Electronic Road Tax Disc.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronic Road Tax Disc.
(29-09-2014, 09:22 PM)Piggy Wrote: They dont meed MOT cert anymore either. Bit random they asked for that

It's because they've been computerised too, when they scanned the reminder note it must automatically check all the relevant databases for MoT and insurance.

There's regularly a DVLA car with a camera at the side of the road around Weymouth checking for untaxed vehicles. With that and the police having ANPR there's a lot less chance of being able to get away with no tax and insurance.
Thanks given by:
Tbh I don't think they know what they need any more.... lol

Can't find anything to back up being able to tax without insurance though. Though if that's the case it kinda defeats the object anyway. Confused
Thanks given by:
As said just drive back on previous owners tax, it's not going to be a problem ?
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
As said above, we don't know if the database will check the date on the V5 and the fact that the new keeper didn't have tax from the same day and you might end up with a fine for no road tax.
The rules are the seller surrenders the road tax.

So unless you are suggesting driving the car home on an extended test drive (perhaps with 3rd party other car cover), then completing the purchase and dating the V5 the day after ??
Which I'm not suggesting is gonna work either if you get stopped randomly.
Thanks given by:
How is any of this different to buying a car under the old system when it wasn't already taxed?

The only thing that I can see is that it's a hell of a lot easier to tax it now as a new owner, because you couldn't do it online under the old system until the V5C was in your name whereas now you will be able to.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2014, 02:59 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: How is any of this different to buying a car under the old system when it wasn't already taxed?

Its not much, but most of us would avoid an untaxed car due to the extra hassle, when the uninsured so must be SORNd rule came in it made it even more difficult. Now there isn't that option at all.

Plus, you could have asked the previous owner to tax on your behalf before you get to the car, which now you can't.
Thanks given by:
I think the tax servers will overload on the 1st of each month as more cars will be taxed then.
Plus I rekon there wont be many private car sales at other times of the month lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2014, 02:59 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: How is any of this different to buying a car under the old system when it wasn't already taxed?

Because I could go to the PO with a insurance doc, the green slip in my name, or hell the full V5 in previous owner, it doesn't matter.
The MOT and I could tax it on the day.
Something I've done many times.

The uninsured SORN rule was ok as you have effectively got a month grace during which the tax disc was in the post on the V15 ?? form. <ahem>
Like how I bought my 306 in July.
Taxed for that month still but no owner insurance on it.
Driven back with day insurance.
Tax ran out end of July.
I swapped my insurance on to it on the 14th August, didn't SORN it in the mean time (as DVLA suggest..)
And Taxed it from beginning of August.

If that were now, I couldn't drive it back as no tax and couldn't tax it if computer says no.

I couldn't do the wait 14 days before taxing either, the car must be continuously SORN'd or taxed according to the rules.
Assume you get 5 days at month beginning to sort it out, followed by auto fine.

BTW, in June I took out two week supplemental cover on my passat for the mother in law to drive it.
Once that ended, the silly buggers removed the car from MID even though there was another policy out standing on it.
I got a letter from the DVLA warning me it wasn't on MID (else fine) and I had to ask my insurance co to put it back on again.

System doesn't make mistakes tho.... Nospeak
Thanks given by:
You will still be able to buy tax at the post office - that hasn't changed as I understand it.

I don't think that anyone has suggested that MID or indeed any other systems are infallible, and most of these issues are quickly resolved at the roadside if there has been a genuine mistake. If you're that paranoid, just keep the receipt / email confirmation printout in the glovebox.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
One thing I have noticed related to this is that DVLA have updated their online vehicle enquiry page to also show MOT expiry dates at long last!
Thanks given by:
That happened months ago. lol It is useful though!

Well, usually is, its been down this morning. Sad
Thanks given by:
Oh well, shows how often I use it then - it's a big improvement either way, which is rare for anything that comes from the DVLA lol
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2014, 04:01 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: most of these issues are quickly resolved at the roadside if there has been a genuine mistake. If you're that paranoid, just keep the receipt / email confirmation printout in the glovebox.

It's not paranoia, it's experience.
Being pulled as the car is marked for no tax, insurance or MOT having done all that morning.
Now the default for no insurance is to impound.
So if you cannot prove it and the company is closed (mine don't work weekends) then you're loosing your car Wink

Just wait till they start saying the same for road tax (or do they already?)
Thanks given by:
they don't for road tax as nobody has paid road tax for 80 years...
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2014, 02:18 PM)nominous Wrote:
(30-09-2014, 04:01 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: most of these issues are quickly resolved at the roadside if there has been a genuine mistake. If you're that paranoid, just keep the receipt / email confirmation printout in the glovebox.

It's not paranoia, it's experience.
Being pulled as the car is marked for no tax, insurance or MOT having done all that morning.
Now the default for no insurance is to impound.
So if you cannot prove it and the company is closed (mine don't work weekends) then you're loosing your car Wink

Just wait till they start saying the same for road tax (or do they already?)

well, whenever i speak to my insurance company, i get the docs mailed to me, and emailed and/or sent via the online portal, like brentacre do..

i think the plod could give 2 fucks less about tax if your vehicle is insured and MOTed, as Tax is more HMRC remit than theirs..

of course if your car is a bag of shit, with 4 bald tyres, 3 brakes a 1 front light working, it will be added to the list.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Oh has anyone managed to find out how to pay monthly. Just taxed the rallye and there is no option to pay by direct debit.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2014, 08:38 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Oh has anyone managed to find out how to pay monthly. Just taxed the rallye and there is no option to pay by direct debit.

Starts 1st Nov.
Thanks given by:
Haha f*cking typical. They had advertised it was starting on the 1st october with all the rest of the changes.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2014, 08:44 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Haha f*cking typical. They had advertised it was starting on the 1st october with all the rest of the changes.

Nope

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

"From 1 October 2014 (5 October if setting up at a Post Office®), Direct Debit will be offered as an additional way to pay for vehicle tax. This will be available for customers who need to tax their vehicle from 1 November 2014"

Worded a little odd, but clearly states you can pay via D/D if you're taxing from 1st Nov.
Thanks given by:
f*cking annoyed as i have to tax my rallye today! monthly DD would of been ideal :angry:
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
It's a pain in the arse but luckily mine doesn't run out til 31st Oct :p
Thanks given by:
Still got my disc in :p will probably stay in til it runs out next year too

I'm still yet to see someone without a disc in tbh
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ELECTRONIC VEHICLE THEFT cully 13 2,830 02-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Pugmarshall