Odd wiper issue - Solved

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd wiper issue - Solved
Evening chaps

A friend of mine has a p3 hdi and the wipers have started acting up.
The intermittent doesn't work at all. The single swipe doesn't complete it's cycle (stops in the middle of the screen). Wipers do not work with the washers. Normal setting and fast setting works perfectly?
So far I have checked the 2 purple relays which are both good and changed the stalk for a known good one.
The next I suppose is the motor but first wanted to point out that the screen was changed for one that doesn't have the rain sensor, not sure if this is relevant.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
If sensor isnt plugged in, it just reverts to intermittent.

But the fault sounds like a internal motor fault. The tracks and contacts get worn out.

You can replace or rebuild and regrease it Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
check the earth on the drivers side near the washer fluid filler. My headlights were dimming and the wipers were getting stuck halfway through their sweep.
Thanks given by:
Hopefully it'll be the wiper motor, not bad to change, but one of my old DTs I changed the, relays, the stalk and the motor and it did sweet fa... Thankfully that car snapped its camshaft so I don't have to worry about the wiper probkem anymore Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Thanks gents. Motor was my next port of call. Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't the rain sensor causing odd issues.
I'll check the motor out and try to clean the contacts before replacing it. Any guides on this or is it pretty self explanatory?

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Pretty simple

Strip it off to just the motor. The backing plate has 5/6 screws, remove carefully. You will likely find worn tracks and contacts and a lot of old solid grease.
Remove said old grease. Clean the tracks up with a bit of wet n dry. Bend the contacts SLIGHTLY to add with contact pressure and regrease nicely.
refit it all back in!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Legend piggy. Cheers pal, I'll have a go after work tomorrow and update.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Or you open it up and find its full of water with what looks like cheese but is presumably wet grease and wish you'd just swapped it for another. lol

Don't understand why you'd fit a non auto screen to it though?
Thanks given by:
Mines doing the same but it works with the washers
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2014, 09:52 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Or you open it up and find its full of water with what looks like cheese but is presumably wet grease and wish you'd just swapped it for another. lol

It wasn't me that fitted it (or had it fitted). The owner didnt have windscreen cover so a standard screen was £140 and the auto screen was £225!!!

(01-10-2014, 01:10 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: Mines doing the same but it works with the washers

Could be related? I'll update later once I've had a go at cleaning it out.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Recently opened up and cleaned mine as the wipers needed assistance to get going.
Now it works perfectly.
15 min job really.
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2014, 02:06 PM)londondan86 Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 09:52 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Or you open it up and find its full of water with what looks like cheese but is presumably wet grease and wish you'd just swapped it for another. lol

It wasn't me that fitted it (or had it fitted). The owner didnt have windscreen cover so a standard screen was £140 and the auto screen was £225!!!

Sorry, I meant 'why anyone would fit one' not specifically you lol.

That's a pretty significant price difference though! I take it that's not solar reflect tinted either. Confused
Thanks given by:
I've just received my replacement wiper motor. I'll see if it cures it
Thanks given by:
Well went all out and stripped it down and rebuilt it and still exactly the same. Replacement motor needed by the looks Sad

(02-10-2014, 09:09 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: I've just received my replacement wiper motor. I'll see if it cures it

Please do mate

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I'll be looking at this later. Got a replacement motor and stalk.
I'll keep you posted
Thanks given by:
Replacement wiper motor solved my issue. Works fine now Smile
Thanks given by:
Just to update this. Piggy you are wrong!!

After 2 motors, a stalk and 2 relays the problem was that the rain sensor was missing. Got one from the scrappy and plugged it in. Now all wiper functions work.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2014, 03:01 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Just to update this. Piggy you are wrong!!

After 2 motors, a stalk and 2 relays the problem was that the rain sensor was missing. Got one from the scrappy and plugged it in. Now all wiper functions work.

I fcuking knew it!!! That's what I'd narrowed it down to on the missus's old car too, didn't get round to it before it died though, good to hear though, I'd changed everything else Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Chalked up to experience I suppose. Oh well

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
All functions work? Presumably except intermittent if you now just have the sensor hanging there lol?
Thanks given by:
I have had mine unplugged before for weeks with no issues whatsoever.
I know others have too!?!

At least its fixed ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2014, 07:29 PM)Toms306 Wrote: All functions work? Presumably except intermittent if you now just have the sensor hanging there lol?

It's stuck with double sided tape to the windscreen so all working 100% Not been out in it in the rain yet though!

(25-10-2014, 07:53 PM)Piggy Wrote: I have had mine unplugged before for weeks with no issues whatsoever.

Yea yea!!! Tongue lol

Either way it works so thanks to yours and everyone's help Smile

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2014, 08:39 PM)londondan86 Wrote:
(25-10-2014, 07:29 PM)Toms306 Wrote: All functions work?  Presumably except intermittent if you now just have the sensor hanging there lol?

It's stuck with double sided tape to the windscreen so all working 100% Not been out in it in the rain yet though!

(25-10-2014, 07:53 PM)Piggy Wrote: I have had mine unplugged before for weeks with no issues whatsoever.

Yea yea!!! Tongue lol

Either way it works so thanks to yours and everyone's help Smile

Ok, so I am few years late to this discussion, but I have just had the same issue with the windscreen wipers on my 306 and the problem was also my rain sensor.  I too had my windscreen replaced for an older version without a rain sensor.  As soon as I tried the wipers the problem was evident.  Luckily the windscreen shop kept hold of the rain sensor for me. I simply plugged it into the socket which was tucked into the headlining and everything is sorted.  I am not too bothered about a rain water sensor but I am going to bond it onto the windscreen anyway..
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] Swapped tailgate - wiring problems Bengley 1 1,340 31-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Last Post: C2K