07:06 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Why not? Sounds good to me....

"Your days of finger f*cking old Mary-Jane Rottencrotch through her purty pink panties are over!"

"You will give your rifle a girls name. Because this is the only pussy that you will be getting!"

FTFY. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I had this with a replacement stereo for the mini, the cd player was faulty. In my case the seller was hostile, so I reported it. EBay sided in my favour, and gave me a postage paid collect+ label. Just took it to the local place, put the tracking number in the case and got my cash back.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by: