GUIDE: Gear Knob Removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GUIDE: Gear Knob Removal
This is a guide for removing the 5 speed gear knob. Probably the same for the 6 speed one but not sure about the pull up collar bit. Inspired to make this after Nauest came and got my nob off me as his was worn from over use. :hand:

So anyway here we go....

1. Twist the nob lots. Its not going to come easily. If you look at one that has been removed then you will see it has two tabs which means that it can only come off at 90 degrees.

2. Pull like feck whilst twisting WARNING - Do not hit yourself in the face when it suddenly comes off!

[Image: IMG_20120410_193533.jpg]

3. Its off.

[Image: IMG_20120410_192402.jpg]

Putting it back on is the opposite of removal. whistle We didnt quite get around to that bit so we half put it on but it came off in Neds hand which meant he had to stop driving feet away from my drive and try and refit it!

EDIT: Apparently its easier to fit the knob once its warmed up so perhaps get a hairdrier on it!

[Image: IMG_20120410_195238.jpg]

Hope this tutorial helped lmao tbh the main point is dont be afraid to give your nob a good tug. Do watch out for sore hands and pulling the leater outer skin off though!

Now that you have got a spare nob lying around why not use it alongside your actual nob? THe silver disk part with the gear location comes out of the top of the nob and can easily with a bit of drilling and sanding be made into an epic key chain! Tutorial to come for that one! :dance:
Thanks given by:
You also need to take care not to roll back the skin when refitting the knob.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Another good point is make sure you don't get to excited.. pull to hard and make the special gear knob liquid explode everywhere*

Gear knob liquid may or may not be real and may or may not be a innuendo for jizz
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
key ring part added! How could i forget!
Thanks given by:
Doh
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Wow such an awesome guide rowell...
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4wayDildo Wrote:Wow such an awesome guide rowell...

cheers. I'll be doing some more in the future Wink
Thanks given by:
More points to take note of:

-If you have a friend with you in the car, be cautious not to slap them with your knob
-If you have a shorter knob than others (i have cut mine slightly, personal preference) you will need a better hand hold, and possibly a rag and lube to aid the process
-If your knob is excessively worn and comes apart in your hand, don't try and piece it back together, its a lost cause, you need a replacement
-If you find that your knob is loose, it is likely to be a slag, therefore you do not know where it has been, warranting a replacement before you dirty your hands
-If you find that the weird tampon looking thing that should be in your knob, has been left on the shaft upon removal, cut the tapon type thing off and replace new knob with a new tampon thing inside

Just a few tips that I have picked up on my travels...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
lmao ^^
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Apparently it is much easier to fit a new knob if you heat it up a bit! Ill add that to the above.
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:Apparently it is much easier to fit a new knob if you heat it up a bit! Ill add that to the above.

[Image: Heat.jpg]

ninja

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
lol

Fitting a new knob is the reverse of removing it? You mean you use your face to hit it back on?
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:lol

Fitting a new knob is the reverse of removing it? You mean you use your face to hit it back on?

yep you gotta use something soft to push it on or you bend the top part of the gear knob in! Dont use a hammer! lol Big Grin
Thanks given by:

I feel sooooo sorry for you if thats how Kim does it ninja

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:

I feel sooooo sorry for you if thats how Kim does it ninja

So that's what that thumping was at camping.........
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Haha, I didn't realized you had posted this all up Srowel. Glad you show my knobbing antics in such good light. Smile

It is great not having a worn out one though, its a real hit with the ladies. :handgestures-thumbupright: lmao
Thanks given by:
Follow up the the gear knob key ring idea, seeing as it was raining and I was bored I decided to go ahead and make one.
Might even put a guide up, it looks pretty neat.

[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Looks quite cool that. May have to do it myself
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Guide up, although I'm sure most of you can figure it out!
Thanks given by:
i smacked my interior light and broke it with my elbow.... Sad
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2012, 06:06 PM)wonkey18 Wrote: i smacked my interior light and broke it with my elbow.... Sad

youre doing it right!
Thanks given by:
is it possible to re-load the pictures please?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: Centre console facia removal 4WayDiablo 10 10,560 01-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Last Post: mduarte
  Guide: Front and Rear seat removal ginge191 15 13,621 09-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Last Post: ginge191
  GUIDE: Steering Wheel Removal/Fitting (including airbags & bosses) Eeyore 3 9,429 11-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile