GTi6 not starting after heater matrix bypass

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTi6 not starting after heater matrix bypass
Hi Guys

Got a weird one here, bypassed the heater matrix as it dumped its load in the footwell Sad

I have cut the heater matrix pipes and looped it back on itself as recommended.

Now the car cranks but will not fire up, which is really confusing me, only been since the heater matrix pipe pipe has been done. Now I havent touched any wires, sensors or anything. So in need of some help please

Thanks,
Luke
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you may have knocked something.
Behind the battery is the fuel relay. Check that's plugged in well as this could cause non starting!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Sounds like you may have knocked something.
Behind the battery is the fuel relay. Check that's plugged in well as this could cause non starting!

I hadn't thought of that, good call as I did have the grips down behind the battery trying to undo those bloody squeezy clips, lol. When I get home at 5.30 I'll give it a check.

Thanks bud Smile
Thanks given by:
I know sod all about petrols but personally I would also check the silly inertia switch thingy too incase that isn't playing ball......
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I got so annoyed with it raining all day as well was sick of being piss wet through.

Just my luck of late as I also decided to lose the top bloody thermostat bolt so need to look for that too, lol
Thanks given by:
Is the fuel pump priming?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Could well be the crank sensor as well, brown plug on top of the gearbox. Will randomly go without warning.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
im sure its better to block off the pipes than join them together?
Thanks given by:
Daniel306 Wrote:im sure its better to block off the pipes than join them together?

Yep, so did I, apparently if you join them you are pretty much making a bypass loop as its easier to go through the linked pipes than through the head..........sure that is what darren said last time I saw a thread on this subject!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Ruan: Theres a click so I would guess so

Atterz - I'll check that as working there I may have knocked it lose or something

Daniel/Airey - Whats the best way to block the pipes off then? And what is the gain through doing this and not looping it back on itself?

Sorry to sound dumb guys, been out the game for a bit now, lol

Luke
Thanks given by:
Well by the sounds of it, if you don't block it then the head won't be getting as much flow, therefore wont be getting as much cooling. Best bet is to just stick some bolts in and jubilee clip them in
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:Well by the sounds of it, if you don't block it then the head won't be getting as much flow, therefore wont be getting as much cooling. Best bet is to just stick some bolts in and jubilee clip them in

^^ What he said Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Thanks for the suggestions guys much appreciated.

I managed to get the car to start earlier seems like it might just be down to the air in there making it slightly more difficult to start. Just need to bleed the system now but tonight have literally had minutes to look at it
Thanks given by:
At least your getting there, hope you get it sorted out Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Click isn't enough, check for a buzzing whining noise when you first turn on the ignition from the rear seat area, which then stops after a few seconds...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
I will lift the seat and double check this tonight as well Smile

Thanks for the help Ruan

Luke
Thanks given by:
Ok car is starting now but there is an absolute shit load of air in the system.

I cannot bleed it from the usual highest place of by the heater matrix as these pipes arent being used, so been using the bleed point on the thermostat. Sadly no luck though as it is just air and never any fluids coming out.

I have checked the coolant all nice and topped up just wondering where I can get it bled to stop the heat increasing at an alarming rate and bleed the system fully.

Thanks guys,
Luke
Thanks given by:
Any offerings of help please?

Thanks
Luke
Thanks given by:
friar241 Wrote:Ok car is starting now but there is an absolute shit load of air in the system.

I cannot bleed it from the usual highest place of by the heater matrix as these pipes arent being used, so been using the bleed point on the thermostat. Sadly no luck though as it is just air and never any fluids coming out.

I have checked the coolant all nice and topped up just wondering where I can get it bled to stop the heat increasing at an alarming rate and bleed the system fully.

Thanks guys,
Luke

Correct me if I'm wrong but when bleeding the system you are getting the air out of the system so if you are bleeding it from the thermostat and all that's coming out is air surley you need to keep doing it till some fluid comes out then no? And If the fluid isn't coming through then stick more fluid in Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but when bleeding the system you are getting the air out of the system so if you are bleeding it from the thermostat and all that's coming out is air surley you need to keep doing it till some fluid comes out then no? And If the fluid isn't coming through then stick more fluid in Wink

^^ this, if there is still air coming out then it's not fully bled through is it?!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
and and and! wont it make it harder to bleed having the matrix flowing freely? as then the coolant has to make the choice of the fre flowing pipes, or the twisty castings in the engine?
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
Joe Wrote:and and and! wont it make it harder to bleed having the matrix flowing freely? as then the coolant has to make the choice of the fre flowing pipes, or the twisty castings in the engine?

Read the thread, its blocked off, not linked anymore..............
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I have been bleeding it for about 2 hours over the weekend. I would have thought after this amount of time it would have bled fully. I get little spits now and again but nothing other than that.

Bit frustrating to be honest but more fluids I will has enough anyway but more cant hurt, lol

Thanks guys Smile
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Joe Wrote:and and and! wont it make it harder to bleed having the matrix flowing freely? as then the coolant has to make the choice of the fre flowing pipes, or the twisty castings in the engine?

Read the thread, its blocked off, not linked anymore..............

it didnt say if he had or not :/ sorry
Thanks given by:
friar241 Wrote:I have been bleeding it for about 2 hours over the weekend. I would have thought after this amount of time it would have bled fully. I get little spits now and again but nothing other than that.

Bit frustrating to be honest but more fluids I will has enough anyway but more cant hurt, lol

Thanks guys Smile

Air leak somewhere? If that much air is going in then I would presume that it's got a leak somewhere. Is the bi pass properly sealed? Air could be coming in from there?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
that was gonna be my next suggestion..... do the 6's have little bleed nipples like the dturbo's? mine didnt have any as i bought it spares or repairs after it had frozen over but yanooo........ so i replaced all of mine with m6 bolts, no need for them bolts just bleed it up the old fashion way......
Thanks given by:
Matt - Bypass is sealed propperly ye.

Didnt get chance to look at it last night as it was pissing it down a right good un Sad

Joe - Bleeding points on 6 are heater matrix, thermostat and front on radiator I dont know of any others
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the same problem me and Jake had when trying to bleed his dturbo the other week.

Open the bleed points, remove the rad cap/expansion tank cap, then put your hand over the hole where the cap goes and blow down the little pipe that should be coming off the expansion tank. Blow hard a few times and the system should 'burble', take in some of the water and then you need to top it up again, then just repeat, blow, top up, blow, top up, until water starts coming out of both bleed points, then tighten them up!
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:blow, blow, until ninja starts coming out!

lmao
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, typical heater matrix bypass problem...

You CAN'T bypass a heater matrix... They're surprisingly well balanced to make sure that the water can't NOT pass through there on idle, cooking the head until the thermostat opens, and is restrictive enough so that it makes sure that when the thermostat is open, it isn't easier for the water pump to just shove it all through the heater matrix... The bypass ends up allowing it all to pass through the heater matrix, not cooling the engine right...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heater Matrix Choices Mighty306 0 1,018 18-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Heater matrix hoses and connector mackat 28 6,828 16-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Last Post: mackat
Bug another gti6 not starting kentiiboii 15 3,178 21-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Last Post: kentiiboii