excess random smoke in traffic!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
excess random smoke in traffic!
Okay so this is my first post! Just got myself a 306 hdi meridian, was in a long line of traffic waiting for kfc drive thru (as you do) i noticed my temperature slowly rising higher and higher, then reached just above 90 then smoke started pouring what seemed to be out the exhaust and from the front grill, there was also a slight burning smell, should i be worried? :/ no idea what it could be!

The smoke was white btw...
Thanks given by:
I'd say it's steam from the cooling system...and yeah you probably should be worried about that. Confused

It's not impossible to be headgasket symptoms, but check other things first! First check the level of the coolant in the header tank. And see if theres a big orange mess in your engine bay lol.
Thanks given by:
The coolant level is fine and there is no mess in the engine bay, this is why im confused haha its perfectly fine when driving, engine temp stays at around low 70's, its just when i was stationary for about 20 mins with it idling after doing a 55 mile journey....
Thanks given by:
20 mins idling! Think of the wasted fuel. Confused

I wouldn't be too bothered about the exhaust smoke tbh, I've seen a few white smoke at idle when warm, not sure why though!

But the smoke/steam from the grill definitely isn't normal. If it never really gets up to temp, I suppose the coolant could've just been overfilled and the pressure from the system blew the excess out of the rad cap when it finally git hot enough.
Thanks given by:
Souunds like fans not kicking in causing it to overheat
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
How can i tell if the fans working? I cant hear it coming on.... maybe thats the issue then?
Thanks given by:
As Bernard says, sounds like you cooked it. Odd the smoke should come out the exhaust as well though, fingers crossed its not done the headgasket at the same time.

Other possibility is it popped the exhaust side oil seal on the turbo, but that doesn't explain the smoke from the front, unless you have an exhaust leak..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fans wont be on just above 90 anyway, low speed isn't on until 92... Unless by just above 90 you meant 110.... lol
Thanks given by:
Is there any way of making the fan kick in earlier?
Thanks given by:
Switch your aircon on, if it's working.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black smoke with exhaust and egr valve smoke in engine Welshy_Pete 35 12,125 30-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle