Heated rear screen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heated rear screen
It works a little bit (and I mean a little. It clears maybe a quarter of a centimetre either side of the line) but otherwise my heated rear screen doesn't work! Which sucks for several reasons: the main being I've dewipered the damn thing and can't see out of it at all now!

Likely fixes? Need replacing? Suggestions?
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
My suggestion, put the wiper back. Tongue

The demister is only meant to remove condensation inside...
Thanks given by:
er..... so the heated strips dont get rid of the mist? sounds normal!
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 01:35 PM)SRowell Wrote: er..... so the heated strips dont get rid of the mist? sounds normal!

Really? My last 306s all did?

Do I need a new rear screen? Is it like an electrical element I can replace? If I'm honest I don't even know how the mechanism works!!
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
im not sure exactly how it works. The strips must deteriorate over time. Sometimes the strips go dark and stop working.

Things I would be checking is the two contacts which provide the connections to the glass. Not sure what more you can do! :/
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 01:54 PM)SRowell Wrote: im not sure exactly how it works. The strips must deteriorate over time. Sometimes the strips go dark and stop working.

Things I would be checking is the two contacts which provide the connections to the glass. Not sure what more you can do! :/

Cheers mate. That sucks balls. Guess it needs replacing... Whereabouts r those 2 contacts you mention?
CLUB RALLYE
Thanks given by:
if you remove the tail gate plastic panel re3taining screws and gently pull the plastic off the tail gate ( 4 spring clips on the top, just be gentle ) you will see the 2 contacts to the heated screen, one on each side. BE VERY CAREFULL if disconnecting the spade connectors, in fact don't for now.

the power wire is on the rhs, coming through the gaiter, with the earth non the lhs also coming/going thru the gaiter.

ours had broken both power and earth wires which I have replaced, as well as one speaker wire........

with the heated screen turned on and a multimeter in hand, do you have power to the element?? if yes, then make a temporary earth and see if that makes the system work................

a continuity check could be made to see if the "element" is ok but be very carefull about the spade connectors and the connection with the screen element.......DONT BREAK THEM!!!

the wires may have a "make and break" contact due to fatigue. every time you open the door you bend the wires, they work harden and fatique then break inside the insulation, hence make and break contact.....just like the door looms!
Thanks given by:
The metal slats are baked into the window when its made, so it's not a replaceable item.

Just like a toaster element though, the heating and cooling cycle will damage them eventually, and theres usually at least one bar broken on older cars now, these can be repaired by using some conductive paint (not sure whats in it) to join the bars again.

But as yours all work, that's not overly helpful lol. Only thing you can do is check for a high resistance fault as above.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the responses all. Will give this a go on my day off Wednesday and will probably return with my questions!
CLUB RALLYE
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wiring diagram for heated seats bebic 0 1,567 28-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Last Post: bebic
  Is that my rear screen heater button? cheapo 10 2,227 08-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Last Post: cheapo
  electric / heated rx8 seats ash23 6 1,793 07-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ash23