disconnected steering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
disconnected steering
My car is handling really bad, feels disconnected. I've noticed play in the steering wheel both vertically and horizontally. Could this be the steering column? If so, would I have to replace the whole column?

Thanks in advance!
Thanks given by:
Does the car wander from side to side even when holding the wheel still?
If its just the fact that the steering wheel feels loose and wobbly, its the bearings in the column. Im sure they could be replaced but for the ease and cost of a second hand one, id just replace the column.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thank you Niall, I did a search on the gti 6 forum and came to the same conclusion. How hard is the column to replace? Im fairly competent..... done wishbones, wheel bearings etc.... so would like to try and give it a go myself.

thanks again!
Thanks given by:
Steering wheel off, stalks off, wiring unclipped, 4x bolts undone, a UJ to undo where it meets the intermediate shaft and it should wiggle out.
The key barrel will need changing over which can be a bastard. There is a tab you have to push in hard whilst turning the key from off to the first click.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thank you. Just need to get a replacement column now!
Thanks given by:
Got a replacement column, hopefully I will only have to replace the top part, other than the ignition barrel is there anything else to watch out for? Any other tips for things to do while Its apart?
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2014, 10:03 PM)Niall Wrote: Steering wheel off, stalks off, wiring unclipped, 4x bolts undone, a UJ to undo where it meets the intermediate shaft and it should wiggle out.
The key barrel will need changing over which can be a bastard. There is a tab you have to push in hard whilst turning the key from off to the first click.

I've got a replacement, just trying to get the ignition barrel off (replacement one) and I'm stuck. There's a few tabs that are pressed in which looks like they need to be pushed up? Can't really see a way to do it or am i missing something?
Sorry for the noob questions!

Done it!
Thanks given by:
Do you have the key for the barrel?

If so, turn the key (can't remember if it's position 1 or 2 now) and the two tabs will push upwards allowing the barrel to be removed (there's a small screw on the other side too)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by: