Steering creaking.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering creaking.
Just looking for a little advice, got myself a nice little blaze 6 a month or so back and discovered this week ( first time ive driven it at less than a ton to hear it lol) a creak on my steering coming from the nsf.
I haven't actually had the car up in the air to have a look yet just wondering if there's any common faults for this sort of noise I should be pointing my finger at first?
Regards
Russ
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 12:43 AM)russ.gibbo76 Wrote: Just looking for a little advice, got myself a nice little blaze 6 a month or so back and discovered this week ( first time ive driven it at less than a ton to hear it lol) a creak on my steering coming from the nsf.
I haven't actually had the car up in the air to have a look yet just wondering if there's any common faults for this sort of noise I should be pointing my finger at first?
Regards
Russ

Check balljoint and trackrod/end only bits I could think that could creak. Well except cv joint that could be possible. Have it in the air and look for anything with play. Could be that. Or have someone constantly steer and listen close.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Had a clio that was creaking on lock, it was both bottom ball joints. They didn't have play they had gone dry. Squirted them both with wd40 whilst going lock to lock and that sorted it, for a while anyway
Thanks given by:
top mount bearings?
Thanks given by:
I would agree with Sam there, top mounts very likely. That or bottom ball joint if its gone dry
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 08:48 AM)Piggy Wrote: I would agree with Sam there.

Jesus Christ. Never thought Id see the day! x
Thanks given by:
Didn't think of strut tops [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] and I had creaking from my old ones on my old manstain.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
nice one chaps, I'll chuck a pair of ball joints on over the weekend and see if this cures it if not top Mount's it is.
I'm 99% certain it's not a cv joint.
Thanks given by:
Yeah id say check the top mounts as well. I had a creaking one. If you can get someone to help you, open the bonnet, put your hand on top of the top mount and get your helper to turn side to side. If its a top mount bearing, you will feel it straight away.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
If it hasn't been driven for a while its possible the top mount bearing has seized solid...it then turns in the rubber mount and makes a hell of a noise lol.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, I'm a mechanic so diagnosis shouldn't be a problem. Just wanted to see if there was any common faults for first port of call.
The car did sit for a few months before I bought it so top Mount's it could be!!
If it does Turn out to be the top Mount's, where would be the cheapest place to get a decent set?
Thanks given by:
ECP are actually fairly well priced for a set of SKF top mounts. About £45. Or you can just replace the bearings but if they are original, id do the lot personally.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Nice one niall thanks mate. Do you Know if the skf top mount kits come complete with bearings?
Thanks given by:
They do yes. Thats what I've got on my car. All there to bolt on Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Suspension Creaking . . . Alex 4 1,430 21-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Alex
  Deep creaking after lowering JJtheHITMAN 5 1,517 24-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Last Post: puglove
  "Creaking" on hard lock? Curt 22 4,120 15-10-2013, 11:25 AM