Hi Guys new GTI-6 owner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Guys new GTI-6 owner
Hi folks

Im Paul from Grantham, Lincolnshire.
Myself,father inlaw and both brother inlaws picked up a 306 GTI 6 last night, we are going in on it together as a track car, so have joined up on here to get some info etc.

At the moment the car is standard so whats the best upgrades to start with?
It does need front brake hoses, discs and a couple of bushes as these were on the MOT advisory.
Iv done a fair amount of trackdays and sprints in previous cars and my current road car but thats getting expensive to use for trackdays now so thats why we've gone for something a bit more wallet friendly!
We aren't looking at spending mega money on it and it must be kept road legal.

Any advice appreciated, thanks
Thanks given by:
Ferrodo DS front pads, braided lines and dot5 brake fluid.

Improve dampers all round and front springs

Replace wishbone bushes with something made better than cheese

Tyres!!

Service engine and let it breath a little

Lose some weight...the car that is Wink

And welcome ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(14-10-2014, 08:14 PM)Piggy Wrote: Ferrodo DS front pads, braided lines and dot5 brake fluid.

Improve dampers all round and front springs

Replace wishbone bushes with something made better than cheese

Tyres!!

Service engine and let it breath a little

Lose some weight...the car that is Wink

And welcome ThumbsUp

I second all of this.
strip it out, spread it wide and glue the shoes to the road.
lethal........
Thanks given by:
Any recommendations on what dampers and springs to go for?
Are stock discs with uprated pads all thats needed or is it an idea to uprate discs aswell?
Thanks given by:
Most people go with bilstein b8s with eibach springs

Pads alone would be an upgrade, discs and pads a better upgrade.

Welcone along
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Gaz golds or similar if its just a track weapon.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Remove aircon, heavy bugger!
Otherwise what everyone else is saying, replace everything made out of rubber with new replacements, maybe weld up the rear beam mounts instead of replacing them.
Always nice to read about more track cars :-)
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
Upper and lower strut brace makes a huge difference!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd suggest you get on the GTi6 forum (306gti6.com) and have a good read through the various topics about suspension setups and also peoples project threads. Lots of useful information at hand.

It's a fiver to join if you feel the need to post, but the threads are free to view.
Bianca Rallye
1989 205 GTi6 on ITBs
BMW Z4 3.0

Thousands of GTi6 parts availabile.
Thanks given by:
Service including decent filters
Remove Aircon
Strip the interior
Ferrodo Brake Pads or similar - no change to discs
Braided Brake Lines
Refurbish the rear calipersif they are sticking
Bilsten B8s with eibach springs, coilovers if youve got £400+ to spend on those (B4s are same as standard shock, B8 are better).
Decent Tyres - R888 for track, Michelin Pilot Sport 3s for road and track.

Then after all that youve got a decent setup and can work on....
Fit Buckets and harnesses
Fit racing wheel and boss
Bigger Brakes with 16" wheels to clear.
Decat and Stainless Steel Exhaust

Good luck! I use my 1.8 on track and its great fun!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the input so far guys.
Aircon removal is on the list, is there anything else needed for it apart from a shorter belt? Also what's the part number for the belt we need?

I did register to the Gti forum last night but haven't had an email yet so don't know what's happening there??

Out of interest what would a condition half leather interior be worth?
Thanks given by:
You need the tensioner and idle wheel from any non AC xu engine. There's a thread with pictures on that other forum ;-)
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
The gti forum is a bit quiet mate. Obviously biased but i strongly suggest that this is the best place to be. I was about to say you need the PAS relocation bracket but you dont need to do that unless youre fitting bodies!
Thanks given by:
Depends how far you wanna go, budget restrictions etc..

If it's all out track use, spend your money wisely on a good secondhand set of coilovers, I picked up some D2's for my estate and they're amazing on track, but also anything from Gaz or Avo is a good choice. There's lots available so plenty to choose from. Adjustable If you're going to use it on the road lots, then it's another vote for the B8's, I'm running H&R 35-40mm springs which are a little harsher than the Eibachs, but are epic on track and for hooning, while remaining comfy enough for daily use Big Grin

Then for the rear find some adjustable dampers (the Koni's on mine were good, if a little underspecced, Gaz or Avo would be better). Bigger rear torsion bars and ARB's are a great mod too, along with solid mounts (drive a car with them on first, some people don't like them).

Stiffen the front up with a pair of strut braces, and fit roller bearing or at least polybushed wishbones. Any rubber in the suspension wants to go if you're serious about track handling.

Braided brake hoses, Mintex 1166's and good quality stock discs along with a caliper rebuild and decent fluid (I really like ATE super blue racing) will sort the brakes unless you're getting really serious, then there's a multitude of expensive lightweight upgrades from there on in.

Engine wise, start with the basics until you know the car inside out and can drive it flat out. Once power is the limiting factor rather than you, the game changes but there really is no point having a fast car you can't utilize the power in. I guess the same could be said for suspension but I assume you're already reasonably capable to be thinking about a track toy..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Comfort doesn't matter so it can be as harsh as it likes! We are keeping it road legal to purely drive to and from the track.

Iv got a fair bit of experience but I'm definitely not the stig lol!
Also n/a front wheel drive is completely different to what I'm used to so it'll take a little while to get to grips with it properly.

Once we get started il put a progress thread up, thanks for all the advice so far, I'm glad I joined up!
Thanks given by:
Heres hoping the gtt part of your username is a throwback to renault 5's? Tongue

As has already been said, get your brakes and suspension setup sussed, then when can utilize every ounce of the gti6 power you can start looking at upping the power Big Grin

Welcome to the club, dont be shy of asking questions, we all started at nothing Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
If it's stiffness you want, look for 25,5mm torsion bars and either a "hybrid" or 30mm rear arb. Match with similarly stiff springs and shocks up front and HOLD ON!
I'm running K-SPORT circuit racing coilovers and rear dampers. The ONLY negative feedback I can give is that to adjust the stiffness of the rear shocks they have to be removed from the car.
Thanks given by:
Hi and welcome Have a look at demondriverdan thread on his rallye track car it might give you some inspiration/ideas
Look forward to the project thread and updates Smile
Thanks given by:
Another question!
Iv been searching about for the aircon removal bits, is it the timing belt kit that needs to be off a Rallye?
We are going to change the timing belt and water pump very soon so just wondering which kit to get.
Does anyone have the part numbers and wheres best to get all the bits for the aircon removal?

(16-10-2014, 01:15 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Heres hoping the gtt part of your username is a throwback to renault 5's? Tongue

Ha ha ha, no!
Iv only ever had Jap cars, the GTT bit is a throwback (about 9 year ago) to my old Toyota Starlet GT Turbo.
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2014, 07:02 PM)paulgtt Wrote: Another question!
Iv been searching about for the aircon removal bits, is it the timing belt kit that needs to be off a Rallye?
We are going to change the timing belt and water pump very soon so just wondering which kit to get.
Does anyone have the part numbers and wheres best to get all the bits for the aircon removal?

(16-10-2014, 01:15 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Heres hoping the gtt part of your username is a throwback to renault 5's? Tongue

Ha ha ha, no!
Iv only ever had Jap cars, the GTT bit is a throwback (about 9 year ago) to my old Toyota Starlet GT Turbo.

Aha well it was a wild stab in the dark Tongue Only one GTT for me and thats a 5 Wink

And the timing belt kit is the same for rallye / gti6 Smile

Depends what you want to do with the aircon? if you want to remove the complete aircon system then you need a Rallye AUX belt setup and Non aircon aux bracket.

If you merely want to bypass the aircon pump you just need a shorter belt. (unfortunately i dont have the part number)

Tbh removing the aircon completely is rather pointless on a 6 as the non aircon bracket on a rallye weighs a ton lol

Hope this helps Smile
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Just the at compressor weighs somewhere between 5and 10 kg, add to that the condenser and piping weights, every little bit helps :-)
Thanks given by:
Lots of useful advice so far,keep it coming!

Thought id best put a few pcis up to show you what we got.
These are the pics from the advert as haven't had any daylight to take our own.
[Image: 3061_zps5d4756e0.jpg]
[Image: 3062_zps29b23351.jpg]
[Image: 3063_zps1fb45515.jpg]
[Image: 306ENG_zps02dce20e.jpg]
[Image: 306INT_zps4352d1f2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Rip the dash out and leave it out. Replace massive heater box with light ph1 heater box!!

And dont assume TBs and ARBs the thickness of your arm will result in more grip!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Welcome, im sure this has been on eBay for a while, looks to be in good condition, enjoy!
Thanks given by:
Ah so you bought toms car! Was a complete bargain that Smile

Tom on here goes by the username Orta Smile
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that's the guy!
I only live a couple of streets away so was very handy.

Its not in bad nick actually so quite pleased with it!
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to seeing this hoon around near me!!
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Hi guys new pug dturbo owner here! Mac22 35 5,927 20-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Nick306td
  GTI-6 owner soon to be d-turbo owner instead LukeC88 36 12,112 01-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Jonny b