Engine storage query

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine storage query
I am removing my engine out of my car this weekend and I will be storing it in my shed until I can save up and source a new 3 door hdi project for it to go in and I was just wondering is there anything I need to do to preserve the engine as it will be sat out of a car for about 6 months give or take.
Thanks given by:
Clean it up and keep it dry, if you have a stamped soil floor in the shed cover the ground with a tarp that you also wrap around the engine, there are gasses and moisture oozing from the ground that can cause metal to rust, that's why it's so bad to store cars on anything but asphalt/concrete.
You could spray it with wd40 or similar to give it a light coating of oil for protection.
And make sure there is no water left! I don't know how cold it gets on that island you call home but if there is a risk of freezing, make sure it's properly drained.

All of this could be a bit over the top for 3 months but better safe than sorry :-)

Cheers
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2014, 12:40 PM)Janne L Wrote: Clean it up and keep it dry, if you have a stamped soil floor in the shed cover the ground with a tarp that you also wrap around the engine, there are gasses and moisture oozing from the ground that can cause metal to rust, that's why it's so bad to store cars on anything but asphalt/concrete.
You could spray it with wd40 or similar to give it a light coating of oil for protection.
And make sure there is no water left! I don't know how cold it gets on that island you call home but if there is a risk of freezing, make sure it's properly drained.

All of this could be a bit over the top for 3 months but better safe than sorry :-)

Cheers

Cheers for that, yes it does get to the point of freezing from where I am and the shed is on a concrete base but I will still wrap it in a a tarp. Shoud I leave the oil in it or drain that aswell?
Thanks given by:
As Janne says, really, worth giving it a clean down first too imo so there's no contaminants left sitting on it. Most important on the HDi is the fuel system - store the high-pressure pump in a container of diesel.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Leave the oil in it and replace it after you run the engine up to temperature after refitting the engine, that way you'll use the old oil to wash out any condensation that's accumulated during storage.
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2014, 04:49 PM)Poodle Wrote: As Janne says, really, worth giving it a clean down first too imo so there's no contaminants left sitting on it. Most important on the HDi is the fuel system - store the high-pressure pump in a container of diesel.

Cheers for the advice and I will do that as soon as it comes out. The engine will be fully cleaned while it out and made to look as new as possible again, i want to go stage 2 aswell with it so I will be changing a few things on it while it out and easy to access

(23-09-2014, 05:30 PM)Janne L Wrote: Leave the oil in it and replace it after you run the engine up to temperature after refitting the engine, that way you'll use the old oil to wash out any condensation that's accumulated during storage.

Cheers again all advice it greatly appreciated
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pipe Query RA306 5 1,663 18-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Last Post: RA306
  R70 pump query Paul_13 10 2,269 04-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Last Post: craig306
  Remap query Chris306 2 890 17-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Poodle