Hi, planning 205 TD sleeper.......Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, planning 205 TD sleeper.......Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
Hello all. I've been looking on here for a couple of weeks now to see what other people have done to uprate their XUD engines. My 205 is a 1997 two door Mardi Gras ( non turbo, non sunroof ) and my mate James recently found me a decent 306 TD engine. Until a fortnight ago this was in a 305 and recently completed a massive road trip, along with James' BX around Europe and this tells me it's a good engine. I'm planning a Turbo swap to a VNT ( James' recommendation ) and I'll be fitting uprated con rods and ARP rod bolts along with ARP head studs. I'd like to mount the Turbo above my gearbox as I think it would make it easier to work on. I'd like about 170 reliable BHP and 200 ftlbs of torque. There's loads of boy racers with Civics and Corsas round here in Chesterfield and I'm looking forward to smokin' a load of them in my piece of junk 205. ......Luke.
Thanks given by:
All sounds good.

Youve got a recipe for more like 200bhp and 300ftlbs there though... Smile

Be watching this!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2014, 07:24 AM)Piggy Wrote: All sounds good.

Youve got a recipe for more like 200bhp and 300ftlbs there though... Smile

Be watching this!!

Glad you've replied Piggy. I tried to send you a PM as I'd like to buy that Turbo you're selling, but was blocked by this Forum's rules about not being on here for long enough to either send PM's or post/answer in for sale section. .....Luke.
What do we do now, so as not to break any rules on here?
Thanks given by:
I have emailed you...not sure if that will work or not.

Failing that, get involved buddy! Smile

I be very excited to see a proper built ARP bolted 1.9xud with a GTB!!

(and tbh, now you say you want a GTB, you are looking more like 250bhp tbh with all the supporting mods imo!)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2014, 07:50 PM)Piggy Wrote: I have emailed you...not sure if that will work or not.

Failing that, get involved buddy! Smile

I be very excited to see a proper built ARP bolted 1.9xud with a GTB!!

(and tbh, now you say you want a GTB, you are looking more like 250bhp tbh with all the supporting mods imo!)

What other supporting mods would you reccomend? I'm still at a very early stage with this project. I want to buy the right bits to start off with. Thanks...Luke.
Thanks given by:
We'll chat more matey but you seem to have all the boxes ticked to be honest!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Welcome!

Drop a 3.0 V6 in that 205 and enjoy that 200bhp & 200ft/lb Wink
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Or 200bhp and 300ft lbs from a xud witha gtb strapped to it AND 60mpg!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 08:43 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Welcome!

Rather pluck my pubes out with my teeth than a 205 with a hefty ass v6 up front...

306s with them are bad enough..
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2014, 10:17 PM)Ruan Wrote:

Rather pluck my pubes out with my teeth than a 205 with a hefty ass v6 up front...

The 220bhp & 220ft/lb 205 V6 gentry that came to the RR day begs too differ Tongue

Fairly sure the V6 is an all alloy engine anyway? so probably not all that much difference in weight to an XUD Wink
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
the 1st post story sounds hellish familiar Tongue
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2014, 08:41 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

The 220bhp & 220ft/lb 205 V6 gentry that came to the RR day begs too differ Tongue

Fairly sure the V6 is an all alloy engine anyway? so probably not all that much difference in weight to an XUD Wink

Yeah but he has about 2inches between tarmac and sump!
No thanks!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

XUD is lighter and the engine is in the correct place, slanted 30* backwards, not hanging over the front axle...

You are aware the XUD is significantly lighter then an XU10J4RS....
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2014, 09:26 AM)Ruan Wrote:
(04-11-2014, 10:17 PM)Ruan Wrote: Rather pluck my pubes out with my teeth than a 205 with a hefty ass v6 up front...

XUD is lighter and the engine is in the correct place, slanted 30* backwards, not hanging over the front axle...

You are aware the XUD is significantly lighter then an XU10J4RS....

Im also aware that the xu10j4rs and xud9te are both NOT all alloy engines, i would be interested to see the exact weight of a V6 compared to both.

Good shout about the engine slanted backwards i hadn't thought of that one!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
ES9J4 although it's all alloy is 215kg, XU10J4 is 174 and XUD9 is 140kg...
Thanks given by:
I've driven a 205 V6 - the weight is VERY noticeable and it utterly ruins the handling. Effortlessly quick though, no question, but certainly not for me.

The GTi-6 lump I've got in mine impacts it badly enough that I'm going to be removing it and going back to an XU9 this winter.

You really need to drive a 205 with an alloy TU in the front to appreciate just how much difference engine weight makes to the way the car drives - something like a 205 XS has a nose so light, agile and nimble that even a standard GTi feels a bit ponderous and inert by comparison.

Back to the OP - should be pretty damned quick when you're done. A 205 with an old-school TD04 is pretty rapid, so with a modern VNT turbo it should certainly shift ThumbsUp
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Get an XU7JP4, XU10J4RS head and beef up the bottom end... Best combo going there IMHO - the ally block TUs still don't stick the weight in the right place and aren't insanely light, and you have to use the god awful MA box - the ally XU sticks it far back as possible,

But yes - in your own words, with the GTB2056, this is doing to feel "fooking dangerous"....

If possible do a little work with the die grinder and get the ports as open as possible, you'll definitely be in need of head studs and probably a set of rods.. Other than that, these motors are fairly bombproof!
Thanks given by:
What's your thoughts on Turbo manifold design? Just one pipe from the standard manifold to the new Turbo or fabricate a better flowing four into one manifold with equal length primaries? What power are people doing on the standard manifolds? ...Luke.
Thanks given by:
Mardi Gras fwends.
Welcome along, plans sound epic.
I have the 1.8 Turbo D in mine, it is a ball ache compared to the 1.9 TD so you have chosen the better engine.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2014, 08:24 AM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Mardi Gras fwends.
Welcome along, plans sound epic.
I have the 1.8 Turbo D in mine, it is a ball ache compared to the 1.9 TD so you have chosen the better engine.

Thank you. I was trying to do it on the cheap at first but now I'm wanting it reliable and it seems like a waste if I don't use that posh VNT to its potential. What differences have you found between fitting your engine and other people's 1.9 conversions in the 205?
Thanks given by:
It came from peugeot with that engine fitted so just thought I would use it till it blows.
On the lookout for a 1.9 to build up with decent rods and head studs for when the inevitable happens.
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 01:54 PM)205 Mardi gras Wrote: What's your thoughts on Turbo manifold design? Just one pipe from the standard manifold to the new Turbo or fabricate a better flowing four into one manifold with equal length primaries? What power are people doing on the standard manifolds? ...Luke.

I've done my power on a simple relocation pipe bolted to the standard mani flange...and theres plenty more to come. Its no as important on forced induction diesels as it would be on petrols and N/As
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 01:54 PM)205 Mardi gras Wrote: What's your thoughts on Turbo manifold design? Just one pipe from the standard manifold to the new Turbo or fabricate a better flowing four into one manifold with equal length primaries? What power are people doing on the standard manifolds? ...Luke.

Equal length primaries is lovely if you can, I'm convinced you'd release another few horsies from it, but whether it's worth the hassle is debatable, if you're happy to sit down and make one from scratch, then go for it, but space is tight and you tend to melt f*cking everything in sight with it!

I've seen people making >220hp on the stock manifold - the stock one after some dremel abuse and a pipe up round, I don't see any reason why it won't make good power... Especailly with a variable geometry turbo..
Thanks given by:
(11-11-2014, 10:11 AM)Ruan Wrote:

Equal length primaries is lovely if you can, I'm convinced you'd release another few horsies from it, but whether it's worth the hassle is debatable, if you're happy to sit down and make one from scratch, then go for it, but space is tight and you tend to melt f*cking everything in sight with it!

I've seen people making >220hp on the stock manifold - the stock one after some dremel abuse and a pipe up round, I don't see any reason why it won't make good power... Especailly with a variable geometry turbo..

Basically what Ruan said

Ideal situation is to have the turbo as close to the engine as possible, keep the gas velocity up. So straight off the back of the engine would be best.

Equal length primaries would be lovely, poss even better if tuned to match the engine - although the only calculators I've seen are for N/A petrol motors.

However space is very tight, and you end up doing what you can.

I've a 4-2-1 unequal length exhaust manifold, and think its great, quite a unique sound compared to having a straight link pipe from existing stock manifold.

Conclusion me and Paul came to was to have something that had the least bends and shortest, smoothest route possible to the turbo.
Thanks given by:
End of the day, you've got positive pressure in the exhaust manifold all the time due to there being a turbine wheel (and in our case a set of vanes) before the exhaust can go to atmosphere... Especially with variable geometry/nozzle turbos, the drive pressure is insanely variable - you really can't tune it for a certain load point.

If you imagine the exhaust gasses as people getting out of places, you've just gotta make it as close as possible to "an orderly walk of people outside" rather than "people running out of a tube station that's on fire"

Exactly as Tom said above...
Thanks given by:
Tbh, get that GTB down the back! Simples!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Welcome fellow chesterfield member! Have to meet up some time Wink sounds good plans nice sleeper get a project thread up Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Thanks for all your replies. I've decided on a simple link pipe from the standard manifold to the relocated turbo mounted above the gearbox. I've picked up some thick steel pipe with nice tight, but smooth manderel bends in it which used to be part of a Scania truck engine's intake pipework. James has sorted me some uprated rods and they're sat in my kitchen. Just some bearings, ARP head studs and a couple of other bits and bobs are left to source and my exhaust to build and the build can start.
Does anyone know what other people have done to keep the power steering with this conversion? I'm hoping I can fit a 306 pump to the auxiliary belt end of the engine, as my current non turbo engine has its pump on the gearbox end of the motor. This can't swap over to the turbo engine. ( or just man up and fit a standard non power rack and put up with the horrible notchy steering that old French cars have ).
Thanks given by:
See my group buy for some ARPs!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2014, 09:36 PM)Piggy Wrote: See my group buy for some ARPs!

James has ordered some a couple of days ago. I think he's ordered them from you mate. Thanks again for sorting me that Turbo. It's going to make my little old 205 a bit dangerous.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile newbie from derbyshire crumpy 27 2,982 28-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Newlands
  Newbie From Chesterfield Potta_91 19 5,909 26-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Potta_91
  derbyshire new guy. squarepants 31 6,937 29-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Last Post: squarepants