drop links

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
drop links
So was going to drop my car 30mm today and the drop link decided it wasn't playing the game 1 broken drop link later and a horrendous funking noise thanks to all parts shops being shut I still have standard ride height, am I going to break the other drop link when I return to lowering the car again?
Thanks given by:
Ive my 306 lowered 80/90mm and havent broken a droplink yet.
Thanks given by:
Did you break them when you did the lowering? As I was started to remove everything from the strut that's when the drop link popped of the top ball joint
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it was just about to break anyway then! Usually have to cut the buggers off so I tend to change them when changing suspension anyway tbh.
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2014, 08:50 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Sounds like it was just about to break anyway then! Usually have to cut the buggers off so I tend to change them when changing suspension anyway tbh.

Ok well I still need to get my car lowered so maybe worthwhile doing it before I repair the broken drop link
Thanks given by:
drop links ar disposable items, you wont get them off without destroying the treads if they have been on there a while,
they are cheap, just replace them with new dont reuse them.
Thanks given by:
They are cheap to replace, and as said should be treated as a disposable item.

That said, I have never had to cut one off. Clean the threads up with (preferably) a wire wheel on a grinder/drill, or failing that a wire brush. Soak in penetrating spray and leave for 10-15 minutes.

Get your jack under the drop link ball joint, and apply (not excessive) pressure to the base of the drop link.

This is where having an impact gun comes in handy, as the nut will just buzz off. If not, you're going to have to do it by hand.

Following that ^^ I have never failed to remove one intact Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
i've never managed to get one off intact...lol except when i was adjusting stuff on the ZX and they hadn't seen the road yet, new nylocks afterwards mind,
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Hmm. I regularly cut them off at work, but TBH that's mostly because the tools are to hand and it's quicker. I'd lower it first, you don't NEED them to drive, just expect lots of body roll.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Lol, yes you can drive without droplinks. I did it for a couple of days but I just drove like a granny because of the amount of body roll.
Thanks given by:
I always use mole grips on the thread ball joint side, easy off then Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
They come off relatively easy. Cut them off if needed. They are £12 a pair on ebay and have always been fine if you arent going stupidly low.
Thanks given by:
If you're going to drive it, leave one on, take the knackered one off, if you leave both off your arb might well dig into the floor...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
impact gun ftw, best thing i've ever purchased.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ...t-wrench-2

worth every penny, I use it constantly.
Thanks given by:
Never ever had to cut one off, what are you cowboys all doing!?

Clean up the thread, bit of wd40 or similar, molegrips or spanner on the back and undo the nut!?

I dont have a buzz gun but in the garage i worked at we just buzzed them off!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
They don't all have a spanner hold on the back...if they do, of course its easy lol. No space for grips on those ones either.

Impact gun just spins the ball in the socket and cooks the grease without a counterhold lol.

I hate 306 drop links lol, never had issues removing them on any other car! Though its probably just that they'd been on longer than any other tbh, I don't have anything more than an old wire brush to clean the threads with either, that's probably the crucial part...
Thanks given by:
I'll say it again, mole grips lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2014, 10:26 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: I'll say it again, mole grips lol

We could write it on there foreheads and I dont think they will get it!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
disc cutter never fails Wink
Thanks given by:
neither does doing it properly imho

plus you avoid potentially damaging anything with the disc cutter...like the brake lines which aren't a million miles away!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
How big is your disc!? lol

Must admit, first time I ever used an angle grinder was on a drop link that had just rusted into a lump, couldn't do anything with it but cut it off....ended up taking a chunk out of the ARB at the same time. lol

I always use mole grips, probably the most used tool I've got lol...but it still doesn't help when theyre rusted solid... Plus where do you put the grips when they're links without the hold spanner hold? They just keep slipping round the shaft!
Thanks given by:
then you have got rubbish mole grips or dont tighten them enough!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Oh that's a good point, I'm probably not man enough to tighten them as much as you guys. Dodgy lol
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2014, 08:59 AM)Piggy Wrote: Never ever had to cut one off, what are you cowboys all doing!?

Clean up the thread, bit of wd40 or similar, molegrips or spanner on the back and undo the nut!?

+ 1

wire brush wd40 thread undo every thing else make a tea have a smoke then use a good 30t and a spanner if they don't play I wont mess about as said cheap to buy so take the disc cutter to them when putting them back on I do the nut up and just chuck a bit of grease on the threads
Thanks given by:
i hate the plastic ones... just had to remove one today, and it just popped off it's balljoints without a fuss, leaving the balljoints where they were meant to be, except then i had to try mole-grips and a hammer / big spanners to get the damn things off, and because they're the kind without allen bolt ends, almost impossible, so out came the death-wheel Smile i feel much better now

i just wanted to add - beforehand this one didn't have any play in it at all, it was just shit and made of cheese
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Only once, maybe twice have I had droplinks come off by undoing them. Absolute pita. I only ever seem to remove them when replacing really so no harm getting the cutter out Smile
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
I fitted plastic Lemforder ones and had to undo them today to fit my 21mm arb. I felt really smug as I had coated the threads and the torx head on the bolt liberally with copper grease. I had no problem undoing them. Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damn spinning drop links Iaitoo 24 6,210 02-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  Drop links - and now tie rods :) Iaitoo 11 2,078 16-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Drop links spec mattbarker32 27 4,285 06-08-2015, 04:05 AM
Last Post: maxzy