Exhaust springs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust springs
I refitted my cat back on the car today and noticed the bolts have been replaced with a general m8 thread.
My question is, how tight shall i do it as they have a spring? Would seem counterproductive to do them up too much. At the moment i haven't used the springs and just used nuts, the exhaust is vibrating a fair bit lol

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Use the springs, they allow the exhaust and engine to move independently, it's a fundamental part of the design. Tbh i'd be inclined to just buy a new fitting kit, they're less than £15 from the motor factors and you can almost guarantee the fire ring is knackered.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks for te reply, i'll fit the springs on when im back at college. Shall i just tighten the bolt up until the thread stops or is there another way?
Thanks given by:
No, the wire gasket which u should replace as well moves and compresses but if you totally squash it, it doesn't do its job, just tighten it up equally on both sides, start car up, if it leaks tighten it a bit more Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Awesome, thanks. Just hoping the old fire ring comes off easily
Thanks given by:
It'll be fine, just get a screwdriver behind it Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I've had the car up on the ramps at college for the past 3 weeks due to exhaust issues lol

First decat came loose, backbox had a leak so did a temp fix, replaced mid/back box, put original cat back on and now got to fit a new spring kit loll

Atleast it's not costing me garage fees! Lol
Thanks given by:
A new fitting kit is £8 from ECP. Just make sure you get some copper slip on the fire ring otherwise after you pull away about 3 or 4 times, it will squeak like a right bastard.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
It's £11 from peugeot, is it worth buying from a dealer do you reckon, or shall i just get it from ECP?

And thanks for the tip, i dont fancy messing with the exhaust again after this lol

So there's no actual guideline on how tight the nuts have to be, just as long as it doesnt leak?
Thanks given by:
With the kit, you tighten till they are tight ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ah if its only £11 from pug, do that. Pattern fire rings are renowned for falling to pieces unless your lucky enough to get a good one!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
There is a torque setting for them iirc. It's not much though, like 30Nm. I've not got the Haynes to hand atm or I'd check.
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2014, 07:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: There is a torque setting for them iirc. It's not much though, like 30Nm. I've not got the Haynes to hand atm or I'd check.

alternatively, just tighten them up to the end of the thread. Sorted.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Hmm, I still prefer torqueing things to perfection. lol
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2014, 07:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: With the kit, you tighten till they are tight ThumbsUp

I snapped the one bolt by tightening it too much lol
the other one had already been changed by the previous owners for a generic thread

Atleast i got a new cat, mid section and D turbo backbox for £90 from ECP ThumbsUp

Edit: yeah i'll be checking torque settings and doing them up right this time
Thanks given by:
I guess its about feel. They are small threads
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: