JamesPT's Suzuki Vitara XUD9sd

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JamesPT's Suzuki Vitara XUD9sd
I thought I share my Build with you all!... Some variety for ya.

First off, its a 1998n European Suzuki (Santana) Vitara (Sidekick) Metal Top, 3door, 1.9 Turbo Diesel...

Santana is the Spanish Builder, that assembled the Turbo Diesel versions of the Vitara.

The Engine, which is why I'm part of this Forum, Xud9sd Turbo Diesel!

The Actual Build Thread is already a couple pages long on another Forum, I'm gonna Transpose it to this Thread over the course of time, and at one point, my Portuguese and 306oc will sync up.

Lets start with the Normal "BEFORE" photo!
[Image: Vitara01.jpg?dl=0]

Here she is Stock (with some MT's)

First thing to do with any Build, Suspension. Coming up!

Mid 2011 ish...   Not many Options for Suspension for a Suzuki Vitara (TracKick).  

Theres Spacers and/or Spring, or Full Arms/Link kits, and I can count the producers of the Full systems on one hand.

Initially was heading for a Calmini 3" system, than found a Clone, that was a bit better, (I could get higher rated front springs needed for the TD's weight), and it was Cheaper than a US to Euro import. (4xFourArt).

[Image: IMG_1088.jpg]

Heres the Kits, including Arms, Springs, Links, Triangle, Shocks.  Even a Brake line for the rear(which didn't work... Santana did things different than Suzuki Japan.. Most times better than Japan, Tougher)
Before: Front & Rear
[Image: IMG_1102%20%28Mobile%29.JPG][Image: IMG_1103%20%28Mobile%29.JPG]

After F&R:
[Image: IMG_1128%20%28Mobile%29.JPG][Image: IMG_1127%20%28Mobile%29.JPG]
New Stance:
[Image: IMG_1126%20%28Mobile%29.JPG]

Played around like that for some time, collecting other parts, but enjoying the new toy, and its added ability.  I had plans for the TD, "More Power" of course.

Around the same period, (Dec 2011)  I had to swap out the Radio and so I also Dropped in a CB (got my license too).

[Image: IMG_1138%20%28Mobile%29.JPG]

Vitara is a Double Din style, so I got a Cb, with forward facing speaker, and the end result seems nice.

Enjoyed the Vitara like that until the summer, all the time, making Big Plans for the Summer Pause (Don't do much Offroading in the summer around here, thats beach weather!)
Thanks given by:
I like it. Wink
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Great start!

The turbo pipework looks like no intercooler?? Looks prime for one if there isnt though!

Looks like a lucas pump too Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 04:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: Great start!

The turbo pipework looks like no intercooler?? Looks prime for one if there isnt though!

Looks like a lucas pump too Undecided

Yeah, your right, thats how they came Stock, no intercooler was needed on the Xud9sd, as it only ran max 0.6Bar (9psi),

It was prime for one, when I boosted to 1.5Bar!

My 2011 Xmas Gifts to myself.

missing from Photos is my Stack Boost gauge.

[Image: IMG_1091.jpg][Image: IMG_1096.jpg]
[Image: Snorkel%20and%20Apollo.jpg]

Snorkel(duh), K&N Apollo air filter, Intercooler, pipers etc ,Boost & EGT Gauge, Gauge pod, 8" MTX Powered Sub and other bit and bolts.

Also this happened:
[Image: 2012-05-06%2019.57.36.jpg]

For a Sidekick/Tracker/Vitara Owner, that actually Off-roads there truck, its like losing your virginity!
Until 96, Suzuki used Iron diff cases and 3rd members, After 96 they swapped to Alloy units to save weight, but they aren't as strong.
Took this as a Opportunity, and Swapped in some 5.125 gears (from 4.725) as I knew bigger tires are in the plans.
Also Swapped the Alloy front 3rd and Axle cases for Iron units from a 96.

Photos are better than words (sometimes) SO.... Photo DUMP!

The fan need to move down 5cm to not hit the IC, I want to use the original, which is 27cm (11in) , but I may have to use something smaller, 8in or 2x 8in. *For the Winter, maybe I didn't need it, but summer I will.
s
[Image: IMG_1155.jpg][Image: IMG_1156.jpg][Image: IMG_1160.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1170.jpg][Image: IMG_1163.jpg][Image: IMG_1174.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1173.jpg][Image: IMG_1176.jpg][Image: IMG_1171.jpg]

Also, in the works, is the Snorkel install, not started tho. just removed body panel.

[Image: IMG_1184.jpg][Image: IMG_1188.jpg][Image: IMG_1187.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1186.jpg][Image: IMG_1190.jpg][Image: IMG_1191.jpg]

And VoaLa
[Image: IMG_1189.jpg]
Suzuki Santana Vitara 1.9 Td (Xud9) 3Dr
Thanks given by:
[attachment=19731]

[Image: 615c57719a5bf6eeff06293435221e48.jpg]

Nice looking truck! I had one but they only did the van versions over here with the xud engine

As soon as you start tuning you will realise these things get very hot! I heard a 300 TDi radiator is a good upgrade?
Thanks given by:
Whats the road tax like on these in the UK? looking for a back up to my 306 for the winter. Its either one of these or a series landrover for cheap insurance and 0 road tax.
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2014, 11:52 AM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Whats the road tax like on these in the UK? looking for a back up to my 306 for the winter. Its either one of these or a series landrover for cheap insurance and 0 road tax.

Good luck finding one of these, even a rotted white shed of one went for silly money on eBay last few days with no MOT.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Iv got the ideal engine sitting in the shed for one of thease.

Would it be easier to find a diesel gearbox, 306 engine and a petrol vitara?
Thanks given by:
IIRC theres a complete XUD conversion kit for these available for around £400. Includes engine mounts, flywheel and bell housing to suit the current box. Sure they do one for VAG 1.9's too.

Great little trucks with an XUD in Smile
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
Conversion kit on eBay for the petrol to XUD. £500

Does not include the engine though
Thanks given by:
The XUD versions of the 3dr & 5Dr are all over the place here in Spain and Portugal, but theres the RHD issue.

Anyway, Back to my Chronological build thread.

Top View, Snorkel mounted, Grill View.
[Image: IMG_1192%20%28Mobile%29.JPG][Image: IMG_1193%20%28Mobile%29.JPG][Image: IMG_1195%20%28Mobile%29.JPG]

Missing the Fans (2x 8" pusher's)... lets fix that

[Image: IMG_1203.jpg][Image: IMG_1204.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1205.jpg]

The 10" Fan didn't fit anymore, so I got 2x8" and wired them up (they are DEAD NOW... ebay fans suck!)

I also removed my front swap bar, with the 5.125 gears, she don't go so fast anymore, and this helps the IFS get Sexy Flexi

And then I noticed this!!! Noooooooo not the heater Core!!

Anyone that know what this is, KNOW how much of a PitA it is
[Image: 2012-04-18%2018.48.15.jpg] *UGH!

New Rubber! (July 2012 ish)

BEFORE--
(Fedima MaxiGrip 195(/80)R15 c/ Suzuki Original janes ...15"x6" ET10)
[Image: 1.jpg][Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg][Image: 4.jpg]

The Tires and new Rims, O Pneus e Jantes
(Insa Turbo Special Track 235/70R16 c/ Jantes 16"x7" ET5
[Image: 5.jpg]

The Result!

[Image: 7.jpg][Image: 8.jpg]
[Image: 9.jpg][Image: 10.jpg]
[Image: 11.jpg][Image: 12.jpg]

TWo Clips from the Same video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogu9ymp_...EQpw#t=597

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogu9ymp_...EQpw#t=597
Thanks given by:
Look great

Top job so far Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Ok, where we At!??? Don't know the time frame, but I'm 60% sure this is from 2012

Updated the Tubes, and got a different non-curved entry into the manifold.
Also making room for the Bosch injector pump thats coming(came)

Installed a MBC to adjust pressure.

[Image: 2012-12-18%2022.53.11.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-18%2022.53.22.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-18%2022.53.27.jpg]

The Bosch injector pumps installed, which has the boost compensating feature.

First Drive, Fantastic... New problems, with a bit more fuel and Boost Comp., I'm now slipping the Clutch as Boost/Fuel kicks in... FUN!

Missing is the Pug Sport 306 175Bar injectors, Ebay!?

Other minor updates inside, including LED lights in the rear etc,...

[Image: Boschpump.jpg]

Ok, Fast Forward to May 2013.Some updates!

The Drivers side CV is now replaced, I broke it jumping out of a huge hole at a Event for Suzukis!

I'm trying to convince myself to do the CV conversion now (the Vit runs two different CV's L/R), the conversion allows one part to replace both sides!

However, I just got the following parts to install, and I need to take my Vit to get the chairs reupholstered (as of day, still haven't done this Oct2014).

The Idea with the tubes, is to connect the Air filter to the turbo with less bends, but also move the location of the air filter a bit.

The Injectors are new Bosch units, @ 175bars! * Very hard to find new units for a reasonable price.

[Image: Screen1.png][Image: Screen2.png][Image: Screen3.png][Image: Screen41.jpg]

Don't worry, I'm getting to some actual XUD stuff soon! Smile

May-ish 2013=======
Oh, forgot one update, Winch and steel bumper (PP!)
So, making this quick, here's the Photos and a link to the Winch.

[Image: UPS1.jpg][Image: 2013-04-13%2017.27.32.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2636.jpg][Image: IMG_2646.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2647.jpg][Image: IMG_2648.jpg]
[Image: Finsihed.jpg]

Oct 2013
Bosch injectors installed, but the power seems to have gone Down?.. I think I need to Add more fuel, cause there is less or no smoke now too. *The Higher Pressure of the Bosch 175bar injectors is probably needing more force to open and therefore I need to increase the fueling screw a bit. *

But in other news, I have purchased a turbo and manifold to experiment on!
heres some examples.

[Image: 1378498_10153395364505397_1433809924_n.jpg][Image: IMG_3066.JPG]
[Image: IMG_3060.JPG]

Notice the inlet on the first photo, not at all cone shaped, just a blunt entry. As for as a Bigger Turbo, not interested in that.. That would make alot of peak power, but take ages to spool up. There isn't any room for a proper header 4-2-1 or anything like that, so I'm making the best with the stock parts (almost stock), notice no EGR on that manifold :-P

And Finally

[Image: IMG_3072.JPG][Image: IMG_3085.JPG]
[Image: 2013-10-23%2018.56.21.jpg]

Still a lot of work to do here, Wish i had an easy way to get EastWood's stuff here!!!

[Image: lda1.JPG]
[Image: lda2.JPG]

Minor Mods to the Fuel pin, this allows less fuel at low boost and more at full boost.
Worked out great. Took some time to get the tuning right, as everything is mechanical on this diesel, no ECU here!

(Oh, the Turbo/Manifold is still on the bench!, no time!)

Also installed some aftermarket (AVM) manual locking hubs, as the factory Auto's weren't handling the stress so good.

In other new, I have two new lower arms for the Front, to Pull the front tires 3cm (1.15inch) forward. Allowing larger tires, without body rub. Photos to come. Cya
Thanks given by:
So hold on, is this up to date yet? Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Later on in 2013:

Not much time for me to work on my Vitara myself, but I had some little stuff done!.

Installed that kit I (may have) mentioned before, the moves the front wheels 1.5" forward see photos.

Also had to put in new pinion bearings, so when it was opened up, I dropped in a LockRight locker... My opinion is mixed at this moment, but it does Work!

[Image: Finger%20test.jpg]
[Image: Ruler%20Test.jpg]
[Image: Ruler%20Test2.jpg]

Now onto Early 2014 and some Turbo/XUD stuff

Had the Manifold/Turbo/Downpipe sent off for pro work. Remember I'm aiming for a Low but early boosting XUD, not a 4000-6000 rpm screamer.

...Turbo and manifold are back!

The Turbo!
[Image: TurboDyn1.jpg][Image: TurboDyn2.jpg][Image: TurboDyn3.jpg]

Manifold!
[Image: TurboDyn4.jpg][Image: TurboDyn5.jpg][Image: TurboDyn6.jpg]

Downpipe!
[Image: TurboDyn7.jpg][Image: TurboDyn8.jpg][Image: TurboDyn9.jpg]

Waiting now for a huge project/build opportunity.

Mid 2014 (the Turbo and parts, at this point aren't installed, haven't found time)

Rear Bumper and Sliders

[Image: My%20Slider%201.jpg]
[Image: My%20Slider%202.jpg]
[Image: My%20Slider%203.jpg][Image: My%20Slider%204.jpg][Image: My%20Slider%205.jpg]

It time to take a break, I've collected a bunch of parts to install, The Turbo and a new rad etc etc... But I'm moving end of this month, and I'm losing my garage!

So SAD!,, I had (have till the 30th) a huge drive-in garage/basement that was 32'x38'!
I used 1/2 as my man space, with my toys there. New house is bigger, more rooms and better for my expanding family, but no garage! Theres space behind the house to do something, but thats gotta wait till I recoup some cash.

2014 August-ish...

Finally getting on with this!

Offroad season here starts up again in September,
July/August is all Beach time!, although I don't like the beach..cause I'm bleached enough lol... So I've been riding my 1966 Famel Zundapp X15 50cc bike!

Anyway,.... Heres the updates,
The parts are going on, I don't have time, so its being done at a local place that good with "Fab-ing", its not really a garage, its a rally car shop!

The red parts you've seen, but that blue one is my intake manifold, had it sent out to get the EGR sealed, and the EGR cooler (internal) cut out a bit.

I'll Post a video once its running, and let you hear the Turbo Sound, and maybe Roll some Coal!

[Image: Vitara33.jpg][Image: Vitara34.jpg]
[Image: Vitara35.jpg][Image: Vitara36.jpg]
[Image: Vitara37.jpg][Image: Vitara38.jpg]

:bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance:
ALSO, just got the word, that I'm Working the 2014 Sema Show...Woohoo!
:bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance:
Thanks given by:
Nice looking motor buddy didn't know the xud lump came in these! Making me miss my old 300 disco tho! Wish I had a bigger drive lol Photos in sunny Portugal are making me miss that place too!

oh and what coatings on that turbo and mani!?
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2014, 11:09 PM)eskimogod Wrote: Nice looking motor buddy didn't know the xud lump came in these! Making me miss my old 300 disco tho! Wish I had a bigger drive lol Photos in sunny Portugal are making me miss that place too!

oh and what coatings on that turbo and mani!?

Turbo parts have a red ZircoTec coating, and the intake is actually a brake caliper kit, didn't turn out the right colour tho.. Idea was to match the silicone hoses.
Thanks given by:
Before!!
[Image: Vitara_50.jpg]

And Done!

[Image: Vitara45.jpg]

Other updates that happened!

Air Lockers!... RD204 & RD208(10bolt), Compressor, etc...

[Image: Vitara46.jpg]

[Image: Vitara47.jpg]

And up next in the grand plan...

brakes upgrade!

The front is getting a set of 5 door calipers and vented discs, new pads.
The rear is getting Fiat Stilo rear calipers with handbrake, vitara front discs, new pads, and of course the mounting kit from Zanfi.it

[Image: Vitara51.jpg][Image: Vitara52.jpg]
[Image: Vitara53.jpg]
[Image: Vitara54.jpg]

[Image: Vitara56.jpg][Image: Vitara57.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2014, 11:52 AM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Whats the road tax like on these in the UK? looking for a back up to my 306 for the winter. Its either one of these or a series landrover for cheap insurance and 0 road tax.

Road Tax does not exist in the UK, car tax however, pre 2001 its on capacity, post 2001 its on emissions, your best bet is to look it up on Parkers website.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2015, 03:48 PM)welshpug Wrote:

Road Tax does not exist in the UK, car tax however, pre 2001 its on capacity, post 2001 its on emissions, your best bet is to look it up on Parkers website.

'vehicle excise duty' #justsayin

/pedanticpolice
Thanks given by:
3000Rpm, with 5th Gear = 100Km/h

Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl

Thanks given by:
Can't believe I've missed this, nice project and tidy work, would also like one of these Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
And ShXt!

Dropped a Conrod today!

Block it trashed!

Angry
Thanks given by:
nooo sad times D: plan to replace the block?
Thanks given by:
That sucks, at least it can't be too hard to get hold of another XUD lump.
Thanks given by:
Already found a new Xud9Te, with 150K (km) on it, with Bosch and intercooler, etc. I'm gonna haggle the price down, they want 800euro with bosch and turbo, I don't need the turbo/IC, So I'll see what I can do.
Also, its a Clean motor, mechanics cars, Crashed and rolled it!
I was so surprised to see how clean it was, almost strangely clean. Maybe he rolled it into a lake of WD40.
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2016, 02:02 PM)JamesPT Wrote: Already found a new Xud9Te, with 150K (km) on it, with Bosch and intercooler, etc.  I'm gonna haggle the price down, they want 800euro with bosch and turbo, I don't need the turbo/IC, So I'll see what I can do.

you can't be serious....
Thanks given by:
Surely someone on here can send you one cheaper??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Seriously, could send you one out there for half that price...

Overnight parts from Bicester y0!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Oh, I won't pay 800euro, I'm gonna pass there tomorrow, and work it down, and if its a better deal, I get it all and sell of the bits I don't need.

Whats a xud9te go fro in England?
Thanks given by: