The "stock" S16 project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "stock" S16 project
(14-01-2015, 07:28 AM)Poodle Wrote: Can't believe how easily that engine came apart after it had been stood for a while, makes a change from the HDis!

That electrolysis bath is the dogs danglies though, need to find something we can fit a block in...

The external brackets and engine mounts were a different story tbh, and the sump required some persuasion to let go lol 

I'm working on it..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Today has been electrolysis day. I started this morning with a wire brush on the drill, spent maybe 5 minutes going over this and here's the result. I'm happy to say the least, there's not a spot of rust left and there's no other effects Big Grin

[attachment=21160]
[attachment=21161]

Then I got the crank out of the block, the main bearings and the crank look good, but I'm getting quotes for replacements.

[attachment=21162]

A short trip to B&Q later and I jumped in the deep end.. Results tomorrow!

[attachment=21163]
[attachment=21164]
[attachment=21165]
[attachment=21166]

Thanks given by:
Ha nice one. That block should come up a treat after being in there a while!
Just do not paint the block gloss black if you do decide to paint it when you rebuild it. Mine had a leak which was ending up all over the lower engine mount/drive shaft. Could i trace it? Could i f*ck!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2015, 11:16 PM)Niall Wrote: Ha nice one. That block should come up a treat after being in there a while!
Just do not paint the block gloss black if you do decide to paint it when you rebuild it. Mine had a leak which was ending up all over the lower engine mount/drive shaft. Could i trace it? Could i f*ck!

I'm looking forward to the results, should be pretty awesome Big Grin 

And the block is going red to match the rocker cover and the car, I remember Carl's yellow block showing every tiny weep up, it's great for that! 

Thanks given by:
will be interesting to see that block.

Nice work jonny!
Thanks given by:
good work dude, always been a fan of this
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Another day of mixing electricity and water, We're always told that it's a bad idea but I call bullshit. It's a great idea!

This is how the engine looked after 12 hours of electrolysis in the bath, time to take it out and hose down! 

[attachment=21172]

I ran water through the oil and water ways in the block, then followed up with loads of WD40. Also dried the bearing surfaces, gasket surfaces and bores and gave them a good spray too. I'll wire brush it all tomorrow, and give the bearing surfaces etc another clean then get oil on them and in the oilways to ensure everything is free from moisture. 

[attachment=21174]
[attachment=21175]
[attachment=21176]

I've thrown the sump in next, the rest can be done in the smaller bath.

[attachment=21177]

I've had a go at the eggsauce manifold too, filed out to gasket match the S16 one. I'll be adding welds round the outside of the flange once I've finished filing, don't want to have to file through hardened metal if I can help it!

[attachment=21173]

Thanks given by:
I got the sump cleaned up yesterday, took a bit more wire brushing than the other bits, but still came up like this after just 15 minutes of wire brushing and cleaning!

[attachment=21185]
[attachment=21186]
[attachment=21187]

The engine also got the treatment, but I had to go out for more wire brush attachments as the ones I had weren't really small enough to get into the corners of the block.

[attachment=21188]

Hopefully I'll have the engine primed up today, ready for painting then honing and rebuilding Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Great build, thanks for sharing!
Thanks given by:
Back to it today! With a day of watching paint dry. And attempting to get some more porting done on my eggsauce mani, although the paint fumes made that difficult. Going to make manshed no.3 tomorrow, convert the shed into a spray booth/electrolysis workshop, and fix the door on it  Dodgy lol 

Anyway, pictorrz. Because they tell lots of words or something. And writing isn't shiny. Or red. Big Grin

[attachment=21226]
[attachment=21227]
[attachment=21228]
[attachment=21229]

Thanks given by:
Almost seems a shame to put oil in it and ruin the cleanliness of it all
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2015, 06:45 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Almost seems a shame to put oil in it and ruin the cleanliness of it all

Oh the oil won't effect the cleanliness, it'll be staying in the block.. If it comes out, I fully intend to fix the leak lol

Thanks given by:
Look great jonny

What colours you got planned for the rest of the engine.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
So I've packed up the engine and stuck it on the back burner for now, mostly due to the cost of doing it properly. I'll get on with it as soon as I can though.

In the meantime I've made a start on getting the underside cleaned up and redone, I want to get rid of any rust before it becomes a problem and also the massive amount of soil stuck to everything lol I've removed the exhaust, heat shield, beam, rear bumper, spare wheel cage, fuel tank and filler neck, loom and brake lines so far, and given it a good jetwash.. Turning the drive into a mudbath   Dodgy

[attachment=22165][attachment=22166][attachment=22167]

Thanks given by:
looking good the jon, I need to get under the back end of mine and give that a stone chip.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse Poodle 598 229,455 12-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: TommiePuglet