better handeling, what do i need.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
better handeling, what do i need.
got a bit bored and would love to know a few questions really.
got a 1.6 ph3. at the moment its just got jamex springs on the front.
sooner or later im gonna get some coilies but just wondered what else i could do to help with the handeling. i.e arb's drop links that sort of thing.
are the arb's on a 6 a straight swop? im thick, i dont know and thats why im asking you lot.
love ya long time.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
thicker arb maybe off a gti
meyle hd/baker bm bushes on the wishbones
and some gaz gold coilies
basically, ask pompey mark what he has lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
carnt afford the gaz coilies but the rest sounds do able.

will the arb fit straight on?
Thanks given by:
Yep gti arb is direct swap and easy.
Could also do the rear but I think they are slightly more difficult. Could also do the rear TBs.
Drop links won't really make a difference but ad the king of spam said, decent bushes will help! Depends how far you want to go with it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
also get some solid rear beam mounts but only if you have the afore mentioned front set up

also decent engine/gbox mounts are a must
Thanks given by:
i will look into it to see how much it will cost. just need to know what to look for. bushes dont sound to expensive and im sure i can sorce a 6 roll bar.
as for the rear im haveing a 6 axle being stuck on when i get round to it.
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:also get some solid rear beam mounts but only if you have the afore mentioned front set up

also decent engine/gbox mounts are a must
tell me more about these mounts you speak of...
Thanks given by:
http://www.bakerbm.com/306.php?data=engkitn306
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:http://www.bakerbm.com/306.php?data=engkitn306
are these the things i should be looking for?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-9 ... 256df66161
Thanks given by:
Just be careful of the engine mounts. They really make the engine a hell of a lot more solid but the vibration through the car gets a lot worse! Depends what the car is mainly used for!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
no thats just a random link to some shit ones i want you to buy instead Tongue
hahah
yeah theyre the ones

and yeah as niall says they will shake like hell on a diesel not so much on a petrol, even then the diesel ones arent that bad
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Just be careful of the engine mounts. They really make the engine a hell of a lot more solid but the vibration through the car gets a lot worse! Depends what the car is mainly used for!
used as a daily. i know its only a 1.6 but i like to drive it hard.
call me thick but how do thicker engine mounts improve handeling?
Thanks given by:
kingy Wrote:
Niall Wrote:Just be careful of the engine mounts. They really make the engine a hell of a lot more solid but the vibration through the car gets a lot worse! Depends what the car is mainly used for!
used as a daily. i know its only a 1.6 but i like to drive it hard.
call me thick but how do thicker engine mounts improve handeling?
they stop the engine moving so much when changing gear or accelerating they stop the engine chuking its weight around unexpectedly
Thanks given by:
It doesn't really improve handling but improves driving experience greatly. It's mainly the bottom mount that causes vibrations so you could fit a new oem bottom mount and updated box and top mounts.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
so the list so far,
thicker anti roll bar,
bushes,
engine and gear box mounts.
tbf that lot dont seem to bad really.
thanks alot gays, sorry, guys.
anything else then let me know. :clap: :dance:
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't upgrade the front roll bar before upgrading the rear. Stiff front end+soft back end will just cause understeer when pushed.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
New shocks will help of course. B4s are about 120 for a new set and slightly stiffer than the gti shocks but not too bad for general driving. IMO the eBay coilovers are far to stiff
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
got some dampers on the way for the rear to start me off. not looking at doing it yet, just needed to know what to change so i can start looking into it.
Thanks given by:
My GTI6 front ARB is going spare at the minute...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:New shocks will help of course. B4s are about 120 for a new set and slightly stiffer than the gti shocks but not too bad for general driving. IMO the eBay coilovers are far to stiff
heard good and bad things about cheap coilies. but tbf i aint bothered about how hard the ride is. more solid the better.
Thanks given by:
cwspellowe Wrote:My GTI6 front ARB is going spare at the minute...
how much???????
Thanks given by:
kingy Wrote:
Niall Wrote:New shocks will help of course. B4s are about 120 for a new set and slightly stiffer than the gti shocks but not too bad for general driving. IMO the eBay coilovers are far to stiff
heard good and bad things about cheap coilies. but tbf i aint bothered about how hard the ride is. more solid the better.

Not always. It isn't a case of harder it is, the more it handles.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
with ya. see, thats how much i know lol

b4's it is then.
Thanks given by:
A stiff ride is not always a good thing, on rubbish Ebay coilovers it will be rubbish to drive on anything rougher than smooth tarmac..

It depends what you want more, looks or handling. For handling on a budget, I would go for either OEM or Bilstein B4's with Eibach 30mm springs. Then a thicker anti roll bar at the back with thicker torsion bars from a Xsara.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
B4s are win. Still reasonably comfortable and goes round corners just as well as my mates on eBay coilies.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Also worth a mention, good brakes are a must for a good handling car.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
You can f*ck off, before my rear beam pussied out and cambered itself to Timbuktu my car cornered far better than yours.

eBay coilies are horrendously stiff, and I would not recommend them if you use your car as a daily hack. I you don't then I would rate them. Yes they're stuff, but when coupled with the gti ARB's and bigger torsion bars etc, they are epic round corners. Pair that with some nice sticky tyres and you are onto a winner. Maybe try some strut braces too, I fitted my ripp one earlier and it had completely transformed the drive...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Cool.

I still stick by what I said. Where I live those coilovers would be awful.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Sorry but it really doesn't. Only thing you have over me now is tyres.....well until it gets wet!
People seem to think that the stiffer the better and that's only true in one aspect of life and it's not handling!
Even now if I push them tyres I will keep up around "the roundabout"!

Tbh it's personal opinion. As I said, IMO for a daily drive, eBay coils are far to stiff.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Probably so. I suffer from 3 compressed discs in my spine, and if I'm honest hitting a pothole will on occasion shit my back up. Not badly, but I will get a twang. I can live with this though as I love the way the car corners. That be said, it is not a case of minimal body roll is better. A car still needs mechanical grip to operate and respond to cornering g-force correctly. I.e weight transfer to the outside wheels will decrease with the stiffness of the suspension do getting the comprimise right is key.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by: