DemonDriverDan's Rallye Race Car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DemonDriverDan's Rallye Race Car
Yea, I've sent mine off and had it back again. Once you've done that it should be plug and play
Thanks given by:
No pictures but I test fitted the wheel studs to a hub and they worked ok. Took a few attempts to find a good enough drill bit but got there in the end! Will get the local garage to press the studs in properly when they refit the flange and bearings to the hub.

Took the car outside for the first time to pressure wash and gunk the engine bay:

[Image: oDK3xJzl.jpg]

[Image: 7HtahQxl.jpg]

[Image: BSsApwwl.jpg]

Then gave it a couple of coats of etch primer:

[Image: 5J23DPnl.jpg]

[Image: 5oVIYNrl.jpg]

Followed by some red:

[Image: 6PXzDIPl.jpg]

Needs another coat of red in the engine bay and a couple more in the footwells as it rubs off during the year.

Also painted the slam panel, subframe mount cups and brake servo:

[Image: 1HPrKKEl.jpg]

Nearly time to start fitting things back on again!
Thanks given by:
Since the last update I've finished painting the engine bay and refit most of the front end so it can be a rolling shell again. Thanks to pug_306 for the new steering rack to replace the bent one and the new wings!

There are some stuff I forgot to photograph like the dash being finished and plates I've made to fill holes in the bulkhead, not that any of them are very exciting Smile

Engine bay looks quite nice now:

[Image: ZYoX9tGl.jpg]

Hubs with the stud conversion, I need to drill out the brake discs a bit to make them fit but not the end of the world:

[Image: Re2IwLCl.jpg]

Steering column also fitted. You can just about make out the template for where the digital dash will sit, should be nice when it's finished!

[Image: POtYZktl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wow thats motoring on lovely now! I've got to do the same too my engine bay now Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
where do you run the ecu loom into the car?
Thanks given by:
Looking good
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2015, 05:23 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Wow thats motoring on lovely now! I've got to do the same too my engine bay now Smile

The engine bay looks great now it's painted, much better than it was before. I've just used Halfords rattle cans, nothing special.

(29-12-2015, 05:44 PM)Eeyore Wrote: where do you run the ecu loom into the car?

It currently connects in via the original loom however I'm creating a new bulkhead connector for it to go through as I don't need most of the wires in that loom.

(29-12-2015, 06:07 PM)Blandy Wrote: Looking good

Cheers, getting there slowly but surely Smile Would like to have it done by the end of Jan although that depends on how long the bodyshop take
Thanks given by:
Yeah used pug 306 for many bits and always comes up trumps Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
looking awesome
Thanks given by:
Awesome little read,hope 2016 brings many more wins for you!
Thanks given by:
Fair bit has happened since the last update. It now has an engine, brakes, dashboard, and wiring! Satchshift is all fitted as well and feels great.

[Image: lPhhIfHl.jpg]

I'm creating a new wiring loom for the car as the standard one is massively overkill for what I need now. It's a huge amount of work and is taking far longer than I expected but should be nice and simple when done. Most of the engine wiring is in place but I haven't got everything for the bulkhead connector yet so still more to do. Some photos of the progress:

[Image: ei0dxbGl.jpg]

[Image: 6Q9QVbrl.jpg]

[Image: xaT3WyBl.jpg]

Lots of spare wire!

[Image: iopbeu1l.jpg]

Trusty heater that kept me warm all weekend

[Image: oQnZ0wZl.jpg]

Car now runs although the map seems to have changed slightly with the firmware update as it's running a bit lumpy. It goes in to the bodyshop next weekend for a few weeks which will cause some delays but has to be done.

[Image: RRcsYBil.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Car's back from the bodyshop now, good turnaround considering the amount of work that was needed! Also trial fitted the splitter. Front of the car is going to be lowered a bit to help it but a reasonable start.

Less dents:

[Image: Tcx3n0pl.jpg]

[Image: owWn6zzl.jpg]

[Image: W53hcGql.jpg]

[Image: IdvPvaSl.jpg]

Spoiler was also painted and put together:

[Image: qb8hfB2l.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So after a long and frustrating week I've finally had the car on track. Took it to the dyno company on Tuesday to get my power run done for the championship and what I thought would be a quick remap after changing to the standard manifold. Turned in to a full remap with the bill to prove it! Only lost 0.3hp at the wheels going from a Maniflow 4-2-1 to the standard manifold though. It also decided to throw oil on the floor from the rear main seal. Refitted that and it was still dropping oil which turned out to be the hockey stick seals, spot the problem:

[Image: dMnUOQYl.jpg]

With that fixed I finished off the wiring and got the fuel gauge to work with the digital dash which took a bit of messing around with resistors. Finally I fitted the rear spoiler and put it all back together again.

[Image: yFi6Ebol.jpg]

[Image: x10rL8Tl.jpg]

Yesterday we went off to Brands for the first run. There were some pretty frustrating issues with brakes jamming on but we eventually sorted those and could put some laps in. It's fast, very fast. Between me and my brother we only had 2 clear laps and beat our fastest ever lap round there with a 55.7. The aero is definitely limiting us in a straight line but really works through the corners, the grip it has is incredible.

Quick drive-by video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPUWdcnpo9M

Ended the day with my brother going a little wide through Surtees and cutting the grass (literally!), also managed to knock the fan off:

[Image: R6VlDGLl.jpg]

Day ended well. Engine survived although it's weeping a little bit of oil from the other side now, nothing to worry about. Hopefully doing a test day at Snetterton next week where I can test with and without the aero package to see how much of a difference it's making to speed.
Thanks given by:
That's quite a splitter. Car is looking awesome painted and repaired.
Thanks given by:
Epic as usual...

Splitter home brew? Really feels like its working? Why the change to the the diff manifold?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Satchshift id imagine
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2016, 11:15 PM)fatlapit Wrote: Satchshift id imagine

Ahh righto yeah...

Worth the compromise I'm sure...heard those shift kits woopass
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Splitter is home built, yea. The aero package works very well, the amount of grip we have now is astonishing considering we're running 2 year old race tyres on a drying track! Had to change back to the standard manifold as the 4-2-1 was fouling on the Satchshift. The Satchshift is really nice although it's not some hail Mary device that's going to make any real difference in speed, just driver comfort. The 3rd to 4th gear change is pretty epic though, feels like a sequential box Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2016, 09:55 AM)DemonDriverDan Wrote: Splitter is home built, yea. The aero package works very well, the amount of grip we have now is astonishing considering we're running 2 year old race tyres on a drying track! Had to change back to the standard manifold as the 4-2-1 was fouling on the Satchshift. The Satchshift is really nice although it's not some hail Mary device that's going to make any real difference in speed, just driver comfort. The 3rd to 4th gear change is pretty epic though, feels like a sequential box Big Grin

If your now selling that 4-2-1 i know a guy after one...

Looks like fantastic progress with the car, cant wait to see some in car footage on a dry track!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Forgot to take the GoPro to Brands so no footage from that. I have some more external shots I'll try and upload.

The 4-2-1 has provisionally sold but will let you know if it's available. Comes with a full exhaust system as well.
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2016, 01:36 PM)DemonDriverDan Wrote: Forgot to take the GoPro to Brands so no footage from that. I have some more external shots I'll try and upload.

The 4-2-1 has provisionally sold but will let you know if it's available. Comes with a full exhaust system as well.

I know ozonehostile is seriously looking for a 4-2-1 manifold and also could do with replacing his crappy magnex on the ITB6 so worth dropping him a PM if your sale falls through Smile

Dont forget to take the gopro too snetterton then! Tongue
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
the oem manifold is a very good design in its own right, proven capable of flowing for over 250hp.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2016, 08:04 PM)Stef205 Wrote: the oem manifold is a very good design in its own right, proven capable of flowing for over 250hp.

Yeah...I duno about the capabilities... But as standard oem manifolds go... Its bloody good lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
only going on mr browns findings, primary lengths is key on a good n/a mani and both are about the same in comparison.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Great read Dan, lovely looking car, I wish I had the knowledge, patience and money you have. Living a dream, enjoy it
Thanks given by:
Definitely taking the GoPro to Snet, need to test how it integrates with my data logger. When I start logging it should trigger the GoPro to start recording which I can then use to look at data and video together.

(24-02-2016, 10:28 PM)impotentials Wrote: Great read Dan, lovely looking car, I wish I had the knowledge, patience and money you have. Living a dream, enjoy it

Trust me, there's a limit to how much time / effort / money you can put in before you get frustrated with the damn thing Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Couple more photos of how it sits at the moment.

I really want to get some sort of waterproof case for the Omex but no one seems to sell one:

[Image: qeqcrGal.jpg]

Lovely bodies and wiring Big Grin Fire extinguisher is also plumbed in now as well so nearly race ready.

[Image: KOnJPC9l.jpg]

Digi dash and warning lights:

[Image: G7KPI9ll.jpg]

I did a video of how it starts and how the dash works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaOU5R-q7UE
Thanks given by:
Have a look at some of the boxes maplins do, they don't look mint but I was going to get one for my omex when I had the Vlr 6 sure they would do the job just fine. Don't look great but so what if it's going to protect your £600+ Ecu from the elements

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=WEAT...OF%20BOXES
Thanks given by:
Good point, cheers dude. Surprised no one sells one tbh
Thanks given by:
Or just extend your loom and run the Ecu in the car
Thanks given by: