Cranksaft position sensor failure?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cranksaft position sensor failure?
So it turns out i haven't fixed my car. Fitted a new coil pack over the weekend and it was running a lot better. Took it for a brief drive and seemed fine. Got the car out today, went to get fuel then just passing my house to head to ace and bam, dropped off firing on cylinders 1 and 4. Im not convinced its a wiring issue as when it decided to break down at the side of the M1, it was sitting there dead still on all 4 one minute then drop to 2 then 4 as it felt so not like any particular load moving the engine pulling a cable etc.
So, I've eliminated coil pack as I've fitted a new, completely different one. It COULD be the ECU coil driver but this seems doubtful as 99% of the time, they just fail completely. Also, this only seems to happen when the cars hot and the ecu is in the cabin so not effected by heat. Ive been told it could be the CPS but not sure so wondering if it sounds right to anyone? The car has always taken ages to fire but i would imagine if it had failed, it just wouldn't fire at all seeing as all it does is pick up on the missing tooth? Or am i just over simplifying things?

Cheers all!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Surely if its CPS it wont fire at all?

Sounds like a driver/program issue if the coil is fine but its dropping two cylinders
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Nah not always although normally they do just give up hence no fire.
Issue is because its intermittent i can't test the sensor unless its not working correctly at that time but I'm reluctant to buy a new one unless i can be sure.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah, I hate faults like that, you want it to always be there to test but its never faulty when you need it to be! lol

Tried just removing it and checking for dirt n filings?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not yet. Broke down. Limped it home. Dumped it on the drive. Sulked. Drove to Ace lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Omex fwend....
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Best Position/Location for Battery -ER- 2 1,443 11-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  306 TCT throttle position sensor - Advice needed PUGNUT_XS 6 2,013 09-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Last Post: doski