Finaly got my 306 :D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finaly got my 306 :D
Hey all I have finally got my self a 306 2.0 HDI!

It has 63k miles on it, A full service history and a full MOT history as well.

It pulls well and drives quite well. Needs a bit of suspension work but seems all right over all tbf.

However it does seem to have a couple of little niggles.

One is the temperature gauge never goes above 75c. It sits there all the time when its warm no matter whether im going fast or slow.

The other is that when I let off from the throttle I get a sort of half second of rattle sorta sound. Best way to describe it is one of those big door springs being kicked if it was a bit more muffled.

Any idea guys?

Thanks  Jack
Thanks given by:
The temperature gauge thing is normal, these engines run at about 77-78 degrees. Is it getting up to that temperature ok, not taking too long?

The second bit i'm not so sure about, from your description it sounds like it could be a heat shield rattling somewhere.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yes these always run cold, especially the 306 & 206. What you can do which will make a small difference is to put some card in front of the radiator. This will help the engine get hotter in the winter and a hotter engine runs more efficiently and is usually a bit more powerful. Obviously keep an eye on the temperature gauge and watch it doesn't go much past 90.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Ahhh thats good to know cheers Smile

As for the rattle it sounds like when u put your foot down in a transit haha except on lift off haha :/
Thanks given by:
mine sat at 75 for ages until I changed thermostat now sits at 90
Thanks given by:
I checked my thermostat a few weeks ago and it still never goes above 80 unless it's stationary for over 20mins
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't sit at 90 unless you've deliberately fitted a higher-rated thermostat, the standard thermostat is set at about 83 degrees iirc. 80 degrees on the temp gauge is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mine is sitting about 75 but im gonna change all the coolant soon and make sure it has enough antifreeze. Eurocarparts has thermostats for £3.50 so I will get one and do that as well.
Thanks given by:
Mine sits at 80 all day long lol
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know what these plugs are supposed to go to?

Also my revs go up and down quite a bit on idle? Any ideas? Thanks for all the info so far Big Grin
Thanks
Thanks given by:
Those plugs are for the switches for the rear windows if you had electric windows.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Oh I see haha :S weird that they are laying around in there though. There is also some funny plug under the rear seats like a small round one with about 6 pins in it? I think it was possibly for the CD Changer maybe?

I will have to find somewhere to hide those plugs.
Thanks given by:
Peugeot made one loom for the car, if the end user didn't spec enough goodies to use all the plugs that's their problem. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thats alright then so long as it hasnt had its rear electric windows removed for some strange reason haha. However knowing that now, how easy would it be to fit electric windows??
Thanks given by:
Those plugs should be tucked safely under the centre trim piece which surrounds the handbrake Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lovely Smile where can I get a haynes manual for this car? All the ones on eBay dont seem to include the 2.0 hdi engine Sad
Thanks given by:
How much is too much blow by on one of these cars?
Thanks given by:
I don't think Haynes ever did a manual that covered the HDi but if they did i wouldnt bother. Just ask your questions on here or have a look at the guides section. Haynes manuals are rarely right lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
There are 2 manuals, one only goes to T plate - no HDi. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peugeot-Service-...306+haynes

The other goes up to 2002 and includes the HDi... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peugeot-Petrol-D...306+haynes
Thanks given by:
I have a T plate with HDI Engine in it :/ is that a worrying thing as it must have been right at the start of production then
Thanks given by:
Yep, there are a few T reg HDi's, but they are the earliest, none on an S plate. And yeah it could be a bad thing to be an early one...but its still here after 16 years lol. Wink You also don't get lumbered with the extra emmisions rubbish that was added around X reg...
Thanks given by:
What do I need suspension wise for this car? I want cyclone wheels and then a set of coilovers maybe and then a whole set of power flex bushes.
Thanks given by:
Have a look around the project section mate, lots of people have made changes to their suspension and have recorded their findings. A thread in the suspension section will probably get a more useful response too. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeahh will do just getting hyped to start actually doing things to it haha.
Thanks given by: