Peugeot 205. Derv missile.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 205. Derv missile.
Hi there, fairly new to the forum, Motorsports engineering student from N.I, usually build and rent out MX5 track cars, but after doing a bit a prep on a 205 track car I was stricken with the disease that is French cars.
Decided I wanted one as a runabout, so diesel was the choice, after reading up and some research I stumbled across the madness of xuds haha, my eyes were opened to the possibility of a seriously quick derv weapon, so that is the eventual plan for this project.
I am a coded welder and luckily struck up a deal with a fellow enthusiast to make his 205 solid again in exchange for gti interior, carpet seats etc and some suspension fun things.
Progress so far includes:
-Fitted omp deep dish wheel (very important)
-Fully cleaned inside and out
-polish and wax
-Fully steam cleaned underneath
-Completely stripped front suspension
-secondhand Monroe shocks and lowering springs
-Raised blood pressure due to seized shock pinch bolt
-Brand new bottom arms and track rod ends
-Lathered suspension in grease for ease of future disassembly
-Stripped, greased and rebuilt front brakes
-Fitted inner cv boot
-Gearbox oil changed
-Fitted splitter stolen from vag (prize for correct guess)
So far I have fully cleaned it inside and out, gave it a polish and wax, fully steam cleaned underneath, completely disassembled the front suspension, swore and bate the sh1te out of the shock pinch bolt, lathered all components in grease for ease of future disassembly, stripped, greased and rebuilt the brakes, fitted an inner cv boot, did a gearbox oil change while I was at it. F
Thanks given by:
Didn't fit the red carpet yet as I want to steam clean it before it goes in.

Before and after lowering the front. Rear axle rebuild imminent D:

Front suspension all greased and rebuilt. Brakes got the same treatment. And fitted up the splitter.

New inner cv boot fitted and then some shameless pics from yesterday.

I'm very happy with the progress so far, been flat out with a lot of late nights at it, only had it two weeks so it's had a mini restoration already haha. Next on the cards is a rear axle stripdown. There isn't any noticeable play, but I'd rather strip it down, inspect and tap in a grease nipple or two as preventative maintenance, it also needs dropped to match the front. The arches already scuff like mad but unfornately at the minute I only have have the rear gti arches, missing front ones and door trims so will have to acquire them and make some arch clearance courtesy of Mr grinder.
Thanks given by:
Some nice progress there, what are plans for the engine and turbo then? ?
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Welcome along, nice project you've got going there, keep us updated
Thanks given by:
Its like a red joey!!

Love it! How big(small!?) are those front brakes?! Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
NICE. Love the 205s
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Hi zx volcane, assume you are Tom, I'm Aaron was talking to you about the rods last week!
Plans enginewise are to put my tig skills to the test and fab up some manifolds of the exhaust and inlet variation.
I have stripped and rebuilt a fair few engine so will hopefully get my hands on an xud9 to strip and rebuild with all the fancy bits. At the minute I'm trying to prep it for mot as I do plan to daily it whilst putting together a decent dturbine.
The brakes are adaquate because it's absolutely dead as hector and wouldn't pull the skin off a custard, but i wouldn't say they inspire confidence lol. They will hopefully be changed along with a gti subframe and 309 bottom arm set up to replace the sh1te arb control arm setup.
All of this is money and time permitting I have a lot of service work, welding and other projects to be at besides the main issue which is dough :/
Thanks given by:
So a small update is in order. SoItme progress has been made, been struggling to get gone at it between work and other projects. But have been gathering some parts, bits and pieces for it.
Some fibreglass sparco bucket seats, unsure of whether to fit haha, need the power to back up the sort of statement you make by fitting them.
Cibie iode spots (going all out rally spec Wink ) brand new ring roadrunner front fogs as the reflective backing on my own has gone brown and some nicer number plates with fancy writing haha. I got a driverside headlight off a mates breaker but unfortunately the sealer/glue around the lens must go off as it fell off in my hand. Not to worry, araldite soon sorted that. Replaced the one in it as again the reflective backing had corroded and would not pass mot.
I decided to strip the bumpers off it to clean in behind, prep for welding the inner guard at the front and to waxoyl in behind. Also because the bumper bolts looked seized to feck (they were) thought better to deal with the pain in the arse now rather than when I go to fit a huge front mount in the future Tongue
Got my cousin who does vinyls to print the shell writing (group b rally style) to cover a huge stonechip on the bonnet.
And found a graveyard where I acquired a very straight red bootlid with the black trim to replace the one the previous owner had used as an object detector.
That's all for now!
Thanks given by:
So another update. At 8.30 last night I thought it would be a great idea to begin sorting the rot on the d/s wheel arch between the strut and the headlight, a very common area for rot on 205s, I actually acquired the gti interior by sorting this rot on a friends 205 in exchange. Naively thought mine wasnt anywhere near as bad, until of course I started peeling back underseal to find the nice crusty stuff lurking underneath. I'm a great believer in doing it right so peeled it all back entirely and cut out every piece of questionable metal I could find. And then started rebuilding it with fresh 2mm plate, a bit heavy but nothing argues with 2mm Wink ended up chopping out the front panel below the healthy and right up to the strut Tower. Rebuilt it in three pieces as it seemed easiest. Fully seam welded up top and in below. Awkward place to weld but took my time and finally finished at 2.30am last night lol.
Thanks given by:
Just read this project from start to finish thats some of the best bodywork repair welding ive seen in a long time at least your doing the job right and cutting all the rot out when i was a mot tester some of the repairs i saw was unbelivable plates just welded over rotten sills etc.
Thanks given by:
Good work, looks like a tidy repair. Flat that back, lick of paint and it'll be hard to spot it's ever been welded.

As you say, that's one area were most 205's are suffering rot these days, often worse than it initially appears as there's inevitably more hiding out of sight beneath the underseal.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Welcome, that looks a great little project.
205's are HUGE fun, even in n/a diesel form, believe me (I've had 4 of them and surprised a lot of cars on the road).
rear beam from a 309 is a bolt on swap and will give you a slightly wider rear track than standard and you have the choice of either drums or discs as well (depending on model it comes off).
All I ever did with my 205 d's, was swap the from struts/springs for 1.6 GTI items (straight swap) and fit 1.6 GTI 14" Speedline alloys, leaving the rear completely stock. It seemed to work perfectly.

Will
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the replies lads, keeps the motivation up. Im a coded welder and spend most of my time cutting out the sh1te people weld over rust. Really like this wee car so wanted a tidy job. It got a coat of zinc primer but have yet to do a final tidy up and paint cherry red again. It needs a small area sorted underneath the rear seats, and I haven't had a real chanceto poke around but the rear bump stop area is also questionable. But this was the most serious bit hopefully haha. Probably stiffer than it was standard now with the 2mm in.
Plans to widetrack it with 309 axle and bottom arms just have to get cash together. I already had 4 rear gti arches and a one front but was missing door trims, but just after buying another full set aswell as a spoiler so they should hopefully arrive next week and I'll get onto some arch trimming because it scuffs like mad with the 1.9 alloys on it, even the rear at standard height!!
Thanks given by:
Great to see yet another 205 which isn't a GTi getting some love and attention.

Keep up the good work Smile
Thanks given by:
nice weldy work! Smile

mig?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mig indeed, do tig training but would be mega money to have one at home :/
Thanks given by:
this is a beauty.

the exciting bit is coming, i can hear the big scania holset spooling up lol
Thanks given by:
This looks like a absolute beast Smile

Top work on the welding ,proper jealous of your seats aswell.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Nice to see another 205!

Keep us updated
Thanks given by:
Plenty of progress since the last update. Need another laptop to upload it all mine is painfully slow. Next few days I'll post a big update Smile
Thanks given by:
So this is long overdue an update, huge amount of work undergone since the last update. Various things still to do. I will attempt to arrange the pictures in the best format. Enjoy!
Engine rebuild:

GT2056s Fitment. Godsend that the standard k14 oil line fitted perfectly and simply needed bent to shape. Iveco van oil return also bent to shape. Felt as if the whole thing was meant to be:

Flywheel lightened and original water-oil cooler changed in place of a 13 row non-thermostatic oil cooler mounted behind the rad.

Thanks given by:
Photos arranged very badly hahaha, this did not go to plan. All the work was carried out over 8ish months hence the poor arrangement and recollection of when I did things lol.
The pump rebuild is a familiar sight for many of us haha, soon to be for me again as ive reached the limit of the 9mm ;P

These last two show how she sits at this very minute!

Thanks given by:
Some more random ones from the rebuild that I have found!

Thanks given by:
Love the project not too sure about the gauze on the turbo, gonna be quite restrictive I would have thought Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
and various others!

So the basic spec as it stands:

Engine:
-HDI rods polished with new big ends
-Lightened Flywheel
-ARP Headstuds
-Ported and polished head, valves lapped, all resealed
-13 row oil cooler, mounted behind rad, non-thermostatic, stubby oil filter
-9mm Bosch rebuilt and resealed, gov'd and LDA
-GT2056s mounted on non-egr mani, EGT probe fitted, running 19-20psi
-Still running TMIC, non-egr inlet.
-2.5 inch downpipe and straight-through to single straight through backbox

-266mm brakes up front
-Fully rebuilt rear axle, crying out for thicker torsion bars
-OMP lower strut brace, just purchased upper one
-Full gti arch kit and trim
-GTI spoiler
-Boost, volt and water temp gauges all TIM
-OMP deep dish wheel
-Full GTI interior

I have been away in England for the past 3 months, very much missing embarassing other vehicles with a 1980's diesel. I have loved driving this for around 5 months with approx 140-150hp. Maxed the 9mm with ease and burns clean as a whistle. The plan for when I get back is to upgrade to a 10mm pump, fit the huge twin pass front mount I have, up the boost to around 24psi, as well as fit the oil temp and pressure gauges, and aim for around 160-170hp reliably.

(22-11-2015, 10:55 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Love the project not too sure about the gauze on the turbo, gonna be quite restrictive I would have thought Smile

Temporary measure only! Managed the whole swap including full exhaust and downpipe fabrication within a day. I'm glad I at least went with the gauze judging by the things that have been stuck in it  TMI TMI
When fitting the front mount I plan to fit a huge K&N I have stowed away. Proper filtration is the answer!
Thanks given by:
What a great project thread, loads of nice photos.

Where are you planning on shoehorning that massive twinpass?

Should go like a rocket with that setup!
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2015, 08:06 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: What a great project thread, loads of nice photos.

Where are you planning on shoehorning that massive twinpass?

Should go like a rocket with that setup!

It sits level with a 155ish hp starlet at the moment. 160-170hp would be optimal to *hopefully* keep the rods inside the block.
Absolutely no idea where the twin pass is going lol, on the roof possibly. I should not be let loose on ebay. Probably should have gone for a smaller one but size matters haha
Thanks given by:
lovely. all you need now are some coloured trim inserts, or to paint over the clips. Wink
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2015, 10:12 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: lovely. all you need now are some coloured trim inserts, or to paint over the clips. Wink

Been on the to-do list for so long haha, I have them and all they just need fitted. Been enjoying driving it too much lol
Thanks given by:
Awesome photos & project. Just love the quad spot lights up front. Are you planning on rallying with it? I used to do "12-car road rallies" many years ago, good fun!
Thanks given by: