Road Legal Quad Bike insurance?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road Legal Quad Bike insurance?
Hi,

I had a Suzuki 250cc 4x4 Quad, brand new with "Street Legal" kit, and registered as Agricultural Machine. Previously. I had insured my Grey Fergie with DOMINION, for £5 per year for Third Party only, so it came as a shock to be asked for £60 for Fully Comp. Er .... this was in 1992, before Quads were acceptable as a means of transport. Plod pulled me ...

"What's this?"

"A tractor!"

"Like a motorbike, you mean?"

"No, like a tractor!"

"Hmmm. I suppose your front number plate fell off?"

"No, tractors don't need front number plates!"

" ****** hell! It's TAXED! I've never seen that before. I'd better let you carry on your way".

PS.

If you passed your bike test before (I think) 1997, you can also drive a Tricycle ... but you knew that already. Did you know that you can also drive a Quadricycle?

A quadricycle has four wheels, and weighs less than 550kg, so includes Reliant Kitten and Lotus 6 (but not Caterhan 7).

In France, a Quadricycle is also restricted to something like 15kW, so weapon of choice is an AXIAM ...similar 0 to 40 time as a diesel cement mixer. Same noise, too

Thanks given by:
If you want something cheap man I had a honda cg early nintys one. Used to run it on tank drains for two years so didnt pay for fuel. Cost me £150 to buy sold for £500 and £70 a year to insure. Was awesome money saving machine. How I saves for my house Smile was fun to. Im not against road quads in the slightest either but tbh have never looked into them because everytime I seem to get on them in fields they land on me. Sad

I tell a lie I think I put fuel in her once when I had a tank drain that was a bit too much derv
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
@procta I'm just as much of a petrol head as a diesel head, its just diesel is cheaper

@w3526602 Yeah I wish I could blag running one as an agricultural vehicle but it'll never wash with the cops if I get pulled over as I don't do a job in that industry and don't live on a farm.

@bashbarnard haha I ended up with motorbikes on top of me a few times when I started riding. If you dont crash every so often your not trying hard enough.
Thanks given by:
You'll look like an ultimate prick riding one... Unless it's a Honda Fourtrax, which you can get away with looking agri spec, but it requires a plastic veg crate on the front and a collie sat on the back.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
@w3526602 Yeah I wish I could blag running one as an agricultural vehicle but it'll never wash with the cops if I get pulled over as I don't do a job in that industry and don't live on a farm.

Hi,

Agricultural Machines may only be used by people engaged in agriculture or forestry, and only in connection with those jobs. There are other constaints, too.

At the time I had my Quad, keeping horses was agriculture (following an appeal in 1981), but legislation has overtaken that.

You might get away with Section 7 Exemption (Google) Also exempt from VED and MOT, but road miles are/were limited to 7 miles per week, prom land you occupy to land you occupy. So not much use to most people. Er ... I managed to get a VW beach buggy registered as an Agricultural Machine, then claimed Section 7, insured it for £5 per year. But I doubt if I could do it now.

You could also try "pulling a life boat", or chopping the legs off your pet cat, register you Quad as an "Animal Ambulance". Next year, you could
" carry voters to the polls". Exempt vehicles are listed in "Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994"
(VERA 1994) Google, then scroll to Shedule 2.

I did 2000 road miles in one year, wiped all tread of all four tyres, and it used as much petrol as my Land Rover.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal advice rocker8742 4 1,626 08-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Last Post: rocker8742
  Road Bike party 2 Pete 11 2,838 11-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Last Post: TheLurchmeister
  Barely legal drivers puggyhdi 58 27,185 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Poodle