Poor mpg :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor mpg :(
Hi all recently got a 306 hdi and on my first couple of journeys I noticed I'm not getting over 60 miles to 10 pound of fuel unless I take it deep into the red can anyone give me some advice on what could be the problem. Thanks Joe
Thanks given by:
The fuel gauges are terrible tbh, you can't rely on it to work out mpg.
Thanks given by:
[quote='Toms306' pid='485406' dateline='1414439232']
The fuel gauges are terrible tbh, you can't rely on it to work out mate just other hdi owners seem to be telling me I should be getting around 80+ miles to a tenner. My petrol 1.6 does 60 which ATM is better than the hdi :/ n I only bought it to poodle around town n be good on fuel so I'm really disappointed Sad
Thanks given by:
mite be you have a fuel leak or somthing other wise take it for an italian tune up down the motor way, dont for get you pay a bit more for diesel so looking at the two diffrent fuels you need to take in to acount how many liter you are buying rather than the amount you are paying

when was it last servesed?
Thanks given by:
Diesels generally are suited to long motorway journeys. If you want to poodle around town then from experience I would suggest a small engined petrol car. XXmiles to £xx is an incredibly inaccurate method of determining a cars real world mpg figures. The best way is,as I'm sure has been stated in the past, to do several full tank fill ups and then calculate the mpg, this will also take into account variables such as types of journey, temperature etc.

I'm not sure that the car is disappointing, however there is a strong possibility that the car is not suited to your intended application.
Thanks given by:
^^^^not always true tbh

Old 1.4 will be waaaaaaay outdone on mpgs by a modern 2.0 diesel...in town/out town!

You should be seeing more than that tbh. Do a diagnostic. Service it. Check for fuel leaks!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
How do I go about doing a diagnostic mate? And Isit usual air filter oil filet and oil? I went on car website earlier and there was two different shape air filter for it? Also best way to check for fuel leaks. And around here a tenner is 7.70 litres
Thanks given by:
peugeot planet if you can fined some one local with it so post where you are and you may be in luck, faling that go to a garage and get them to do and get them to wright all the codes down.

the air filter is shaped like a grand piano ish

i have peugeot planet you can pop round if you are close to me i am in sheffield, south yorkshire
Thanks given by:
If you get 7.7 litres. that means 77 miles would be 45mpg. I certainly wouldn't expect more than that around town from a HDi tbh.
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 09:02 PM)Toms306 Wrote: If you get 7.7 litres. that means 77 miles would be 45mpg. I certainly wouldn't expect more than that around town from a HDi tbh.

I'm from tonbridge kent so bit far from you bud thanks anyway. I can get 65miles from my crx around town so maybe I'm best selling the 306 n finding something better for town driving

And I'm the kinda person I never hardly ever go over 2.5k revs
Thanks given by:
Thats possibly the problem!

Keep it flowing, dont put the engine under load and watch the traffic more. Will improve pretty quick. That and a service!
Also, a egr blank and stg1 remap will help too
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
^^^
What he said
Thanks given by:
Ok guys il start with a service n keep it above 2k revs n then get a remapped Ecu
Thanks given by:
I didnt say keep it above 2k rpm...

Its just if you always keep below 2.5k its likely things have getting coaked up AND that you probably are putting it under heavy load regularly, thus using excessive fuel at low speeds
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
il sometimes give it a clear out lol il just makesure I'm in the right gear on slight hills etc
Thanks given by:
Sounds ideal bud, she'll just need a good blast every week or so to keep things clear - best way is to thrash it up to the speed limit on the nearest bit of dual carriageway/motorway, don't bother changing out of fourth, leave it in gear to coast down a bit and then do it again, should burn out any crap nicely.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poor MPG HDI riw@mail.com 27 7,816 14-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  shockingly poor mpg, varies rtha6551 15 3,756 23-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191