DemonDriverDan's Rallye Race Car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DemonDriverDan's Rallye Race Car
(23-07-2015, 12:41 PM)DemonDriverDan Wrote: Cheers Sam. I've got a couple more videos to put together from our win at Brands Indy and the Cadwell race earlier in the year.

(23-07-2015, 11:31 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: am I right in thinking you've gone from dual-circuit to single-circuit brake system?

If I understand what you mean it's still a dual circuit system. One port from the master cylinder feeds the front brakes via a t-piece and the other port feeds the rear by a t-piece. I run a larger MC than the standard GTi6 one as well.

ah, gotcha. Cool
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 01:17 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Ooh what master cylinder you running then and what size?

25.3mm from a VW Transporter!
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2015, 06:02 PM)DemonDriverDan Wrote: Not done Croft an unlikely to. Only a few race days there during the entire year and they're generally taken by the bigger series.

you not thought about doing some testing there?
Thanks given by:
No point travelling all that distance just to test really
Thanks given by:
Did another race at Brands GP. Wasn't the best weekend as one of the rear ARB plates started to come off in quali then in the race the front right tyre popped off the rim after someone decided to shut the door on me while I was overtaking. Little annoying as I think we would have had another podium. Oh well, no real damage to the car other than a bit of paint transfer and a small dent in the rear. Next up is Donington which should be good fun.

In the mean time the new engine has been mapped and is ready to go in the race car. Won't have it done in time for Donington but should be in for the race after at Oulton:

[Image: mQVNfLnl.jpg]

It's in the second race car at the moment, will have to transfer it over once the next race is done.
Thanks given by:
Have you got a bigger picture of that engine bay. Id be interested to see how youve routed things. How is the omex mounted? Do you run the rev cable through to the front loom or do you run it directly from the omex loom to the speedo?
Thanks given by:
Sure: http://i.imgur.com/mQVNfLn.jpg

I've wired up it so I can plug it straight in to the original engine wiring loom connectors down by the rad. Speedo currently isn't working but I think that might be because I haven't set the outputs correctly from the ECU, although I haven't really looked in to it.

It made 205bhp on the dyno which isn't too bad considering it's got very mild cams!
Thanks given by:
you might want to run with the top section of the gearbox mount as it give the mount more rigidity and it less likely to crack the side bolts out the chassis leg Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Oh yea, I was just being lazy and didn't bother to fit it. I think I've driven this car less than a mile in the 18 months I've owned it! Smile Everything will be fitted properly in the race car!
Thanks given by:
Just to keep this up to date I've had 2 races since the last one I posted about.

Brands GP - We were 3rd in class when I went for an overtake to move in to 2nd, unfortunately there was a small bit of contact which ended up with my front right tyre popping off the rim 2 laps later! Ended up dead last (again) after changing the tyre in the pits:

[Image: CAAOCo3l.jpg]

Donington Park GP - 2nd in class by 0.05s! Great race and were a little bit lucky to get 2nd but 3rd would have been well in the bag:

[Image: rrtZcTJl.jpg]

[Image: XtIyQN3l.png]

1 more race to go at Oulton Park in a couple of weeks then the car will get fully stripped down over the winter to rebuilt with the new engine, new dash etc.
Thanks given by:
Cool Smile
Keep it up! I'm trying to figure out my winter plans at the moment but it's currently being used as my daily driver! Aargh!
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
I think only the fuel tank and brake lines will be the only things not taken out of the car!

Current plans are:

Bigger spoiler
Front splitter (with quick release front bumper)
30mm rear ARB
Rear beam rebuild with adjustable camber / toe (possibly)
Ride height lowering
Engine bay repaint
Cabin repaint
Coilover service
Stud conversion
Fibreglass boot and lexan rear window
Shorter FD gearbox
Race Technology DL1 data logger
Race Technology Dash4 Pro OLED
New wiring loom from scratch
New engine getting fitted
Redo some of the vinyl wrap
Flare rear arches
Black masks (maybe)
Trim back dash as much as possible
Remove heater matrix

I think that's it, can't remember!
Thanks given by:
Things don't always go to plan:

[Image: AvERPHpl.jpg]

[Image: 6PUzT8kl.jpg]

[Image: 2sT9KIxl.jpg]

[Image: c2XvTinl.jpg]

We had 2 races at Oulton Park this weekend. The first one was great, a really wet race and some good battles gave us 2nd in class and 4th overall, even with a drive-through penalty for cutting a chicane. With all the rain it was really difficult to see where I was going, at points I had to guess where the next corner was. At one point I got fed up with not being able to see so just lunged for an overtake! Big Grin

Race 2 ended quickly with the damage seen in the photos above. First corner we got a little sideways due to cold tyres and a damp track and then got tapped into a spin. While spinning the car got a big hit from someone else which caused the damage to the front wing and ripped the bumper apart. A shame to end the season that way but no one was hurt and hopefully the damage is repairable!
Thanks given by:
Starting taking the vinyl off last weekend. Decided to get the silver painted on next year which should look really good Smile

[Image: zDgSJO6l.jpg]

[Image: cuxmuuXl.jpg]

[Image: WGfOrKVl.jpg]

The race video is here, it was pretty wet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akAO73OK71I
Thanks given by:
Started stripping the car down this weekend. Got the engine out and most of the front suspension removed. Not the fastest progress as I was taking time to make sure everything was put somewhere organised so I don't lose bits!

On a more exciting note I bought myself some toys:

[Image: YdnXXUGl.jpg]

[Image: troyDzHl.jpg]

[Image: 6iXPmVLl.jpg]

Some progress:

[Image: IjN6DeLl.jpg]

The engine bay really needs a good clean:

[Image: MRzKI6Sl.jpg]

One old engine:

[Image: Z6NsjwTl.jpg]

"Organised":

[Image: i1NKPwTl.jpg]

The scrap pile:

[Image: eHcuRSxl.jpg]

Discovered the passenger side sill was also bent which is not ideal:

[Image: c1LykSPl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sucks about the damage mate but you were flying in the last 5 mins of the race.
Thanks given by:
The damage is part and parcel of racing really. You have to be prepared for a bit of panel damage, otherwise go and do a trackday (not an Action Day though...)
Thanks given by:
oh What does the dashpro do? Replacement speedo and plugs straight into.... omex?
Thanks given by:
The dash plugs in to the data logger which plugs in to the Omex. By plugging the Omex in I can log the engine details such as oil temp, throttle position etc. for my own performance and also to check the engine isn't doing anything crazy. It means that after a run on track I can look back at the data and make sure oil pressure wasn't dropping too much, that sort of thing. The dash then takes this information and displays it along with loads of extra stuff like lap times, sector times etc. It's really cool and being able to look back at the data will be useful especially as it hooks straight in to the GoPro footage so I can get an idea of where I'm losing time very quickly.
Thanks given by:
Bit more of an update. Pulled pretty much everything else out of the engine bay, now only the clutch / reverse cables and brake servo to go:

[Image: acBVfs2l.jpg]

Also managed to get the dash out. Required a bit of cutting due to the cage so I'll have to tidy that up. Still not sure what to do about the heater matrix. I don't need the weight loss of removing it although it's pretty big. Being able to see where I'm going is useful when the car gets steamed up! Big Grin

Lots of stuff still to remove but it got late and I couldn't be bothered to do any more:

[Image: sHgQs2wl.jpg]

[Image: XfPDhhdl.jpg]

Bit of chopping required:

[Image: HcKvQMCl.jpg]

The championship I'm planning on entering next year released their first bit of promo material, look who's front and centre Big Grin (www.trackdaychampionship.co.uk)

[Image: 9nf1dmil.jpg]

And in the Tweeks catalogue!

[Image: cVnoDdil.jpg]
Thanks given by:
nice work buddy!
Thanks given by:
Cheers, progress is going well. Should have the rest of the interior removed this weekend and then I can crack on with repainting things.
Thanks given by:
More work done last weekend. Took all the wiring out of the dash and cut the sides off of it so it fits within the cage much easier. I need to make a plate to cover the ends to neaten it up a bit but it doesn't look too bad:

[Image: GHQdpEyl.jpg]

[Image: YpQHB1Ol.jpg]

[Image: SZpFjxdl.jpg]

[Image: r9T22tql.jpg]

I repainted some parts to make everything look good:

[Image: jXxKsYsl.jpg]

[Image: J2HYMhBl.jpg]

[Image: fGez9M4l.jpg]

Also stripped off the insulation material from under the wipers:

[Image: bORBAThl.jpg]

[Image: oNOb7Ntl.jpg]

In prep for painting the engine bay I used a flap wheel on the surface rust in the engine bay. Made myself a little cave to contain the dust Big Grin

[Image: eqCRlIOl.jpg]

[Image: 7DmCeqzl.jpg]

[Image: vF9hNzEl.jpg]

[Image: 4z0rglEl.jpg]

[Image: TeldGfHl.jpg]

Getting handy with the angle grinder to cut off any unnecessary studs from the engine bay:

[Image: xrAIRynl.jpg]

I also discovered my VTS rack was a bit bent! Probably happened in the crash but not sure:

[Image: rsF6J5pl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Christ you have been cracking on with with! Prep is well on its way! That engine bay looks so bare without everything in there! Can't believe the rack was bent.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Cheers, it's going well. I was hoping to get the car running by the end of December and this might still be possible although the list of things to do before then is pretty long! Main slow down will be creating the new wiring loom.

Hopefully this weekend I can get the engine bay painted, refurb the new steering rack, and start fitting things back on the car! The road car needs some work as well though...
Thanks given by:
Be very interested to know how you get on with the wiring for the dash unit as looking at getting one myself for my 205 (gti6)
Thanks given by:
With the dash, the wiring should be nice and simple as a lot of it is coming from the ECU and data logger.

Currently in the process of drawing up the new loom. Stripping out as much as possible so it only has the basics on it as I don't need it.
Thanks given by:
I did see they did a lead to plug into ecu, so can you just get all the speed, rpm and engine info strait from your omex so only need to wire in lights etc?
Thanks given by:
If you've got an Omex 600 you'll need to send it off and have the firmware changed to support the dash, to be able to output the data they change the way it works slightly. Mine will plug in to the data logger then from there into the dash. This gives me whatever ECU info I want (oil temp, water temp, RPM etc.) and laptime info.
Thanks given by:
Have you had to send yours away then? Doesn't sound quite as strait forward as I'd hoped
Thanks given by: